Re: Tubes - Are They All Crap?!

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 6/Jan/12 8:00pm

Oli wrote:Apart perhaps from the very cheapest, shittiest tubes there is no way a tube will puncture without a reason. Check your rim, rimstrip and/or tyre thoroughly.

Thanks pbr :)
I use good cloth rim tape and it's happen(ing) on both my usual road bikes.

What about the 1.2mm think tubes?
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Fri 6/Jan/12 8:07pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
Oli wrote:Apart perhaps from the very cheapest, shittiest tubes there is no way a tube will puncture without a reason. Check your rim, rimstrip and/or tyre thoroughly.

Thanks pbr :)
I use good cloth rim tape and it's happen(ing) on both my usual road bikes.

What about the 1.2mm think tubes?
Cloth rimtape can collect grit and crap which embeds in the weave, so it's possible that it's that. Pinholes don't just magically appear unless your tube is so perished it's falling apart. There's no need to go for thicker tubes unless you want the extra weight - you're a special case, but not that special, Farty.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 6/Jan/12 8:11pm

Just go tubeless, problem solved.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Claude on Fri 6/Jan/12 8:17pm

I tried some of those cheap 10 for approx $3 each tubes from a certain online shop with a number in the name :satan: , and they're crap. It wasn't as much getting unexplained holes in them, it was the valves - I think it was 3 of the 10 either let go completely when they got up round 100psi (road tubes) or they just jammed up and wouldn't pump properly.

Lesson learned - buy cheaply, get quality to match.

Not that I'm saying this is always the case, but I haven't had any problems with the likes of dearer Conti tubes, and the CSI ones from the LBS have generally been ok too.
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 8/Jan/12 7:40am

Claude wrote:I tried some of those cheap 10 for approx $3 each tubes from a certain online shop with a number in the name :satan: , and they're crap. It wasn't as much getting unexplained holes in them, it was the valves - I think it was 3 of the 10 either let go completely when they got up round 100psi (road tubes) or they just jammed up and wouldn't pump properly.

Lesson learned - buy cheaply, get quality to match.

Not that I'm saying this is always the case, but I haven't had any problems with the likes of dearer Conti tubes, and the CSI ones from the LBS have generally been ok too.

I'm thinking you're probaby right and perhaps my other ones are just getting old and feeble (they're not alone :blush: )
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby kneemick on Sun 8/Jan/12 2:25pm

wachtourak wrote:Just go tubeless, problem solved.

:withstupid:
I bought tubeless rims for just that reasons - 3 punctures in 1 ride on the roadie (using lbs tubes) but haven't had a flat since going tubeless. Mtbs all have tubes and seem to only ever get flats when I go round Karapoti :)
kneemick
"In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 8/Jan/12 3:22pm

i am running the same 10 tubes i got from t7 3-4 years ago on my training wheels, including - minus one or two that valves failed on. low price = cheap tyre, generally, but i'm not sure that high price = good tyre, in a lot of cases . . . .
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 8/Jan/12 4:56pm

I had a puncture on thursday for the first time in many many months on my road bike... it was a nail about 4cm long god knows how it picked up.... but it was the first time I had to use co2 cannister in anger....

Those continental Gator skins are the best I can ride over glass and no probs don't do so well 4cm nails though
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 8/Jan/12 6:29pm

Gatorskins are amazing. I finally got around to trying the superglue trick recently and went through a bunch of old tyres.
Grippy racing tyres seem to cut easily.
Kenda Koncept and some other supercheapies rubber gets tons of tiny cuts as well as the big ones, or maybe they are disintegrating spontaneously.
Gatorskins and Armadillo rubber just doesn't seem to pick up nearly so many cuts, even the wee surface ones.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slumdog on Tue 10/Jan/12 1:20pm

What's the superglue trick?
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 10/Jan/12 3:16pm

Mickyfinn wrote:I had a puncture on thursday for the first time in many many months on my road bike... it was a nail about 4cm long god knows how it picked up.... but it was the first time I had to use co2 cannister in anger....

Those continental Gator skins are the best I can ride over glass and no probs don't do so well 4cm nails though

Yeah, the Gatorskins are great :thumbsup: I’ve had one on the back of one bike for months and apart from flattening it has very few cuts.

Re the 4cm nail I encouraged a friend to do the old cut off tyre within the tyre trick for his commuting (19kms each way, roadbike). He would normally get 2/3 punctures a week.
He didn’t get any with his bike like that apart from a builders staple going through both tyres.
He went back to just one tyre though – the other set up was so SLOW :(
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 11/Jan/12 1:11am

slumdog wrote:What's the superglue trick?

i would like to know too.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby avantibill on Sat 14/Jan/12 9:07pm

I haven't had any trouble from the tubes from a certain online store that has a marine weapon in it's name. I was getting a number of punctures when I was running a racing tyre on my commuter road bike, but since changing the tyres to the more durable Maxxis Re Fuse two months ago, I haven't had a puncture since.
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Mon 16/Jan/12 2:00pm

I found no difference in puncture resistance between tubes, but the valves on the cheap T7 tubes often made the tyre difficult to inflate roadside.

not so much between tyres either - Conti gp4000s more durable than Gatorskins for example, also tried Maxxis Refuse, Armadillo elites. A pair of Bontager RXL's (?) that lasted ok over winter were a bit of a surprise. Pulled several bits of glass out of one of them yesterday.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts