Touring

Postby CarbonFour on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:14pm

Hi All!

I'm going to be touring the South Island starting in less than a week (just found this forum an hour ago or I would have posted sooner). If anyone in the Christchurch area is willing, I would love to meet some people who have experience or insight to give. Coffee provided in exchange for conversation. I'll be in Christchurch from Sunday the 17th (probably after 1:00 PM once I get out of customs at the airport) to Wednesday the 20th (early AM departure).

Also, if anyone is keen, available, and wants to join, I'd welcome company on sections of the road (and trail).

Things to Know:
Bicycle: set for moderate trails and roads: 700x35 Marathons, disc brakes, lights,
About me: 28 year old male, currently an English teacher in Japan, soon to be something else but has 31 days to explore NZ. This is my 3rd tour (2nd solo).

Cheers.

- Chris :)
CarbonFour
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Touring

Postby CarbonFour on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:19pm

It's just occurred to me that this may be in the wrong forum. My apologies if it is.
CarbonFour

Re: Touring

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:25pm

you should be able to "Add Channels" (top right somewhere). There may well be folk in Christchurch who'd take you up on that coffee. If you're out and about though, you can't go too far wrong down there.

What sort of advice are you after?
sifter
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:26pm

sifter wrote:you should be able to "Add Channels" (top right somewhere). There may well be folk in Christchurch who'd take you up on that coffee. If you're out and about though, you can't go too far wrong down there.

What sort of advice are you after?

I replied to the wrong one, didn't I... :ib: :paranoid:
sifter

Postby CarbonFour on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:32pm

I've never been to NZ, so what I know is only what I can read online and see in Google Maps. This never compares to the knowledge and experiences of local riders, trekers, and travelers. What I'm looking for is along the lines of:

"Go to <insert place> by <insert road name>. The road is quiet and smooth, but a little bit longer, and <insert town name> is a great place to stage for <insert place>."

Cheers.

- Chris:)
CarbonFour

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:38pm

CarbonFour wrote:I've never been to NZ, so what I know is only what I can read online and see in Google Maps. This never compares to the knowledge and experiences of local riders, trekers, and travelers. What I'm looking for is along the lines of:

"Go to <insert place> by <insert road name>. The road is quiet and smooth, but a little bit longer, and <insert town name> is a great place to stage for <insert place>."

Cheers.

So, you're here for 31 days? Fly into Christchurch? Out from ??? Both islands or just South? Hiring a car (I'm guessing not), or riding everywhere? Huge amount of gear, or touring very light? Camping? Daily range? Interests other than riding?
sifter

Postby CarbonFour on Tue 12/Mar/13 3:49pm

Fantastic questions, sifter. In order:

Yes, 31 days.
Yes, into Christchurch (and out of as well).
Out from Nagoya, Japan.
Just the South Island.
No car, riding everywhere except a potential train ride from Picton to Christchurch at the end for variety.
Moderate level of gear considering I want to trek as well, probably around 18kg / 40lb plus bike, rider, water, food.
I'll have good camping gear.
Daily range target is about 100 km, but history shows I can manage almost 150 km / 93 mi per day with gear. Total target is somewhere below 2,000 km.
Other interests: tramping (looking at Routeburn and Caples Tracks, others), kayaking, whitewater rafting, skiing, photography, all sorts of outdoor sports, long walks on the beach, cuddling next to the fire, etc. hahaha. Just joking.. about the longs walks. I have a lot of interests, and am open to whatever I can sink my teeth into.

Cheers.

CarbonFour

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 12/Mar/13 6:41pm

Have fun :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Mar/13 8:30pm

Well, I think you'll have an absolute blast even if it's just cruising around!

I think picking up a copy of the Kennett Bros' Classic New Zealand Cycle Trails as soon as you land would be an excellent idea. Probably too late to get it sent to Japan, but this is what you're looking for... =} http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... LC-BOO.htm

Some of the Kiwi Brevet course in the top of the south would be awesome, but basically the best bits will all be in the book.

If you're going to have regular internet access, I'd rename this thread, and pop in for suggestions every few days based on which direction you're heading and where you are. I'm a little jealous! :)
sifter

Postby Trail on Tue 12/Mar/13 9:11pm

Nice work Chris.

Touring on the roads in NZ can be a bit of a drag. We have pretty inconsiderate drivers and the roads are built without much of a shoulder... which means you should pick the quiet back roads and off-road routes where possible!

Having said that it is a beautiful country with a lot of friendly people. You should be able to find plenty of awesome outdoor experiences here!

I would suggest a route heading from Christchurch down through the Mackenzie Country to and then out past Kurow to Oamaru. Then up to Central Otago via either the pig route or through Dansys Pass to Naseby. From there you may like a trip up and over the Old Man range or Old Woman range to get across to Wakatipu. If you can link in Mavora Lakes then do it. Get from there to Queenstown and then over the Crown range onto Wanaka before heading back up the West Coast to Westport. Then come up through the middle up to Nelson way, if you can make a side trip over to Golden bay it is good and then head over to Picton, maybe via the Maungatapu. There are many options for alternative routes along the way, but a circuit of this direction would get you some great scenary and adventure.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby hdb on Tue 12/Mar/13 9:17pm

First of all: If you are planning to come through Nelson, let me know - I can generally be convinced to toss work for a bit to get on a bike :D

For the South Island, the topography does limit your options - you'll find there is one route only between certain points and even going off-road won't gain you much, especially when it comes to getting from one coast to the other. That said, using things like the Molesworth, Rainbow & Dansey's Pass etc can get you away from the State Highways.

A good place to trawl through for touring is Crazy Guy on a Bike: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/loca ... pe=journal is the NZ tours that people have written up. Most will be on roads, but not only main routes: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 10082&v=7E.

Hope that helps!
hdb
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby jo on Tue 12/Mar/13 9:24pm

I dont know if its still being published, but this might have the kind of info you need.
http://www.paradise-press.co.nz/ppguides.html#ppuk
I have both and have found them useful for route planning.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 13/Mar/13 5:20am

This might be good to look at as well

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/new-zealan ... d-guide-2/
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Clubs | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts