Tubeless On The Cheap ?

Postby comadi on Sat 26th May 10:02pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9DM34LHAo

Has anyone tried this, specifically the using of your valves off your old tubes ? (at 4 minutes into the video)
I'm thinking of converting my road wheels with 80 mm valve stems.

Question for an old newby, what stops the sealant in tubeless from blocking up your valve ?
comadi
Member for: 1 year 8 months

Re: Tubeless On The Cheap ?

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 26th May 10:16pm

road tubeless requires specific tires and rim shapes
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby mfw on Sat 26th May 10:28pm

Ran valves cut out from old tubes on mtb for years with no problems. The sealant never blocked the valves, stays liquid until contact with the outside air I guess.
Yeah I would think a bit more carefully about running ghetto tubeless on road wheels.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby comadi on Sun 27th May 6:17pm

shmoodiver wrote:road tubeless requires specific tires and rim shapes

I was up for new tyres, but thought I might get away with the existing rims. Maybe not :huh:
I've got a pair of Shimano RS 81 C50 and a pair of RS 010's
comadi

Postby comadi on Sun 27th May 6:21pm

mfw wrote:Ran valves cut out from old tubes on mtb for years with no problems. The sealant never blocked the valves, stays liquid until contact with the outside air I guess.
Yeah I would think a bit more carefully about running ghetto tubeless on road wheels.

What tape do you use ?
My MTN Bike has tubeless ready rims, but wifey's MTN Bike doesn't. She has 27.5 Alex Rims.
comadi

Postby mfw on Mon 28th May 10:18pm

comadi wrote:
mfw wrote:Ran valves cut out from old tubes on mtb for years with no problems. The sealant never blocked the valves, stays liquid until contact with the outside air I guess.

What tape do you use ?
My MTN Bike has tubeless ready rims, but wifey's MTN Bike doesn't. She has 27.5 Alex Rims.

I used 3M duct tape for my first set, but it was fiddly because I had to cut down the width, once done it worked ok but was lifting off a bit after a couple of years.
For my next set of wheels I got a variety of tapes (different widths etc) from http://tapespec.co.nz/ told them what I was using it for, it was all white and shiney lol, and it's still running sweet 4 years later.
Always ran non-tubeless tyres and some were 'thirstier' than others to get the initial seal.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Cycling | Road Tyres | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts