Re: Training Theory

Postby Gordio on Tue 8/Sep/09 5:18pm

While we are here, my max is 187 and resting 36 (I'm 37, but look and behave like a 17year old :) ).
Comm Games TT average HR was 182..RED LINE!!! Cop That Legs!
Gordio
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby nzmatto on Tue 8/Sep/09 5:31pm

Gordio wrote:While we are here, my max is 187 and resting 36 (I'm 37, but look and behave like a 17year old :) ).
Comm Games TT average HR was 182..RED LINE!!! Cop That Legs!

WOW that's a big range, but it does go to show that a faster heart rate does not necessarily make you stronger.....I peak out at 192 and regularly hit 190 on a decent hill, but sadly I'm not even half as fast as you...(I wish I was though!)
Speaking of which, I had a laugh with my bosses boss today. He's an avid cyclist and does Taupo each year, it's my first go this year. He asked me how long I was expecting to take and that it would be embarrassing if I beat him. I said, well since I've been out training with Gordy he set a target at 3:45. You should have seen his face. He actually believed me!!! :D :D :D ha ha....
I'll be happy with 5:30.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby johnL on Tue 8/Sep/09 6:53pm

a fast max HR only means that you heart has to pump fast to deliver the blood you need and that comes down to stroke volume. A high stroke volume will mean that you will have a lower resting HR and usually associated with an enlarged heart in athletes.

numbers mean nothing, its what you do with what you got that counts.
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Tue 8/Sep/09 10:49pm

I clocked 184bpm up Gebbies today. Jonno took KOM and I was 4th wheel just behind Hayden Godfrey at Tuesday World Champs :) Then I was 2nd over the Teddington-Allandale hill behind Mr Williams, then Mr Godfrey attacked the crap out of everyone on the first pinch climb. He was looking super-strong.

I bailed up Dyers cause I couldn't handle the heat.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Muzza on Tue 15/Sep/09 10:08am

I have been reading about Arthur Lydiard and the Lydiard System. What an amazing man and by the look a lot of training systems are based around his training method.

For those that have study his method. In the conditioning stage, he talks about aerobic exercise at maximum limit or Steady State. If you were to talk about this, how would you compare this to Heart Rate ( LT or % of, for example) or in terms of Rate of Perceived Exertion.

Most articles and book I have found are Running focused, no surprise. Have you a recommend book that explains and using this method for a cyclist?
Muzza
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby gydey on Tue 15/Sep/09 10:28am

Muzza, I hate the ter "perceived effort"as it is too much guess work, and if you are a high performance athlete...why would you even consider guessing.

Whilst there are those who dont support it...I am a huge advocate of a simple lactate test...and set your HR training zones off this test. To then look at Lydiard and steady state training...in cycling we work to aerobic threshold..as it is our belief that riding at intensities lower than this will not give you a great change of state, but rather just allow your body to burn lipids. This intensity is at 2mmol of lactate produced..and you look at the corresponding HR.

To then increase aerobic threshold further requires training intervals at anaerobic threshold (or 4mmol of lactate). To do this requires eg 5km riding at the corresponding Hr for 5km in say 53x16...then 5km at 2mmol in 39x15..and repeat 4-6 times.

Lydiards philosophy was also that the development of ones anaerobic system was totally dependendant on ones aerobic capacity in middle distance events...I agree..and still use this with my training programmes.

Terry Gyde
Champion Training Systems
www.cyclecoaching.co.nz
gydey
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 15/Sep/09 11:04am

Would I be right to assume that over the years that experienced riders like Hendy have built up to a level where he may do a lot more than 5-6 intervals in a session of this nature.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby gydey on Tue 15/Sep/09 12:28pm

Hey Ferg...no..he still does 5x5s either threshold, high frequency and 3x20s SE

For threshold...early season it is 4-6x5km..mid season 3-4x10km and late season 10-15x3km. What also changes is the gears ie the 5km are 53x17-15...10km 53x16-14 and 3km 53x14-12

Cheers

Gydey
gydey
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts