Re: Training Theory

Postby istepinyards on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:08pm

I was talking about Indurain's low numbers Fergie lol It's not always about you OK :D
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:12pm

istepinyards wrote:It's not always about you OK :D

I don't understand what you are saying?
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby istepinyards on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:14pm

I am saying not everything is about you. Only little things that have nothing to do with me. If they do involve me then it is all about me. OK got it now :paranoid:
istepinyards

Postby Oli on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:18pm

How do I fit into that? :hmmm:
Oli
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:19pm

You are indeed an International man of mystery Istep.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby istepinyards on Sun 6/Sep/09 11:33pm

Oli when your life is intertwined with mine it's all about me. When it's not your kids and wife take over :D
istepinyards

Postby Oli on Mon 7/Sep/09 7:47am

Sounds about right! :D
Oli
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Ahad on Mon 7/Sep/09 5:11pm

Indurain resting HR was 28, and his max was 196 or there abouts, so AB's still got aways to go! What an impressive range though! Wonder if that means anything...hmmm...? but the man was a freak!

My resting HR is similar to yours AB-gets down to 40/41 when fully fit , but my max is 187 so probably higher? Although when i thrash myself I have trouble hitting over the high 170's. The way it sounds like you ride I'm guessing you don't do "recovery"? :D

Hit 182 going for season pb up mt pleasant though on Sundays ride, but only got in the 180's after Monks Spur when I was really starting to struggle.
Ahad
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 7/Sep/09 5:14pm

Ahad wrote:Indurain resting HR was 28, and his max was 196 or there abouts, so AB's still got aways to go! What an impressive range though! Wonder if that means anything...hmmm...?

Not a lot. Dude was a freak for the power he would crank out.

The way it sounds like you ride I'm guessing you don't do "recovery"? :D

Neither do I, hate it, feel worse after a recovery ride. Would rather do a walk or just have a day off if totally shagged.
Fergie

Postby johnL on Mon 7/Sep/09 6:10pm

28 means that indurain must have had a huge stroke volume. when my HR recently hit a low of 23 and was blacking out it sent the hospital staff into a panic and I have to get go fast drugs stat!
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 7/Sep/09 7:12pm

You should get the same drugs Team Recovery.......Oh I meant Discovery had. Get you back above normal within 12 hours regardless of output the day earlier :satan:
istepinyards

Postby Al_Bushman on Mon 7/Sep/09 10:42pm

Fergie wrote:Low? My Max is 203 at age 38. I average 175-180 up the longer climbs. Not that that really means anything.

Suspect it means Al can push himself as hard on the flat as he can on the climbs. Would like to cross check against power to be certain but it's a good skill to have. Time trialist's and pursuiter's do quite well at this so one would expect Rochie and TTMan to be punching above their weight in hill leaderboard relative to age and body fat levels as well as doing respectable TT times on Old Tai Tapu Rd.

Cheers Ferg. Never thought of that. I definately push myself hard on the flat or the hills. Most of my flat rides are done by myself so I have a tendancy to push as hard as I can on these rides which explains my results. I'll keep tracking them to see if they are consistent - but I suspect they will be.

Worlds tomorrow - will try to crack 180bpm up Gebbies! :D
Al_Bushman
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 7/Sep/09 11:06pm

You will have to have a crack at the TTs when they start up soon to put my theory to the test. Remember Ben who did the good time up Mt Pleasant saying his flat TTs were not flash (although hopefully better now with more races under his belt). But I suspect with your regular Tai Tapu and return timed ride you will do rather well. I am trying to get my riders to work on improving their sustained power on the flat up. For TTs and also because the majority of the racing in Canterbury is flat. Too many only get their intensity in the hills.
Fergie

Postby Al_Bushman on Mon 7/Sep/09 11:41pm

Just need to get a TT bike - or at least borrow one. Was 10th on my last TT with an avg speed of 41kph or thereabouts - but that was on my regular roadie with my heavy wheels, bottlecage bladeblah. Would love a crack on one of those speed machines.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Tue 8/Sep/09 5:55am

Al_Bushman wrote:All this talk of HR's has caused me to get another coded belt for my Suunto. Never trained on the bike with a HR monitor before. Noticed two things.

1. My average HR for a flat ride was 146bpm
2. My average HR for a hill ride was 144bpm

Also, even at max effort my hr very rarely tops 175bpm and I'm 37. I get the feeling this is low. I've always had low blood pressure and my normal resting hr is 43bpm. What does this mean physiologically for me? It must mean something but stuffed if I know.

Mt Suunto under-read when the batteries were low.
Now have a polar.
btw my HRMax 201bpm and 39 years old
mfw
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts