Uk Trip; Looking For Vintage Bike Shops...

Postby ChumlyPogward on Sun 7/Dec/14 9:49am

So I am rather reluctantly going to the UK for 3 weeks over xmas, but I thought I would make the most of it by trying to find myself a really proper vintage bike, something from the 1900's or thereabouts.

I have done a bit of an internet search but being the UK there are 1x billion bike shops, and I will not have the time to go and visit them all, so I would like some advice on where to look from the no doubt terribly well informed Vorbsters.

We will be in London for a couple of days, then Cardiff for another couple, then Bath for the remainder.

Ideally what I want is a shop owned by an old boy who has never used the internet, has extensive firsthand esoteric knowledge of all british bicycles, has several hundred unrestored vintage bikes in his sheds, and will talk for hours whilst my wife and children fidget in the car, getting more and more livid by the second.

Any help?
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Uk Trip; Looking For Vintage Bike Shops...

Postby mark2c on Sun 7/Dec/14 3:41pm

ChumlyPogward wrote:
Ideally what I want is a shop owned by an old boy who has never used the internet, has extensive firsthand esoteric knowledge of all british bicycles, has several hundred unrestored vintage bikes in his sheds, and will talk for hours whilst my wife and children fidget in the car, getting more and more livid by the second.

Any help?

There is no help for them
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Sun 7/Dec/14 4:11pm

Maybe Singletrack forum could help, aren't they English?

I have no idea where you'd find one, but there's a shop for everything in London, you don't realise until you start looking.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby Binder on Sun 7/Dec/14 5:12pm

http://www.hilarystone.com

Hilary is about 50km north of Cardiff, and if you need a surly old boy who'll patronise you for hours before, grudgingly, selling you a vintage frame, then he's your man.

Shopping for vintage frames in London will probably require wrestling a hipster. You could also try http://www.retrobike.co.uk if you like internet arguments about period-correct crank bolts.
Binder
Member for: 3 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 7/Dec/14 7:22pm

Binder wrote:..... You could also try http://www.retrobike.co.uk if you like internet arguments about period-correct crank bolts.

really :paranoid:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 7/Dec/14 7:57pm

You might struggle in London... basically because of the cost associated with running a shop there and cyclist there are a bit sad.. Mostly chains like Evans cycles and the like.

Wales is a miserable place... basically a 3rd world enclave. don't go there .

Go to stoke... Brian Rourke cycles... if you wanna be talked at for hours by an old guy ( who actually knows everything there is to know about bikes ).
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 7/Dec/14 8:00pm

St Johns Street Cycles :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Sun 7/Dec/14 8:14pm

Binder wrote:http://www.hilarystone.com

Hilary is about 50km north of Cardiff, and if you need a surly old boy who'll patronise you for hours before, grudgingly, selling you a vintage frame, then he's your man.

Shopping for vintage frames in London will probably require wrestling a hipster. You could also try http://www.retrobike.co.uk if you like internet arguments about period-correct crank bolts.

Ah yes, I have actually had an email convo with Hilary, I was after some specific cranks at the time. That sounds like a good start.

Mickyfinn wrote:You might struggle in London... basically because of the cost associated with running a shop there and cyclist there are a bit sad.. Mostly chains like Evans cycles and the like.

Go to stoke... Brian Rourke cycles... if you wanna be talked at for hours by an old guy ( who actually knows everything there is to know about bikes ).

My wife is from Wales, like the whole trip, I have no choice in the matter. Dinas Powys here we come...

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:St Johns Street Cycles :)

This is a possibility for sure.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 7/Dec/14 8:17pm

Ah SJC I used to live near there but never went...
Mickyfinn

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 7/Dec/14 9:22pm

London prices would be silly I'd think. Any local cycle retailer in the smaller centres should be able to point you in the right direction.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby thelivo on Mon 8/Dec/14 9:02pm

Mickyfinn wrote:You might struggle in London... basically because of the cost associated with running a shop there and cyclist there are a bit sad.. Mostly chains like Evans cycles and the like.

Wow - you say wales is a miserable place then recommend he goes to Stoke?!
:crazy:
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Tue 9/Dec/14 8:48am

In Bath, you could try Bath Bike Workshop (35 Corn Street). Although I think they might be more 60/70's. Worth a look anyway?

Also, Bath :love:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby RJD on Tue 9/Dec/14 8:50am

You could ask here:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/foru ... &mid=22609

A great bunch of blokes, usually... :D
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 9/Dec/14 5:49pm

thelivo wrote:

Wow - you say wales is a miserable place then recommend he goes to Stoke?!
:crazy:

:lol:
Mickyfinn

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 9/Dec/14 11:35pm

Bricklane bikes in London will fufil any hipster fixie desires. I may have squealed like schoolgirl in there
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

British Isles | Cycling | England | Europe | Regions | Retro Bicycles | Sifting | Wales - Latest Posts