Trial By Strava

Postby Derryn Hinch on Mon 21/Mar/16 11:53am

So, Arnaud Demare has been accused of doing a Nibali up the Cipressa in order to get back on after a crash: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/accused- ... rongdoing/

This has lit up the interweb jury.

As part of his defence, FDJ have uploaded some of his data to strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/521963 ... 3670/23750 and http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#52 ... =sJ_S&s=2D

This data shows him going up the Cipressa (~5km @ 5%) 20 - 25 seconds quicker than the leaders.

Having looked at the strava data, my take on this is that he is probably innocent.

1 He got up and going after the crash much quicker than Matthews
2 there is cadence data all the way up the climb, which on the face of it shows he was at least pedaling all the way up (of course the strava data could have been manipulated prior to upload).
3 He admits to drafting cars which is semi-legit
4 Riders were being dropped all the way up the Cipressa so he could have used them to help draft onto the back of the peleton
5 Katusha were on the front for most of the climb riding a false tempo, so the pace was not uber-hot
6 the peleton starts to stretch out in the second half of the climb so, while the gap to the front of the peleton doesn't change much, he does get closer to the back and then can use the peleton to move up. Effectively, the back of the peleton comes to him, rather than Demare riding faster than the peleton.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Trial By Strava

Postby dave_sharpe on Mon 21/Mar/16 12:19pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:This data shows him going up the Cipressa (~5km @ 5%) 20 - 25 seconds quicker than the leaders.

Having looked at the strava data, my take on this is that he is probably innocent.

1 He got up and going after the crash much quicker than Matthews
2 there is cadence data all the way up the climb, which on the face of it shows he was at least pedaling all the way up (of course the strava data could have been manipulated prior to upload).
3 He admits to drafting cars which is semi-legit
4 Riders were being dropped all the way up the Cipressa so he could have used them to help draft onto the back of the peleton
5 Katusha were on the front for most of the climb riding a false tempo, so the pace was not uber-hot
6 the peleton starts to stretch out in the second half of the climb so, while the gap to the front of the peleton doesn't change much, he does get closer to the back and then can use the peleton to move up. Effectively, the back of the peleton comes to him, rather than Demare riding faster than the peleton.

Visconti and Kwiatkowski - both notoriously quick on punchy climbs like the Cipressa - were steaming off the front of the peloton on the ascent, and the big sprinter was faster than both of them.

Also, it's not really possible he gained an advantage by drafting dropped riders - they'd be travelling much slower than Demare was, as he was by far the fastest up the climb.

For him to put in the effort to bridge to the back of the peloton before the climb (even accounting for the judicious use of team cars), then to put in the fastest ascent of the race on the back of it, then only have a few km to recover before the Poggio and still out-kick some of the best in the world would certainly be amazing.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Mar/16 1:54pm

Definitely a pedal assisted electric bike...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 21/Mar/16 5:57pm

He is the next Pantani, end of discussion.
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Mon 21/Mar/16 7:59pm

Trail wrote:Definitely a pedal assisted electric bike...

I got a tow behind one of these tonight, solid 37-38km/h into the northerly on the Hutt motorway. Definitely an electric assisted Strava moment. Not even close to a PB though, big ass tail wind still beats big ass tow.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Mon 21/Mar/16 8:39pm

dave_sharpe wrote:For him to put in the effort to bridge to the back of the peloton before the climb (even accounting for the judicious use of team cars), then to put in the fastest ascent of the race on the back of it, then only have a few km to recover before the Poggio and still out-kick some of the best in the world would certainly be amazing.

^ In saying all that, the VAM for that KOM (1,350) isn't alarmingly high. Shit, even I've rolled out a few a fair bit higher than that (Wainui hill at just under 1,800 springs to mind) - the big difference being, mine are normally deliberately smashing one climb, and I sure as shit haven't been doing that after 280km or whatever.

If he's on some RAMBO shit, smashing the parcours to pieces, good on him. Maybe the others just need to train harder and stop being such bitches.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Slapparoo on Thu 24/Mar/16 1:26pm

I understood the trouble started when both Matteo Tosatto (Tinkoff) and Eros Capecchi (Astana) told Gazzetta dello Sport that they had seen the Frenchman holding onto a team car as he came past them at double their speed on the way up the Cipressa.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/milan-san-remo-guesdon-denies-accusations-that-demare-was-towed-on-cipressa/
Slapparoo
Member for: 2 years 5 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Vorb Fantasy Racing - Latest Posts