Trek Stache (29+)

Postby huffnpuff on Mon 1/Jun/15 6:09pm

Thinking about buying one of these as it seems to be what would be what would suit me for multiday backcountry rides. Being a hard tail would lend itself nicely for setting up with a rack and possibly panniers if needed, but hopefully still have a bit of give with oversize tyres as I have lower back issues. I've tried a Pack n Pedal type rack on my fully but don't like the strain the rear triangle takes with a bit of weight on it. I don't want a fat bike or 27.5+.

Here's my question, I may be wrong, but from my enquiries it appears that the Trek agent in NZ doesn't import this model. Is this correct or have I been given the wrong info?

If Trek doesn't bring them in or aren't interested in bringing in a one off special, anyone know an overseas supplier I could import one from?
huffnpuff
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Re: Trek Stache (29+)

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 1/Jun/15 6:26pm

That looks like it could be a good bike for what you are looking to do.

Rather than ask the internet, I'd ring these guys http://www.cyclesportnz.co.nz/contact.php

They are the NZ agent for Trek, thye will give you the right answer on whether they can special order you one or not
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby huffnpuff on Mon 1/Jun/15 6:36pm

Thanks for that pbr, I was struggling to pin down the NZ agent. I'll get in touch and see what happens.
huffnpuff

Postby Dougal on Mon 1/Jun/15 9:13pm

Aren't they next seasons bike?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby lastnotfast on Mon 1/Jun/15 9:57pm

There is always the surly krampus. Not as pretty but does the same thing
lastnotfast
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby dragon_style on Mon 1/Jun/15 10:10pm

I got a Kona Honzo with long term plans for that sort of use. It's not specifically a 29+ frame but by my reckoning and measurements you should be able to squeeze a 29+ tyre in there. If not then it will certainly take the biggest 2.4" I can find. I've had back pain in the past from 26" hardtails and have been very happy with the smoother rolling of the bigger wheels and even 'just' a 2.25" tyre. It's a bit of a tank but it's never going to break no matter what I do/how I load it up.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby huffnpuff on Tue 2/Jun/15 6:40pm

Don't know Dougal, my understanding is they were released to the US market two or three years ago. Would be nice if they were released here for the next season.

Cheers lnf. Looked at the Krampus, but would really prefer suspension forks.

I hear what you're saying ds, I'm running 2.4s on my full sus 29er and love them. Even better once I was able to lower the pressure by running tubeless.
huffnpuff

Postby Dougal on Tue 2/Jun/15 8:18pm

huffnpuff wrote:Don't know Dougal, my understanding is they were released to the US market two or three years ago. Would be nice if they were released here for the next season.

Cheers lnf. Looked at the Krampus, but would really prefer suspension forks.

I hear what you're saying ds, I'm running 2.4s on my full sus 29er and love them. Even better once I was able to lower the pressure by running tubeless.

I don't know the history of the Stache models. But the 29+ suspension forks are very new. The Manitou Magnum is I think the only fork out there right now for these and was only released at Sea-Otter a few months ago. I'm the NZ Manitou guy.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-stach ... -2015.html
Dougal

Postby huffnpuff on Tue 2/Jun/15 8:31pm

Ah, OK Dougal, looks as if I misinterpreted what I heard. Could have been the Krampus they were referring to I guess.

Any feedback coming through on the magnum fork yet?
huffnpuff

Postby Dougal on Tue 2/Jun/15 10:08pm

huffnpuff wrote:Any feedback coming through on the magnum fork yet?

The only reviews I've seen of the magnum is on that Pinkbike review. It is basically a Mattoc that is 10mm wider, longer and with shorter travel. The Mattoc has been extremely well received, I've been riding one since I think November.
Dougal

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Hardtail Bikes | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts