Re: Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby Scotty on Wed 30/Oct/13 11:47am

Conners wrote:
properzel wrote:In saying that, I got my new mac book today and loving it.. so OSX is an option as well

This is Scotty you're talking to here :lol:

Hey man, I have an iPod! That's progress!

(I use a WMP plug in to manage it though, would rather put sand in my eyes than have iTunes bork my computer up - again)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Wed 30/Oct/13 11:58am

danose wrote:
RJD wrote:Looking forward to 8.1 sometime soon which fixes a few issues. I would be shocked if win9 killed the classic desktop that would be suicide.

already installed 8.1 here (the joy of it being on a sacrificial machine - nothing to lose)

Yeah we have it on a few machines at work for a while but I am holding off installing at home for a bit! :D
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 30/Oct/13 12:09pm

+1 for Libre Office, I use it on Windows. It is less polished and sophisticated than MS Office but I'm a very basic user.

I switched from Open Office a while back. There is something to do with licensing that makes OO improvements available to Libre but not the reverse, so for the moment Libre is getting more development.
It has been said that for license related reasons OpenOffice may win in the much longer term, I can't remember the reasoning.

Regular updates for XP will stop next year but I seem to recall that with Windows 95 there were a few critical security patches released after the cutoff. Cutoff dates are like launch dates, they have a habit of being delayed.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby danose on Wed 30/Oct/13 12:41pm

RJD wrote:Yeah we have it on a few machines at work for a while but I am holding off installing at home for a bit! :D

does the old rule of 'wait for the first service pack' apply to something effectively IS a service pack? :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 30/Oct/13 2:35pm

RJD wrote:There will be no security updates for XP once it is not supported. Its 12 years old how long do you expect microsoft to bother supporting it for?

until I replace the hardware its running on when it shits itself, duh.

We only replaced our Server 2003 this year. mumble mumble fucking ripoff microsoft mumble why is this costing me money grumble I pay for it but it does nothing to earn me money.

All our PCs are Win 7 I think

HTH
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby RJD on Wed 30/Oct/13 3:29pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
RJD wrote:There will be no security updates for XP once it is not supported. Its 12 years old how long do you expect microsoft to bother supporting it for?

We only replaced our Server 2003 this year. mumble mumble fucking ripoff microsoft mumble why is this costing me money grumble I pay for it but it does nothing to earn me money.

HTH

Xp wont suddenly stop working, but you wont get patches for it. Your free to carry on using it and so are probably many other people once a few exploits sit round unpached..:D
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 30/Oct/13 3:31pm

We just upgraded from XP to 7. Nothing makes you appreciate the Mac at home more than the shit PC at work :p
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Kev on Wed 30/Oct/13 4:57pm

I have used Linux as my home desktop for, at least the past 10 years. I happen to use fedora because I worked for the company, but given a clean slate I would go with Ubuntu because of the community. If you have a problem it's more likely that there's someone else running Ubuntu who has had the same problem and posted a solution. If you need an app it is more likely someone has packaged it for Ubuntu.

Mind you, if you're running xp I'm guessing you don't have cutting edge hardware so you might consider something like Xubuntu which is Ubuntu with a lighter weight desktop (xfce). As a bonus it might even feel a bit more like xp than the "spacially intuitive" desktops that they foist on linux users these days.

For office apps, have you looked at google apps? or if compatibility is paramount, Office365
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Scotty on Wed 30/Oct/13 7:35pm

ohhh! Office 365 option is smart, hadn't thought of that.
Scotty

Postby foremannz on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:23pm

One thing I find with people judging Windows 7 is they think XP is better - its simpler, but not better. Windows 7 is a massive rework XP, and they fixed some big design flaws carried over from Windows 3 days, namely memory management.

Everything up to Windows XP was about freeing up memory, from times when memory was expensive, but that makes the computer work inefficiently, since its constantly working to keep as much ram free as it could.
From Windows 7 Beta (aka, Vista), it was built around making better use of hardware. One of the changes was it tried to fill RAM with everything it needed, but people used to the XP era couldn't get used to it and thought they could run Vista on 512MB RAM, and so in vendors under specing their gear, it gave Vista a bad name. In comparison, I ran Vista x64 for a client with 8GB RAM to compare it to their XP computer, and with the same software, it took a 45 minute video editing process down to 10 minutes.

Windows 7 is pretty much a rewrite of Vista (go into CMD in Vista, type ver, and its Windows 6, type ver in Windows 7, and its 6.1 ;) ), with alot of cosmetic changes, but the core is still pretty much the same. It does have some cool features, like separating the hardware and software, unlike Windows XP which combined them (ever tried to take a clone of an XP to different hardware???) - this aids in cloning and backups, because if its missing a critical driver, it says so before it starts to load the OS. I've had no problems taking images of Windows 7 computers and putting them on different hardware.

And as a last bit to add, my Windows 7 computer runs 16GB of RAM, but in running the basic setup I have atm, its only using 2.51GB - give Windows 7 4GB of RAM (under $100 for new), and I promise you it will be very nice to use.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:46pm

Chromebox, chromebook.

I spend 100% of my time browser based now.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:47pm

(of course - it is kind of my job but hey)
thelivo

Postby Scotty on Wed 30/Oct/13 9:01pm

errr. out the box Chromebook or some hack-and-slash jobbie?

If the former, where'd you get it from?
Scotty

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 30/Oct/13 9:19pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:

HTH
:withstupid:
M$ need to make their systems do what the people using it and paying them money (ie businesses) want them to do, not to force the IT industries vision of how business should work. This would be like being told your people mover is obselete and we don't make parts so now buy a super tourer, it's what the cool kids are driving.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 30/Oct/13 9:24pm

Scotty wrote:errr. out the box Chromebook or some hack-and-slash jobbie?

If the former, where'd you get it from?

Company supplies them - so possibly not much help! Mine is an old one - samsung 550. Mate has the pixel, which is awesome but an outrageous cost, and we trial just about every model. I'm just waiting for one thats built nicely with a battery that lasts all day, and I'll get one for myself.
The recent acer is the current pick - boring tho.
thelivo

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts