Re: Tyre Recommendation For Taupo

Postby thelivo on Thu 25/Sep/14 9:07pm

I couldnt fit 28's in my roadie comfortably, so be careful before going down this path.
(By comfortably, they fitted and the wheels went round, but every time a bit of gravel stuck to the tire it would make a graunching noise as it dragged through the fork crown/bb area)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 26/Sep/14 12:43pm

thelivo wrote:I couldnt fit 28's in my roadie comfortably, so be careful before going down this path.
(By comfortably, they fitted and the wheels went round, but every time a bit of gravel stuck to the tire it would make a graunching noise as it dragged through the fork crown/bb area)

:withstupid:
no way my roadie will take 28s -similar problems to above with 25's
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 26/Sep/14 1:41pm

The other problem is chainstay clearance on the rear. Consider how prone your rim is to getting bashed out of true or breaking a spoke (less spokes -> more bend), and how much rubbing the tyre sidewall can handle.

Steel stays can take rubbing for ages. Aluminium will gradually can get worn away if the road is wet. I believe carbon is much more vulnerable so a wee bend might end your ride if there isn't enough tyre clearance.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby slumdog on Tue 30/Sep/14 12:27pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
thelivo wrote:I couldnt fit 28's in my roadie comfortably, so be careful before going down this path.

:withstupid:
no way my roadie will take 28s -similar problems to above with 25's

Yarp, my rear brake bridge has all the paint scraped off it. A 28 might fit, but I'm not willing to try!

And yeah, my tyre pressures are what I'm comfortable with. I believe trial and error is the way to go, start high (like 110 or more) to where the tyre feels too stiff or a little sketchy, and reduce 5psi at a time until it feels too squishy, then go back up and you found your fav pressure..

Interestingly, I heard recently a chap who rides 25mm at 110psi on a narrow width rim, and only 85psi on a newer wide type rim, that's significant!
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 30/Sep/14 8:45pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Michelin Pro 4 alleged 25mm seems to measure 28mm on a modern 15mm rim.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/28mm_Tire_Shootout_4059.html

Yeah shit is wiiiide, they do measure 27mm on my Ksyrium Equipe's and my partners Fulcrum Racing 3's

They are pretty big volume too, they sit quite tall off the rim, my partner has a Merida Scultura 907 which has the higher spec frame with shorter chainstays than the base models and only has about 1.5mm of clearance with the seat tube. They clear her Ultegra 6800 brake calipers and clear my Dura Ace 7900 calipers fine though (and my old Ultegra 6700 calipers too)

They are cushy and sticky as though, and seem to be reasonably hardy, I've had a set on since November last year and maybe got two punctures since then? Seem to wear pretty good, nothing different to anything else comparable really. Rear is pretty shot after almost a year but I'd wear through anything else at the same rate, they last a hell of a lot better and don't cut up anywhere near as Schwalbe Ultremo's at any rate...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 30/Sep/14 9:33pm

slumdog wrote:...

And yeah, my tyre pressures are what I'm comfortable with. I believe trial and error is the way to go, start high (like 110 or more) to where the tyre feels too stiff or a little sketchy, and reduce 5psi at a time until it feels too squishy, then go back up and you found your fav pressure..

Interestingly, I heard recently a chap who rides 25mm at 110psi on a narrow width rim, and only 85psi on a newer wide type rim, that's significant!

That sounds right. I mostly have old skinny rims (13mm inside width) and with a 28mm tyre in hard cornering the bike weaves and wobbles very scarily at the soft pressure I prefer. 15mm rims seem much more stable with wide tyres.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Wed 1/Oct/14 8:39pm

Interesting articles linked above, what would the optimum rim sizes for the 41mm tyres, about 30mm internal? Ironically that's way wider than most MTB rims available. Looking at pushing the button on a lite-bicycle wheelset for MTB and noticed they do 'wide' 18mm internal road rims too, still 3mm wider than normal.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts