Trailside Super Foods

Postby Rik on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:02am

When on an all day mission, my favourite lunchtime feed to pull from the pack is a round of egg mayo sandwiches Mmmm.

It has occurred to me that after two failed Brevet attempts due to stomach problems, that maybe I'm eating wrong.

What is the best lunchtime snack to pack for an all-dayer?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Trailside Super Foods

Postby scatter on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:11am

PB and jam sandwiches.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:20am

chorizo
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Rik on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:24am

Wobbler wrote:chorizo

Are you serious - that is Heartburn city
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Trail on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:26am

Pies.
Steak'n'cheese for the win.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Mel on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:31am

scatter wrote:PB and jam sandwiches.

:withstupid: They also travel better than egg and mayo. :crazy:

If you have time the week/day/night before there are lots of recipes for energy balls/bars full of honey, oats, peanut butter, coconut, seeds, dried fruit, and chocolate. This is good, but makes a lot, so just make a part recipe to test it the first time.

Bananas are also good, but not as sustaining as the bars/balls. I do prefer a variety of foods on a long ride though. Also, potato chips are excellent late in the day, and/or beef jerky.
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:35am

Rik wrote:

Yes, I have no chorizo related heartburn issues

obv just take some gavascon (sp?) with it
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Rik on Thu 2/Jul/15 9:49am

Trail wrote:Pies.

Good option - but can one really survive 1/2 a day in a backpack without turning to mush?
Rik

Postby Trail on Thu 2/Jul/15 10:15am

Rik wrote:
Trail wrote:Pies.

Good option - but can one really survive 1/2 a day in a backpack without turning to mush?

Plan the route to pass the pie shops?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 2/Jul/15 10:26am

Emz Cookie Bars... and Milk Chocolate.

Bagels with cream cheese and jam :) Bagels are much more squish proof than standard bread.
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby jo on Thu 2/Jul/15 10:45am

Mel wrote:[
If you have time the week/day/night before there are lots of recipes for energy balls/bars full of honey, oats, peanut butter, coconut, seeds, dried fruit, and chocolate. This is good, but makes a lot, so just make a part recipe to test it the first time.

That link looks good! Imma gonna try it.

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches for me. Boiled Eggs and banana for snacks.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 2/Jul/15 10:57am

Enter a 12 hour. These give you the chance to experiment with food in a nice controlled environment.
The first couple I did I was in so much pain, I found my biggest problem was eating to much and my body couldn't digest all the food I put in. At the 7 hour point my stomach would get really sore and I could hardly move.
Eating little bits often is what I found worked for me, between 50- 70 grams of carbs per hour. Any more and I'd be doubled over at 7 hours.
Stopping for a big meal at lunch time would come back to bite me later on. Just graze all day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E
I really like these, they seem to work for me, I ate a lot of them, day 1 of le petit.

Rik, what's the next crazy event on your horizon
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Thu 2/Jul/15 11:00am

Rik wrote:

I started taking Zantac last year and it helped immensely with stomach problems. I tend to avoid using muesli and energy bars as primary food source now too.
znomit

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 2/Jul/15 11:23am

noel_whiteside wrote:Enter a 12 hour. These give you the chance to experiment with food in a nice controlled environment.
The first couple I did I was in so much pain, I found my biggest problem was eating to much and my body couldn't digest all the food I put in. At the 7 hour point my stomach would get really sore and I could hardly move.
Eating little bits often is what I found worked for me, between 50- 70 grams of carbs per hour. Any more and I'd be doubled over at 7 hours.
Stopping for a big meal at lunch time would come back to bite me later on. Just graze all day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E
I really like these, they seem to work for me, I ate a lot of them, day 1 of le petit.

Interesting... I find I fuel completely differently for 24's vs all day rides. Mostly liquid fuel on a lap event - as you say, a controlled environment and regular timing and reminders to eat. All day rides - and my one completed brevet - I find I need to shovel down as much food as I can, as often as I can! Mixing/carrying enough liquid fuel isn't practical, otherwise I would still stick to that. For me, the intensity is lower on a brevet, so I can cope with solid food. The higher end of your carb calculation equals roughly the number of calories I'd aim for on a 24. FWIW :blush:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby AgrAde on Thu 2/Jul/15 11:55am

Roast chicken and kumara leftover sandwich
Hummus and gherkin sandwich
Couple slices of pizza
Some coffee. (ride with Dave. Fresh moka pot espresso is available at all times).

:D
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycling | Nutrition - Latest Posts