Re: Tyre Pressure Front / Rear Balance

Postby AgrAde on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:04pm

I weigh 75 and I don't go below 35psi in the rear on tubeless without risking burps. I used to run 40 to avoid pinching when I had tubes, but I weighed more like 85 then.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:12pm

also depends a lot WHERE you ride too.... I had to pump my tires up a fair bit to ride at vegas cause berms.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:18pm

Farm wrote:Getting back to closer to on track.
I've never been able to ride lower than about 45 psi, even tubeless. I weigh about 100kg.
I assume it's because I ride like a spaz, banging into stuff rather than shifting my weight to get over stuff more gently?

45?? WTF?? :exclaim:

I am a spazz and hit things retardedly hard and I've never run more than 35pies on the rockiest DH course evar. :cry:
I'm also not far short of 100kg at the moment. :blink:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Farm on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:30pm

I bash the rims semi-regularly. I burp a lot of goo out of tubeless tyres. On hard surfaces I find the tyre squirms around a lot.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:44pm

Tubeless ready maxxis HR2 f and minion DHF r on stans flows (23mm) 26f 30r and I'm 120 pies atm. No squirm and no burping. And I ride reasonably hard.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 7/Apr/15 8:47pm

Farm wrote:I bash the rims semi-regularly. I burp a lot of goo out of tubeless tyres. On hard surfaces I find the tyre squirms around a lot.

What rims and tyres are you running?
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Farm on Tue 7/Apr/15 9:12pm

I had bontrager 29-2 rims with a conti x-king rear and WTB weir wolf on the front. They were tubeless but put tubes in, the rear especially was constantly burping goo out.
Sold that whole bike and I've got 2 very gentle rides on new tubed Onza Canis on DT Swiss 1900s. Can't really say much about them coz I' haven't really ridden them.

On the trail bike I have tubes in Kenda Nevegals on Mavic 819 rims. Were Tubeless but I put tubes in mainly because I ride that bike so infrequently they'd be flat and out of goo when I went to ride it. Even tubeless Id have them pumped up to nearly 40.
Farm

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 7/Apr/15 9:26pm

Farm wrote:On the trail bike I have tubes in Kenda Nevegals on Mavic 819 rims. Were Tubeless but I put tubes in mainly because I ride that bike so infrequently they'd be flat and out of goo when I went to ride it. Even tubeless Id have them pumped up to nearly 40.

Probably your issue there: too skinny to provide much support, hence the burps.
My issues with burping were minimised when I moved on from those rims to wider Flows.
Running lower pressures now.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 7/Apr/15 9:38pm

Farm wrote:I had bontrager 29-2 rims with a conti x-king rear and WTB weir wolf on the front. They were tubeless but put tubes in, the rear especially was constantly burping goo out.
Sold that whole bike and I've got 2 very gentle rides on new tubed Onza Canis on DT Swiss 1900s. Can't really say much about them coz I' haven't really ridden them.

On the trail bike I have tubes in Kenda Nevegals on Mavic 819 rims. Were Tubeless but I put tubes in mainly because I ride that bike so infrequently they'd be flat and out of goo when I went to ride it. Even tubeless Id have them pumped up to nearly 40.

What width tires maing?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Farm on Tue 7/Apr/15 9:57pm

The Kendas are 2.35, I think the other 2 were 2.25 on the back and 2.35 on the front.
Farm

Postby mfw on Wed 8/Apr/15 5:11pm

Can't waste all this valuable data, it's been a while since I've done a leaderboard :D

Code: Select all
Name        Tonnage     Front    Rear    Info
mfw            76         18      18     32mm rims, 2.4 tyres (must ride like a soft cock)
mfw            76         23      23     19mm
wachtourak     73         23      26     23mm rims, 2.35 tyres (dieter of the year)
Percy Pig      99         25      30     Trail and DH, dents rims
schmoodiver   120         26      30     23mm rims, 2.35 tyres (fast downhill)
Wobbler       110         32      32     25.5mm rims, 2.5 tyres
AgrAde         75         32      35     23mm rims, 2.4 tyres, doesn't like burps
AgrAde         85                 40
Farm          100         45      45     Burps and bashes regularly
Last edited by mfw on Wed 8/Apr/15 6:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 8/Apr/15 5:40pm

Haha, for the record i have i23s and flows and use 2.4 maxxis tires and my fronts are set at ~32.

I like that I'm in first place regarding rear pressure per kilogram.
AgrAde

Postby scatter on Wed 8/Apr/15 5:51pm

shmoodiver wrote:also depends a lot WHERE you ride too.... I had to pump my tires up a fair bit to ride at vegas cause berms.

I reckon this is why I still tend to run my tyre pressures on the high side (learnt to ride in Vegas).
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 8/Apr/15 6:08pm

There is heroic levels of grip there year-round too (unless you're competing in an enduro) so it makes for some gleeful confidence in high cornering speeds.
AgrAde

Postby .I. on Wed 8/Apr/15 9:40pm

:ib:
Last edited by .I. on Wed 8/Apr/15 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
.I.
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts