Re: T'tour De France 2014

Postby EoinC on Fri 18/Jul/14 7:10am

Oli wrote:
Farm wrote:https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/24488220/ailing-talansky-becomes-latest-tour-de-france-casualty/
Talansky out, still twice the man Cancellara is. Pretty tough watching him fight his way to the end of last nights stage.

Cancellara isn't less of a man because he pulled out of the Tour, that's just stupid. If he wins the Worlds it will have been exactly the right decision, and if he doesn't win the Worlds at least he'll have given his last real career objective the best shot he can.

Riders not suited to the high mountains have pulled out of the Tour since time began, and he has every right. Besides, he missed his shot at a stage win and he doesn't have anyone to work for (Zubeldia in 20th??) so what's the point in him flogging himself for no reason? The only people getting all het up about it are a few fans, not the other riders and not his team.

That's right, and is why the Tour is structured the way it is (ie flat stages first). It allows riders like Cipollini to provide stellar displays of their flatland sprinting talent, without making them useless for the next 6-months by flogging themselves over the mountain stages.

They do this for a living, and have a limited career window. Being uncool is the least of their concerns.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby Farm on Fri 18/Jul/14 7:18am

Oli wrote:
Farm wrote:https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/24488220/ailing-talansky-becomes-latest-tour-de-france-casualty/
Talansky out, still twice the man Cancellara is. Pretty tough watching him fight his way to the end of last nights stage.

Cancellara isn't less of a man because he pulled out of the Tour, that's just stupid. If he wins the Worlds it will have been exactly the right decision, and if he doesn't win the Worlds at least he'll have given his last real career objective the best shot he can.

Riders not suited to the high mountains have pulled out of the Tour since time began, and he has every right. Besides, he missed his shot at a stage win and he doesn't have anyone to work for (Zubeldia in 20th??) so what's the point in him flogging himself for no reason? The only people getting all het up about it are a few fans, not the other riders and not his team.

I wasn't aware pulling out when the race no longer suits you was common. I'm not a long term cycling fan. I guess it's one of the unusual parts of an event that's a team sport with individual goals.
I enjoy watching sports where people battle adversity and give it their all, even when the chance for glory is gone. For me it takes the gloss off the event if not everyone is committed.
Zubeldia might as well pack up and go home, I'm sure he could do better than 20th elsewhere later in the year. Or not?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Fri 18/Jul/14 10:45am

Well that's up to him really. Also, as a genuine GC contender he has a chance to improve his standings in the Alps and Pyrenees, whereas someone like Cancellara doesn't really. Also, top-20 is still a result of some kind anyway, even paying prize money. It's not the sort of GC placing that requires massive team support though, as it would mainly be improved by increments. If he was top-10 you can bet Cancellara would have stuck around to help.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Fri 18/Jul/14 10:48am

happybaboon wrote:I see some merit to the argument that if you start the tour you should be intending to finish it. If things don't go well and you get injured, sick or eliminated by time then that's unfortunate but no hard feelings... But if things don't go your way in a stage or two and you drop out before having to ride in the mountains... That's a bit uncool. Thousands more pro cyclists who'd kill to be in a position to just participate, let alone try for wins.

Are there thousands who might have been able to win stage 5? I don't think so.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 18/Jul/14 11:56am

Oli wrote:

I agree, although I was annoyed initially because he is in my VFR team. Which is now down to 5 riders if anybody cares (I know you care Babs)
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Farm on Fri 18/Jul/14 12:03pm

Thanks Eion and Oli. I should temper my disappointment with my lack of understanding.
I guess it's a bit much to expect them all to be superheros smashing their way around Europe with nary a thought to the future.
Farm

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 20/Jul/14 7:33pm

So being a bit nieve to roadie eticate (spelt wrong) what would happen if a GC contender realy went for for the stage win and could be a threat on the ceremonial procession to paris? would he be sent to Coventry
?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 20/Jul/14 7:36pm

It'd be unpossible. Sprinters teams would F him in the A. And the other teams of GC contenders would go to the front and assist them. It'd be generally frowned the fuck upon though. Although if someone managed it and won the yellow jersey on the final day they'd become an instant legend.

I think it has happened? Someone attacked Armstrong on the final day once or something.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 20/Jul/14 7:39pm

What whilst he was sipping on a glass on EPO?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 20/Jul/14 7:45pm

I'm hazy on it. But unless I'm imagining things it was one of the guys who Armstrong got his panties in a twist over speaking out about doping.

I jsut looked it up - Filippo Simeoni. Not a GC contender at the time though I don't think - just attacked to piss Armstrong off.
Good job :thumbsup:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Sun 20/Jul/14 7:48pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champs-%C3 ... _de_France
Hasn't happened for the overall lead since 1979.
I guess if it was really close someone would try it on again :eh:
happybaboon

Postby thelivo on Sun 20/Jul/14 11:13pm

Be a tough stage to do it on I guess, you'd need to get a whole team off the front or a bunch of allies ever to make it stick (maybe Cancellara and Martin as your lead out guys!), otherwise the GC leader's team is just gonna reel you back in.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Mon 21/Jul/14 7:02am

Jack Bauer so close! :thumbsup: :(
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Farm on Mon 21/Jul/14 7:53am

mfw wrote:Jack Bauer so close! :thumbsup: :(

I'm glad I didn't watch that live, I think I would have cried as well.
Farm

Postby Tugboat on Mon 21/Jul/14 8:38am

Gutted. :(
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts