Touring Bike Wanted To Buy

Postby dburger on Sun 8/Mar/15 4:53pm

Hi. I'm hoping to ride from Chch to Invercargill in a few weeks and need a bike!

From what I've read the Specialized Tricross seems a recommended bike for this kind of thing.

Is anyone selling a tricross or a similarly suitable bike? Otherwise any advice on other places to look would be appreciated.

I'm approx. 180cm tall so a M size would be what I'm after.

Thanks,
Max.
dburger
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Re: Touring Bike Wanted To Buy

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 8/Mar/15 9:06pm

There has been a tri-corss on trademe recently
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Mon 9/Mar/15 12:17pm

Are you camping or riding gravel roads? If not then you can ride pretty much anything.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby dburger on Mon 9/Mar/15 11:14pm

Yep will be camping and also probably riding some gravel roads, or I want the option to at least.

Do you think a tricross or something similar, with no suspension, can cope with a bit of reasonable offroad? Say farm tracks, dirt tracks, sheep track kinda thing?
dburger

Postby fraew on Tue 10/Mar/15 9:36am

I recently toured around the South (Oamaru over Danseys to Naseby, Rail-Trail to Queenstown, Walter Peak station to Te Anau, then down to Invercargill and Stewart Island before heading back up through the Catlins through Milton and Dunedin back to Oamaru) spending about half the time on bad-ass gravel roads, riding my Cannondale CaadX 105 Disc Cyclocross bike - pretty much perfect for light-weight touring... in the past I've always used Tourers - a Trek T520 and a Cannondale T2000, though they're significantly heavier and less versatile than the CX bike
fraew
User avatarMedal

Postby dburger on Tue 10/Mar/15 9:46pm

Sounds like an awesome trip fraew.

I've looked up the CaadX 105 that you say you rode - looks like a very nice bike - the kind of thing I want.

Did you have panniers on the bike for that trip? Were they annoying on the offroad parts? Or do you think riding those gravel and offroad tracks is fine on that kind of bike with panniers?

Another bike I've looked at online is the Kona Jake the Snake. Comparable to the CaadX 105 by the looks of it.
It seems like a reasonable deal at $1,850 from Evolution Cycles.

http://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/CYCLOC ... t_id=30511
dburger

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 11/Mar/15 9:20am

dburger wrote:Do you think a tricross or something similar, with no suspension, can cope with a bit of reasonable offroad? Say farm tracks, dirt tracks, sheep track kinda thing?

Yes. Many people ride cyclocross bikes on milder MTB tracks - I take my Pompino with cyclocross tyres round the Wainuiomata tracks sometimes, and there was one cyclocross bike going round Karapoti in the weekend.

It requires a bit more finesse and caution than riding an MTB on the same terrain, so it also depends on the rider.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Wed 11/Mar/15 11:32am

If doing loaded touring you'll likely want lower gearing than most CX bikes come with.
znomit

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts