Trailer Advice If You Please..

Postby sidlomavpa on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:21pm

Hey all, I am trying to decide between a BOB Yak and a Philips touring trailer.

I currently commute daily to J'ville from Melrose (50km round trip) and have a fairly burly hill at the end of each leg of the ride.

The two trailers can carry the same amount of weight but the BOB is 2.5 kg lighter at the cost of being almost $300 more expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of them? Do they track the same? Durability? speed wobbles?

I'll be carrying about 15-20kgs of kit so not sure that the 2.5kgs lighter trailer would be all that much of a benefit but I've never used a trailer so wouldn't have a clue...

Any help appreciated (tried to search elsewhere for reviews but nothing for the philips ones..)

Cheers
sidlomavpa
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Trailer Advice If You Please..

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:33pm

The difference is in the details in the two trailers. The BOB is the original the phillips' tracks nearly as well from my short ride back to back test with both. The difference is in the details like the axle for the bike, the design of the front hitch assembly, how the trailer sits when not on the bike. If it was my $$ I would spend the extra on the BOB.

But I will admit that I do get fustrated with small details, and minor things will bug me over time
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:41pm

No fair enough I get a bit obsessed over the fine details as well, so you think the build quality is substantially better on the BOB? Are you including the paint finish in that?
sidlomavpa

Postby sidlomavpa on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:43pm

sidlomavpa

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:49pm

sidlomavpa wrote:No fair enough I get a bit obsessed over the fine details as well, so you think the build quality is substantially better on the BOB? Are you including the paint finish in that?

The build quality yes, the quality of the paint on both isn't stunning, but I suspect that the BOB's is a wee bit thicker and durable
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby sidlomavpa on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:51pm

Oh right thanks for your help. :thumbsup:
sidlomavpa

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:52pm

sidlomavpa wrote:Found this as well..
http://www.extrawheel.eu/go/_category/?idc=id_10

That looks pretty cool, not as versatile as a BOB or similar, but might tow on the road at speed nicely, esp on NZ roads
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby sidlomavpa on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:55pm

Yeah but there's no dealer within reasonable distance, they want $240 in freight to get one here.... so it'd be almost $900 to land! :0
sidlomavpa

Postby sidlomavpa on Tue 20/Jan/09 6:17am

Hmmm.. you can land one for $713 incl GST if you order in GBP rather than Euros.

That makes it much more reasonable and I think it may be the thing i'm really after. Anyone else interested? It would be a further reduction in cost for multiple items...

This is one of them,

sidlomavpa

Postby Cruzzer on Mon 26/Jan/09 11:51pm

sidlomavpa wrote:Found this as well..
http://www.extrawheel.eu/go/_category/?idc=id_10

IMO, don't go there.

I did the GDR (5,000km mostly off road) last year and teamed up with two English girls who both had Extrawheel's.
They were rubbish (the Extrawheels I mean).
Lots of wear and tear issues with the mesh that holds the bags and also abrasion on the inside towards the wheel.
They also become unstable at higher speeds and you need to balance the load very carefully to avoid this. If not balanced they are prone to fishtailing. They yoke that connects the trailer to the bike is 'sprung' which means that the trailer will disconnect at either the bike axle connection of the trailer pivot conection. Kinda useful if things get wild I guess but to me it just confirms the 'balancing' design flaw as per above. I saw this happen twice in two days. The first while off road & descending (via potholes) to a bridge. I was behind Hat and was well surpised to see her trailer/wheel careening away, luckily it didn't go over the bridge into the river! The next day she lost it again while descending on-road at a good clip. Later in the trip she changed to panniers and was happy as.

I've never cycled toured before so no comparison base, but thought the BoB (Ibex version) was great. It weighs a bit more than standard but was free via a mate so I didn't even consider anything else. That particular Bob had already done approx 7,000km's including the GDR and was / is still going strong now at 12,000km. I gave it some new (cartridge) bearings at approx 9,000. Bear in mind that 90% of this was off road, and i certainly wasn't taking it easy:)
I think the BoB's are solidly made and very stable (my top speed was 74kmh off road).
Another guy that joined us had a standard BoB, but he was a bit anal about weight and didn't like the BoB, and would have preferred panniers.

Three others that we teamed up with had panniers and swore by them. Although one of those was lucky to finish and held together with zip ties etc.
Cruzzer
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Tue 27/Jan/09 7:22am

Cheers Cruzzer, I've just managed to find a near new Bob for $350 so I'm gonna get that now that the extrawheel turns out to be a dog... Nice design concept though.
sidlomavpa

Postby sifter on Tue 27/Jan/09 8:51am

I've done a couple of 300-400km cycle tours with a Bob Yak, and have been really impressed. Do not tuck into a nice aero position at high speed though. I almost lost control on a descent into Nelson doing this. Not quite sure what was going on, but the trailer started madly wobbling about, and made the bike very hard to control...! Otherwise, excellent!
sifter
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Cruzzer on Tue 27/Jan/09 12:08pm

$350 is a pretty good price, I assume its the Yak version.

Apart from a fishtail moment in some loose gravel, I never had probs with stability, even at high speed or in a tuck.
Even over rough terrain I think I was doing aprox 70-80% speed that I would be doing otherwise, and loving it.
Cruzzer
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts