Tripping It To The States & Canada

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 12/Jan/10 12:26pm

So I've pretty much decided that 2010 will be the year that I take off to Canada and the states for a pilgrimage to some of the holy trails. :thumbsup:
Advice,
where to go,
where to ride,
What to do on (and off) the bike
best place to book flights (online or otherwise)
what type of bike to take - Trail bike vs freeride Dh bike
any advice from people who have done it, and so on and so forth :roll:
Must see locations i've already decided on:
Moab
Colorado
Washington State (for a friends wedding) + riding
Vancouver
British Columbia
whistler
Ottawa - Visiting a friend and more riding

+ any other locations to be decided

Time allowance: Possibly upto 3-4 months
Looking into working in the states or Canada, with the potential to stay longer, possibly finding work in the bike trade if I can find work, or as a summer camp counsellor, would be great if I can find a camp in durango that I could go mountain biking :cool:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Tripping It To The States & Canada

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 12/Jan/10 12:31pm

Remember world champs are in Mont St Anne at the start of September - might be a good idea to time your trip east (Ottawa) to lead in to that.

In looking at flights for me this year I found the best deals by far via expedia.co.nz (through air canada - whoever you fly with make sure you check out all the details for sports equipment).
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 12/Jan/10 1:13pm

Hi Bob,
I lived in Colorado for a few years and did a quite few mountain bike rode trips to around Co (Durango, Fruita) California (Marin county - most of the famous trails in the area have been closed to bikers since the mid 90's :( ) and Utah.
For a bike, It depends on what type of riding you want to do, I would personally choice at AM style, as a lot of the classic trails involve a bit of peddling. I've also been to BC and you'd definitely want something AM-FR.
Other places to ride:
Fruita Co (1.5hrs from Moab)
Durango Co
Vail Co (3 hr from Moab)
Aspen Co (4.5 hr from Moab)
Crested Butte Co
Big Bear Ca
Nelson BC (actually heaps epic riding in this area, nice town to chill from the big cities, about 6 hours east of Vancouver)
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby mundi on Tue 12/Jan/10 1:51pm

Talk about spoilt for choice!!

2nd for Fruita, Colarado.
Moab, Have to do the Kokopelli/ Porcupine rim trail, its ace. And dont forget the rest of Utah, like Hurricane and St george ( the Gooseberry Mesa is wicked also)
Washington: Bellingham has some sweet trails, Galbraith (I think).
Vancouver is a must.
Resorts in Canada: Silverstar, Sun Peaks, Whistler (obviously), Fernie, Kicking Horse. Fernie town and Golden ( Moonrakers) also have awesome trail outside of the resorts and are not to be missed.
Revelstoke. The local trails are mint ( when ridden the correct way) and the Keystone and Seven Summits ride is also wicked, more back country epic type stuff.
Nelson, Kamloops, Rossland, pretty much everywhere has mint riding.

Damn, I wanna go back again now...
mundi
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 12/Jan/10 1:54pm

mundi wrote:Damn, I wanna go back again now...

Now's no good - all covered in snow :p
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby valid! on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:00pm

i did whistler last summer for 3 months and loved it so much im back end of may!

but this time im hoping to include all the other places like pemberton, squamish and north shore that other pepps have been talking about.

and im defo hoping to make it to the wc in mont st anne.

i found cheap tix on expedia.com, cheaper than expedia.co.nz!

in whistler you can stay at the staff acco its real cheap and close to town. and no, you dont have to be member of staff to live there.

for the show and atmosphere, i would defo go to whistler during crankworx. and if youre in colorado, the crankworx look super sick there too!

well, thats my 5 cents worth of advise :)
valid!
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby mundi on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:02pm

wgtngrl wrote:
mundi wrote:Damn, I wanna go back again now...

Now's no good - all covered in snow :p

Dont bother me with tiny insignificant details! Im dreaming here...... :p
mundi

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:07pm

all good advice thanks everyone, keep it coming in :thumbsup:
I Need a :so exited I could jump up and down all day: emotion thinking about the trip. :rolleyes: :D
Last edited by Mr_Bob on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"

Postby thorg on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:08pm

x2 for Ferne & Nelson & Kamloops.

Camping in BC used to be free in forest parks, including free chopped firewood - though this wasnt publicised. You had to go to the local information centre and ask specifically for the free campsite maps. they usually involved a half dozen kms on gravel roads (they were marked as 4x4, but any old front wheel drive hatch could get down all the ones I saw) which kept the use really low. The parks themselves were fantastic for exploring - if you dont want to see another person for days at a time (great, unless you munt yourself), full of trails that go everywhere - take a map and compass, and wear a bear bell.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:21pm

Oh yeah the snow thing,
You will have to time things well if you plan to start riding in their spring (April-May) as a lot of higher altitude stuff will still be under snow (some want be clear till late June) and there is the snow melt to deal with (lots of mud or wet grit and slippery roots). I would suggest the desert area's of Utah and around Fruita, Colorado if you want to ride in spring, by then most of the alpine stuff should be dry enough to ride by end of June. Arizona is another early place to ride, but I've personally never rid there. (It's the home of Titus).
Last edited by kiwi_zg on Tue 12/Jan/10 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 12/Jan/10 2:24pm

thorg wrote:x2 for Ferne & Nelson & Kamloops.

Camping in BC used to be free in forest parks, including free chopped firewood - though this wasnt publicised. You had to go to the local information centre and ask specifically for the free campsite maps. they usually involved a half dozen kms on gravel roads (they were marked as 4x4, but any old front wheel drive hatch could get down all the ones I saw) which kept the use really low. The parks themselves were fantastic for exploring - if you dont want to see another person for days at a time (great, unless you munt yourself), full of trails that go everywhere - take a map and compass, and wear a bear bell.

This is like the 4th helpful post this week you've made Thorg, cease and DESIST!!!!
SlackBoy
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby StyledAirtime on Tue 12/Jan/10 3:04pm

Im living on the Northshore in Vancouver now.
Its sick ,plenty of bike shops to work in.
3 mountains full of trails near by ,not to mention everything with in an hour of here ,plus Whistler is 1.45 hours down the road. squamish is sick. Indoor 4x for winter.

To good!

Bring a FR bike ,and a AM. youll want both when your here.
StyledAirtime
"Film Filmable things to make films."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby fuse on Tue 12/Jan/10 3:15pm

Hey
I on my was to New Zealand for Feb/March

You show me some of your trails ... I will show you mine . Im in the Toronto area www.dropmachine.com ( close to Ottawa , and north of Toronto is lift acc on small Blue Mnt. ) and out on the west coast North shore in the summer ( our summer june july aug ) .

Plan on riding as many places as I can find in NZ , North and South Island .

cheers
fuse
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 12/Jan/10 3:19pm

fuse wrote:Hey

You show me some of your trails ... I will show you mine . Im in the Toronto area http://www.dropmachine.com ( close to Ottawa , and north of Toronto is lift acc on small Blue Mnt. ) and out on the west coast North shore in the summer ( our summer june july aug ) .

cheers

You got yourself a deal Fuse, I'll send you a Pm :)
So do I take the socom or a 5-6" trail bike dammit :ib: :D
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"

Postby mundi on Tue 12/Jan/10 5:29pm

Mr_Bob wrote:
fuse wrote:Hey

You show me some of your trails ... I will show you mine . Im in the Toronto area http://www.dropmachine.com ( close to Ottawa , and north of Toronto is lift acc on small Blue Mnt. ) and out on the west coast North shore in the summer ( our summer june july aug ) .

cheers

You got yourself a deal Fuse, I'll send you a Pm :)
So do I take the socom or a 5-6" trail bike dammit :ib: :D

6inch.
While there is a lot and I mean a lot of stuff for the socom, the 6 inch would serve you better I rekon.
mundi

Canada | Cycling | Mountain Biking | North America | Regions | United States of America - Latest Posts