Transient Rampage!

Postby White-Lightning on Wed 8/Feb/12 11:18pm

This is directed at the rider on the silver bike with the red Raceface Atlas bars (I didn't catch the name of the bike) who was riding second in a group of 4 heading up Transient tonight at approximately 6.15pm as I was coming down.

Now Sherlock Holmes, (I hope you don't mind me calling you this, I didn't catch a name.)

First of all can I say that I cannot thank you enough, If it wasn't for your excellent observation and communication skills I would still be living in a world where I would be thinking that transient is a one way track, god forbid! what a shallow and one dimensional world that would be!! I am also sure that the extensive use of the word "fuck" helped the situation immensely as I untangled bikes with the calm rider at the front, furthermore, when I told you that "I fucking know this a two way track!" (seeing as Sherlock had already crossed the F-word boundary I felt inclined to join in) you replied "well you clearly don't know" I began to wonder whether the 8 riders I had already passed coming down the hill without any incident had just been figments of my imagination, after all apparently I thought this was a one way track right?

After all this, you then told me that I need to " slow the fuck down, this is a two way fucking track" (I was really liking the use of repetition here, it was helping the information really sink into my brain), you seemed unaware that our paths had crossed on a blind, gravel corner. Now, forgive me as my skills are obviously not as developed as a rider such as yourself and I am unable to come to a sudden stop on such a treacherous bend without skidding into your buddies.

Let me ask you a question Sherlock, how easy is it to stop instantly on a loose gravel corner such as the one on Transient where we had our "meet and greet" session, Answer = not very. Let us then consider the outcome when said action is necessary? Answer = a loss of traction occurs. What happens when a loss of traction occurs? Answer = you slide, Now dear Sherlock, lets see if you can use your incredible sleuthing powers and figure out what might happen if a person (for simplicities sake, we'll use me) was to come across a form of obstruction in the path of desired travel ( once again, for simplicities sake, we'll use your group) and needed to stop instantly, what might they do, brake very sharply of course to avoid a collision, which may or may not be avoidable, in which case....There may be a coming together of sorts.

Now I don't expect you to console anyone about the whole thing or invite the person round to tea but when you blow up about a situation which was clearly accidental, had no effect on yourself and even your mates were smiling and smirking at you (yes I noticed that.). Then to be perfectly honest:

Stop being such a bitch about the whole situation, pick up your blouse and grow a pair and learn some respect..... like I said to you as I rode away "Get over it sunshine" :)
White-Lightning
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Transient Rampage!

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 9/Feb/12 4:10am

White-Lightning wrote:This is directed at the rider on the silver bike with the red Raceface Atlas bars (I didn't catch the name of the bike) who was riding second in a group of 4 heading up Transient tonight at approximately 6.15pm as I was coming down.

Now Sherlock Holmes, (I hope you don't mind me calling you this, I didn't catch a name.)

First of all can I say that I cannot thank you enough, If it wasn't for your excellent observation and communication skills I would still be living in a world where I would be thinking that transient is a one way track, god forbid! what a shallow and one dimensional world that would be!! I am also sure that the extensive use of the word "fuck" helped the situation immensely as I untangled bikes with the calm rider at the front, furthermore, when I told you that "I fucking know this a two way track!" (seeing as Sherlock had already crossed the F-word boundary I felt inclined to join in) you replied "well you clearly don't know" I began to wonder whether the 8 riders I had already passed coming down the hill without any incident had just been figments of my imagination, after all apparently I thought this was a one way track right?

After all this, you then told me that I need to " slow the fuck down, this is a two way fucking track" (I was really liking the use of repetition here, it was helping the information really sink into my brain), you seemed unaware that our paths had crossed on a blind, gravel corner. Now, forgive me as my skills are obviously not as developed as a rider such as yourself and I am unable to come to a sudden stop on such a treacherous bend without skidding into your buddies.

Let me ask you a question Sherlock, how easy is it to stop instantly on a loose gravel corner such as the one on Transient where we had our "meet and greet" session, Answer = not very. Let us then consider the outcome when said action is necessary? Answer = a loss of traction occurs. What happens when a loss of traction occurs? Answer = you slide, Now dear Sherlock, lets see if you can use your incredible sleuthing powers and figure out what might happen if a person (for simplicities sake, we'll use me) was to come across a form of obstruction in the path of desired travel ( once again, for simplicities sake, we'll use your group) and needed to stop instantly, what might they do, brake very sharply of course to avoid a collision, which may or may not be avoidable, in which case....There may be a coming together of sorts.

Now I don't expect you to console anyone about the whole thing or invite the person round to tea but when you blow up about a situation which was clearly accidental, had no effect on yourself and even your mates were smiling and smirking at you (yes I noticed that.). Then to be perfectly honest:

Stop being such a bitch about the whole situation, pick up your blouse and grow a pair and learn some respect..... like I said to you as I rode away "Get over it sunshine" :)

:p I don't know the track and don't ride MTB or know anything about off-road etiquette but fuck me thats no fucking accident, that's sounds fucked up crazy unless you just made an honest mistake with stopping distance.

Or maybe headon bike moshing / cyclic intercourse / meet, greet & smash is accepted as all part of the fun, it's not my place to comment on that but this really reminds me of the stuff my boy comes out with to explain why the insanely dangerous thing he's just done was actually OK because he imagined he could handle it and the fact he has only been killed zero times so far means it must have been OK. Wrong side of the road on a blind corner is one of his tricks, come to think of it.
When he's not going around a blind corner he gets withdrawal symptoms after a few seconds so has to relieve them by riding stupidly close to parked car doors because teenage nature abhors a danger-vacuum. :crazy:

Something tells me you are under 30 :)
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby one_uknw on Thu 9/Feb/12 7:01am

I love a good sarcastic rant.
one_uknw
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby VERT on Thu 9/Feb/12 7:20am

Transient is an awesome and can be a very fast track to ride down, I've been given the "dont you know this is a 2 way track" rant when I have riden down before also and for this reason I dont ride down it anymore as too many people do ride up (myself included). We really need that other track opened up to us again so we can have something to blast down (Backdoor was it?).
VERT
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby gristle on Thu 9/Feb/12 7:28am

Again? Was it ever?

Obviously this was the gravels fault.
gristle
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 9/Feb/12 7:46am

Crashes on Transient are avoidable. They are not accidents. If you cant stop in time you are going to fast. The other rider overreacted but lets ALL chill out. It was a nice night out there last night.
1scotty1
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 9/Feb/12 7:51am

F*#K YOU WHALE, F*# YOU DOLPHIN!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby speeding_ant on Thu 9/Feb/12 8:27am

Ha! I was waiting for a Vorb rage post about someone hitting someone on Transient.

Simple answer is: If you hit someone, ride away as quick as you can while shouting "quit being a pansy". Don't get into arguments on the trail, it only leads to RAGE!
speeding_ant
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 9/Feb/12 9:31am

Yep, Transient is very popular, the majority appear to have a good time but there are bike/walker couplings going on.

We are currently looking at different options for downhill tracks, from the same grade as Transient to more challenging with lots of drop offs to reduce traffic up the track and take some downhill traffic away from Transient.

The one way/two way is a topic of conversation in the area, currently over Windmill the track we are building further up. Who knows. I guess if we build all the tracks we want to -which will take years - things may settle down, get worse or further discussions may happen about one way/two way.
thelongwalk
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby mr splodge on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:03am

I was under the impression early on in the project that it was intended for Transient to primarily be for MTB while walkers and runners could use the exiting Planet Ride track. Of course even if that were the case Transient would still be two way for bikes.

You've got to go at the right time to get a clear run of Transient. I went on Sunday evening and didn't see another soul on the whole downhill from Barking Emu down to Aro St, then the next day mid afternoon there were traffic jams on the trails.

I even came across two people ascending car parts on Monday, them having passed two signs indicating that it's a down hill track, so you'll never completely eliminate those kinds of problems.
mr splodge
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:11am

White-lightning, joo need a bike-mounted siren.

1Scotty1 - asking people to go slow enough to avoid crashes may be the right thing to say, but it ain't gonna happen in the real world. If you climb up a beast hill, you wanna have fun coming down. I'm sure redbars rides down at his 'fun' speed as well.
cruiser
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Bascule on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:30am

White-Lightning wrote:This is directed at the rider on the silver bike with the red Raceface Atlas bars (I didn't catch the name of the bike) who was riding second in a group of 4 heading up Transient tonight at approximately 6.15pm as I was coming down.

So - to summarise:
1. You were traveling fast down a track you knew was busy with both walkers and bikers as uphill traffic.
2. You headed into a corner with a loose surface and limited visibility, and because you couldn't see around the corner and skidded on gravel you collided with another rider.
3. You were then upset that you got yelled at.

You will obviously want to consider possible solutions to prevent this happening again:
1. Don't travel so fast down busy two-way tracks.
2. Slow down prior to entering corners that you can't see around and might have loose surfaces.
3. Realise that the whole situation is your fault and apologise profusely to the person you've run into.

I just can't see the rocket science in this situation - it's your flamingo-up, and you need to (and I quote) "Stop being such a bitch about the whole situation, pick up your blouse and grow a pair and learn some respect..". Learn from your mistake, choose less busy times to ride or stay in mantrol or something.

As a regular visitor to Transient (which is a fantastic addition to the Wellington trail network) I see the track becoming much busier with both walkers and bikers - and I'm seeing a lot more family groups and new riders than at Makara Peak. I guess this is a result of the track being so close to the centre of town. I'm thrilled that you hit another cyclist compared to the alternative of hitting a walker or child. As a parent and a cyclist, if we'd been clobbered by an idiot such as yourself I'd probably have thumped you.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:50am

:withstupid:
Oli
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby .I. on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:54am

to much "Monster" me thinks :paranoid:
.I.
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 9/Feb/12 11:02am

So - White-Lightning - am I to accept collisions with yourself and other riders as an unavoidable consequence of using 2-way trails? I crash enough due to my own muppetry without needing any help from riders like you! What if the person you had ridden in to was a nervous newbie or small child?

If the conditions are such that you can't stop in a hurry... how about slowing down?

The Polhill area is one of my favourite places to ride :love:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Clubs | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower Hutt | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Riding | Wellington | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts