Re: T'tour De France 2014

Postby Compact on Mon 21/Jul/14 9:10am

This sport is so harsh ! If you read this Jack....you didn't manage the win but that ride was heroic ! RESPECT :) :)
Compact
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 21/Jul/14 10:35am

Compact wrote:This sport is so harsh ! If you read this Jack....you didn't manage the win but that ride was heroic ! RESPECT :) :)

:withstupid:
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby montombo on Mon 21/Jul/14 7:14pm

They talk to him in the Stage 15 ep of the ITV tour podcast http://downloads.itv.com/podcasttdf.xml

Good thing it was raining on walk to work :`(
montombo
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby dented on Wed 23/Jul/14 2:20am

That is one filthy 'stache on Jose Serpa
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 23/Jul/14 2:33am

"It's up to the yellow jersey now......... He's still got two riders with him.... Three!"
Phil and Paul please never change :love:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 23/Jul/14 2:44am

"If this man in the blue gets 16 seconds over the man in white then the man in blue becomes the man in white!"
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 23/Jul/14 7:24am

really pleased for Mick Rogers, finally laying to rest his TdF hoodo, and you could clearly see what it meant to him :love: Like that he just got on with it & delivered, when some around him played games. Rogers stage win a lesson for Jack B that there will (hopefully) be more opportunities to stamp his mark.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 23/Jul/14 12:36pm

buddy of mine in Melbs and his mate won this 'Ultimate Job' competition on Cycling Tips.com.au...
The win!
they're following the Tour, gonzo reporting on the fans and whatnot, and riding some of the climbs... some good reading, Matt really can write!
the job begins!
alpe d'huez
Col du glandon
col Dizoard
publicity caravan madness

for later updates...
http://cyclingtips.com.au/tag/the-ultimate-job/ :)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 25/Jul/14 12:44pm

is it just me or does Nibali look just too good? he seems to have some of those Armstrong burst of accelleration.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 25/Jul/14 1:00pm

yep unfortunately anyone who is doing the business is going to be suspected, but my (very limited) knowledge & watching observes that Nibali at least has the grace to puff & grimace quite a lot when pushing it. I know all riders cope with exertion in their own ways, but compare Nibali with Valeverde this morning - the former clearly in the hurt zone, the later calm & composed but slipping down the order - it could be deduced that Valeverde wasn't REALLY trying, whereas Nibali clearly was.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 25/Jul/14 1:08pm

It must be nice to be SO much better than the best of the rest - admittadly there are a few main contenders out but even so.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 25/Jul/14 1:14pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:really pleased for Mick Rogers, finally laying to rest his TdF hoodo, and you could clearly see what it meant to him :love: Like that he just got on with it & delivered, when some around him played games. Rogers stage win a lesson for Jack B that there will (hopefully) be more opportunities to stamp his mark.

interesting how well he's been doing this year . . . . :hmmm:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Fri 25/Jul/14 2:01pm

RHR_Rob wrote:is it just me or does Nibali look just too good? he seems to have some of those Armstrong burst of accelleration.

Nibs probably would have been looking at 3rd if both Froome and Contador were still in the race... and maybe 4th if Quintana had entered, but it is all relative. Doping is still rife no matter what people try and tell you. Huge natural talent + years of hard work and sacrifice + will to win + some drugs to keep up with the others who are doping = winners. I just don't believe that any of the top guys are doing it clean... What I think is interesting is that the same drugs are rife in professional football, yet how many people ever have you seen banned from football for doping.

For that matter Team Sky with "We train harder and more scientifically than anyone else" sounds a heck of a lot more like the propaganda of the teams Lance used to race for?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 25/Jul/14 2:34pm

Trail wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:is it just me or does Nibali look just too good? he seems to have some of those Armstrong burst of accelleration.

Nibs probably would have been looking at 3rd if both Froome and Contador were still in the race... and maybe 4th if Quintana had entered, but it is all relative. Doping is still rife no matter what people try and tell you. Huge natural talent + years of hard work and sacrifice + will to win + some drugs to keep up with the others who are doping = winners. I just don't believe that any of the top guys are doing it clean... What I think is interesting is that the same drugs are rife in professional football, yet how many people ever have you seen banned from football for doping.

For that matter Team Sky with "We train harder and more scientifically than anyone else" sounds a heck of a lot more like the propaganda of the teams Lance used to race for?

whilst i think it would be naive to suggest doping is not going on, I don't believe we are seeing huge gains due to doping.
for instance, armstrong put a minute into the other top contenders in time trial on alpe du'ez in 2004 of only 15.5 km. we are seeing nibbles do this at the end of 150+ km stages and his biggest gain was from being a much better cobbles rider. Sky arewere dominant but remained attackable as Garmin showed last year, and multiple attacks have shown this year.
their marginal gains model is being copied by other teams who are now putting it to them (sexoff-tinkles would've had team sky i reckon) and race-craft (bertie) is having much more effect that it did for a long time.
I'm sure here is doping - but things appear much, much better . . . .
As for other professional sports - do they even get tested? (yeah I know they do . . . .but not much focus on it)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Fri 25/Jul/14 3:01pm

Yeh, I think doping science vs testing/blood passports means that the doping is more micro-dosing rather than the full on top ups that were going on with Lance, meaning you don't see the huge gaps that you used to and that things come back more to race craft, team tactics etc.

Getting rid of the race radios with the team directors whispering in their ears could make the racing more interesting too. Escapists like Bauer may have more chance of success without the team directors analysing the gap and telling the team how hard they had to go to catch them and GC people may be able to sneak off in breaks without the whole of the opposition knowing about it and shutting it down early on.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts