Re: Trailside Super Foods

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 2/Jul/15 12:34pm

Em's power cookies & bars.
Pic's peanut butter slugs.
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jimmi71 on Thu 2/Jul/15 2:02pm

Ahhhh all day epics.....last one was 300km in one day over 15 hours. Looking forward to the next one sometime over the next few weeks.

But I digress. Regarding food, my cast iron stomach helps, but on long days I tend to down:
One Square Meals
Power cookies
Nut/fruit mixes
Any type of sandwich
Pies (pies are good....who would have thought??)
Cookie Time cookies
V shots (just to get me through the hard times)
Baked beans (cold, straight outta the can)
Choco bars

In my experience, constant grazing actually works, even though I still tend to have a big lunch. A one hour countdown timer timer / alarm works as a reminder to constantly eat and drink some water. My caffiene addiction also means I need to have half a V shot about every three hours. This really helps when you hit the wall. I also tend to keep stretching during every single short stop.
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 2/Jul/15 2:21pm

Boiled eggs!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Thu 2/Jul/15 3:15pm

Rik wrote:
Trail wrote:Pies.
Steak'n'cheese for the win.

Good option - but can one really survive 1/2 a day in a backpack without turning to mush?

Yep, easy - I've used the nasty-ass Irvines ones from the supermarket for long rides, previously - they don't need to be heated up, and they seem to hold their shape reasonably in a backpack. Bonus, they're about $1.50 each, so super cheap calories, although you tend to get a bit "over" cold pie after a day or so. Another option is creamed rice - but it's rather heavy when you include the tin.

I rarely use energy bars or gels, but rely more on fruit, OSMs, and the occasional sandwich or filled roll. I bought 2 BIG filled rolls from the bakery in Hanmer during the 2014 Kiwi Brevet - I ate one a couple of hours later at the St James homestead, and left the second for afternoon tea, on the other end of the Rainbow. The endless corrugations and 32c tyres conspired against me, and I eventually opened my frame bag to find a slippery, moist, tepid, soggy arrangement of bread, lettuce, tomato and paper bag. It was delicious (also a bit chewy)
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 2/Jul/15 4:04pm

Trail wrote:
Rik wrote:
Trail wrote:Pies.
Steak'n'cheese for the win.

Good option - but can one really survive 1/2 a day in a backpack without turning to mush?

Plan the route to pass the pie shops?

Did the W C Wilderness trail a couple of weeks ago on cold Steak and Oyster pies from the Clocktower cafe' in Hoki. They keep a supply of cold ones out the back ;) You'd kill a Kereru with one if you threw it hard enough ! Chicken/Avacado/Cheese sarnies go good too
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Thu 2/Jul/15 4:34pm

Mmmmmmm, Kereru
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 2/Jul/15 5:22pm

AgrAde wrote:Roast chicken and kumara leftover sandwich
Hummus and gherkin sandwich
Couple slices of pizza
Some coffee. (ride with Dave. Fresh moka pot espresso is available at all times).
E
:D

Isn't that a verse in I only ride park?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 2/Jul/15 5:30pm

Rik wrote:
Wobbler wrote:chorizo

Are you serious - that is Heartburn city

Deadly serious.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 2/Jul/15 5:59pm

Rather than Chorizo, I find that mild beir sticks are great to ride with. for longday / multiday / brevet type riding I have found that Ernest Adams fruit luncheon cake is a great food that is somewhat calorie dense and easy to eat. I also have a bag or 2 of lollies hidden away as well

As others have suggested raiding any local food source for tasty items generally works when you are in area's with services. I'm a fan of pies, all day breakfasts and fries with Aoli.

With regards to coffee, I tend to have a Jeds coffee bag or 2 with me, as its pretty easy to blag a cup of hot water most places
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Farm on Thu 2/Jul/15 6:47pm

DogsBollocks wrote:Steak and Oyster pies...

This is relevant to my interests...
Are they available anywhere else?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Jul/15 7:16pm

pushbikerider wrote:Rather than Chorizo, I find that mild beir sticks are great to ride with. for longday / multiday / brevet type riding I have found that Ernest Adams fruit luncheon cake is a great food that is somewhat calorie dense and easy to eat. I also have a bag or 2 of lollies hidden away as well

As others have suggested raiding any local food source for tasty items generally works when you are in area's with services. I'm a fan of pies, all day breakfasts and fries with Aoli.

With regards to coffee, I tend to have a Jeds coffee bag or 2 with me, as its pretty easy to blag a cup of hot water most places

What brand of beir sticks are your jam? I've tried a few recently and they either are a pain to eat (so cheway) or give me bum wees
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 2/Jul/15 7:25pm

Farm wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:Steak and Oyster pies...

This is relevant to my interests...
Are they available anywhere else?

Mate, these things are the bees, the ducks and the dogs. The big deep dish suckers like a Pork Pie. Whenever I'm over there I bring a few back as they always have a cold stash about. I know there's a regular courier to Ch-Ch ....................................
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 2/Jul/15 7:51pm

Dates.
(soft) dried bananas.
Chocolate covered coffee beans.

They are three staples i've often got in my bag...

and usually a onesquare or two.

Bigger trips? fuck knows, occasion hardly ever comes my way anymore what with kids and family commitments and a tight leash by swmbo...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 2/Jul/15 8:23pm

Wobbler wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:Rather than Chorizo, I find that mild beir sticks are great to ride with. for longday / multiday / brevet type riding I have found that Ernest Adams fruit luncheon cake is a great food that is somewhat calorie dense and easy to eat. I also have a bag or 2 of lollies hidden away as well

What brand of beir sticks are your jam? I've tried a few recently and they either are a pain to eat (so cheway) or give me bum wees

tried the verkerks ones? i usually pack a stash of them on a big ride, also available in chorizo
along with bacon sammies and a block of chilli dark chocolate (of my own creation, that new whittakers one is average at best)
and a bag of trail mix (nuts/seeds/raisins/choc chips/popcorn and chilli flakes (for a little extra "surprise" great fun to share with newbies to the group :paranoid: )
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 2/Jul/15 8:28pm

Verkerks one are my preference also, and have good flavour. Avoid the Pieters ones, weaksauce
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Cycling | Nutrition - Latest Posts