Re: Transient Rampage!

Postby Oli on Wed 15/Feb/12 12:20am

thelongwalk wrote:
Oli wrote:It doesn't matter what trail you're riding or what speed you're capable of riding it at, the only answer is to ride as if someone or something is going to be in the middle of the trail around every blind corner - it might not even be a rider, it might be a fallen tree or rocks or anything.

So I have to disagree with what you say. Riding one way trails and hitting berms or drop offs on purpose built mountainbike tracks like Billy T, Hot Cross Bun or Swig, within mountainbike parks, with the idea that there may be a hazard around every corner does not work. Well at least not for me. You need flow and speed is your friend for the hard stuff. To ride that slow is counterproductive to the experience in my opinion. Need to ride the Otago rail trail if the caution is that bad.

Talking of accidents. My worse accidents are when I've been tired on easy trails.

Finally, it is very hard not to skid on gravel in off camber corners as mentioned on Transient. Has to do with the design of the trail rather than the rider. Its a compromise, two way trails, like life but what a beautiful compromise.
I meant it's the only answer if you want to avoid the possibility of collision, I wasn't actually saying how anyone should ride. Far be it from a punter like me...
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby jo on Wed 15/Feb/12 8:31am

Dr. Fuentes wrote:People who ride considerately and exercise a modicum of caution where appropriate don't tend to have many(if any) crashes;

Thats the key thing.
No one will disagree that on a DH specific trail to be able to stop on any given corner is not reasonable.

Where appropriate, you should be able to. Transient is one of those.

If you're going to be a hazard to others, feel free to take any number of the other routes available where the chances you'll have oncoming traffic is much smaller.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 15/Feb/12 8:33am

Just ride down that track that comes out on Holloway road, its way better to ride down that transient anyway
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 15/Feb/12 8:46am

cruiser wrote:Just putting something out there: Is it accurate to correlate being a courteous trail user and being crash-free? Contact and crashing is a basic aspect of MTB

Dunno, but without czeching any stats, it sounds like you're happy to answer your own question. Apparently anecdote has been outlawed on the internet, so until said stats are available we'll wait with bated breath.

I would imagine the vast majority of riders don't accept contact (in the context you're using it) as a basic aspect of MTB. I don't remember making physical contact on the trails with anyone, bar the occasional handshake or hug.

cruiser wrote:Some have high aspirations plus high skill levels and have to work with what is available. It's not as if MTBers have the support to book out govt funded facilities for private use like other sports people can.

Some may have high aspiration and skill levels, and then there are the other 95% of us who just ride for fun - we share the same resources. If the rider in question decides they need to go above and beyond, the onus is on them to ensure they do so in an appropriate environment. There are better places for downhill riders to hone their skills than a very popular, shared use, two way track.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 15/Feb/12 8:59am

SlackBoy wrote: This also being said there is also a time and a place for it, transient not being one of those.

Word!

Regarding the need for challenge and progression, I haven't seen anybody suggesting that's a bad thing - plenty of one-way tracks to go to for that kind of riding. But, if a suitable track isn't handy, you need to remember that the wider trail using community really doesn't give a shit how awesomely fast you are. They care about using the trail without fear of getting smashed.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 15/Feb/12 10:18am

I'm gonna assume most, not all, people generally use Transient and other tracks in a way they feel is appropriate, and this is part of the problem.

As we can see MTB means different things to different people, in my opinion sport's more contested than religion. To expect everyone to see things our way is a big ask. Maybe we just need to accept that and get on with it - if someone upsets you on the trails, share your view. It might shed some light, it might not? If a person gets revved up or causes an incident hopefully they learn from it and adjust.

Expecting or aiming for a utopia of consensual behaviour and agreement among MTBers is nice, but it hasn't happened in any other sport in history. Maybe energy is better spent elsewhere?
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby gristle on Wed 15/Feb/12 10:31am

cruiser wrote: Maybe energy is better spent elsewhere?

Digging on Windmill from 12.30ish today. Shameless I know...
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 15/Feb/12 10:33am

good call ! :D :thumbsup:
cruiser

Postby Bascule on Wed 15/Feb/12 11:26am

cruiser wrote: if someone upsets you on the trails, share your view. It might shed some light, it might not? If a person gets revved up or causes an incident hopefully they learn from it and adjust.

Yup - I support that, but isn't that where this whole thread started? Someone objecting to the sharing of views?
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 15/Feb/12 11:46am

yerp. We weren't there, we're wasting energy trying to judge who could have done what better. This thread has moved on from one incident to a broader picture.
cruiser

Postby EoinC on Wed 15/Feb/12 12:36pm

cruiser wrote:...in my opinion sport's more contested than religion...

Gods beg to differ...
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Bascule on Wed 15/Feb/12 1:00pm

cruiser wrote:yerp. We weren't there, we're wasting energy trying to judge who could have done what better. This thread has moved on from one incident to a broader picture.

The discussion in this thread will remain only discussion unless it's grounded in real-world behaviour and can change the attitudes evident in the original post.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 15/Feb/12 1:36pm

cruiser wrote:I'm gonna assume most, not all, people generally use Transient and other tracks in a way they feel is appropriate, and this is part of the problem.

As we can see MTB means different things to different people, in my opinion sport's more contested than religion. To expect everyone to see things our way is a big ask. Maybe we just need to accept that and get on with it - if someone upsets you on the trails, share your view. It might shed some light, it might not? If a person gets revved up or causes an incident hopefully they learn from it and adjust.

Expecting or aiming for a utopia of consensual behaviour and agreement among MTBers is nice, but it hasn't happened in any other sport in history. Maybe energy is better spent elsewhere?

Yes, I completely agree - most people generally use Transient in a way they feel is appropriate - and most people don't have any dramas with crashing into other trail users. I'm not sure how this could possibly be a problem though.

Apart from that, the rest of your post leaves me flummoxed. Nobody is talking about a "utopia of consensual behaviour" - how about common sense and some consideration for others? :eh:
Dr. Fuentes

Postby Fango on Wed 15/Feb/12 1:43pm

Really??? Let's just think about that one for a millisecond or two.... how many people get killed in the name of sport, and how many in the name of religion?
Fango
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 15/Feb/12 1:47pm

Fango wrote:

Really??? Let's just think about that one for a millisecond or two.... how many people get killed in the name of sport, and how many in the name of religion?

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE HOOLIGANS!!!1
Dr. Fuentes

Clubs | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower Hutt | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Riding | Wellington | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts