Re: Uk V Nz ?

Postby Fraser on Sat 14/Aug/10 3:54am

Well I lived in London and Hertfordshire and my cousin lives in the Lake district. I found the stuff in UK were 'condensed' if that is the nicest way of putting it. There are nice enough places in Wales and the lake district. But they are smaller, flat and shorter.
A bit like being a skier in NZ, and then going to Whister. Yes there are places to ski in NZ, but you could do all the good bits in a few days. But it is a long drive, unless you live in Queenstown as a skier. Much like MTBing in the UK.
The lake district is a 8 hour drive and the train to Wales is do able, but thats an effort and you won't be the only person on the track.

Grab the Kennet Book as was mentioned and you should get a feel for it.
I live in Finland now and would happily fly to NZ to MTB as there is enough variety, but not the UK.
Fraser
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby mudguard on Sat 14/Aug/10 8:19pm

Where does one go on a long trail ride in Rotorua? I know what he means, yes you can ride lots of different trails, but basically on similar terrain in a big circle. I love riding there but it's not like you can disappear into the back blocks like could in Arrowtown.
mudguard
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 14/Aug/10 8:28pm

if you want to go for a "longer" ride in vegas

head out to no-brains, from there out to the green lake via mossy and baja (I think), towards the blue lake (or even around it), back round and up towards tikitapu road from there join into split enz (up the other side of moerangi road)

that's one I can think of off the top of my head, and its a great mix of single track, forest road and double track with some awesome views
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby danpsmith on Sat 14/Aug/10 8:52pm

Another opinion from another expat whinging pom.

Trail centres in the Scotland which is the only part of the UK I've ridden in beats NZ hands down for as far as trail centres go. Glentress, Innerleithen, Golspie, Laggan and Fort Bill being the highlights. The land access laws in Scotland are probably the best in the world. Basically if there is a path there you can ride it (responsibly) regardless of who owns the land. This means you can do some long "natural" xc routes with some pretty stunning views in places.

NZ trail centres are good and places like Rotorua and Makara come pretty close to the Scottish ones but if I was to choose it would have to be Scotland.
Where NZ really excels is the long wilderness rides. Being able to get miles and miles from a road let alone a major population centre is an awesome experience and something that can only really be done in the far NW of Scotland or Knoydart (the UK's last true wilderness). The views in NZ are obviously more spectacular simply due to the height of the mountains and the permanent snow/glacier cover on the bigger ones.

Another key point and a shame you can't mix the 2 countries for these, pies are better here but beer is better in the UK.

And as for:

WHINGING POMS FUCK OFF HOME

When you lot stop hogging all the bar jobs in London then we might think about it.
danpsmith
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby ilikehills on Sun 15/Aug/10 7:49am

Now I like the UK. But I also like NZ. But which is better?? Only one way to find out............ FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't mean to start an anglo-kiwi war of words.....just wanted to know what the riding was like!
But thanks for the replies......that blog in particular is a good read.

Nobody has mentioned the ski resorts yet - are these open in the summer for riding? I would have thought these areas would be geared up for that type of thing. Also, I know you can cycle the Queen Charlotte Track - but what about the milford track or routeburn ??? off limits i imagine?
ilikehills
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Sun 15/Aug/10 10:56am

Coronet Peak ski field were running mountain biking using their chair lift, but they canned that at the start of the year. Was not making enough money or something. The ski fields here are very different to Europe, with all of the fields well above the tree line and very exposed. Also the fields have very basic facilities, rather than a village attached. Basically it has not yet added up to something that is happening here in NZ.

A couple of the write-ups in that blog have us walking up a skifield to access over the back http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... in-biking/
Those photos of us carrying our bikes up the steep shingle screel. That is the Craigieburn ski-field!! You might see why our ski fields are perhaps not being used as mountain bike parks :sly:

Yes, riding of the Queen Charlotte track is allowed, but this has come about because the Queen Charlotte track is not in a National Park. Basically mountain biking was banned in National Parks in NZ from very early on. This means that most of the popular tramping (multiday hiking) tracks are off limits. To be honest, a lot of the tracks in the National Parks that head into the big mountains will never be suitable for mountain biking, but there are definitely some great tracks that would be suitable that are off limits to bikers. There are review processes going on with the Department of Conservation (DOC) who manage the National Parks. Some mountain biking trials in National Parks have been started and there are other tracks under review that it looks like we may get access to in the near future. As always when dealing with a government department these things take a long time to happen.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 15/Aug/10 12:01pm

snr_merv wrote:Don't worry, only Aucklanders get upset when you hassle that place, everyone else understands where you're coming from :D

Nelson, Christchurch, Rotorua, Wellington all have sweet trail networks in riding distance of the city/suburbs worth living in that I have experienced, you don't have to sit in gridlock for 2 hours to pay to ride your bike in a sandpit everywhere :satan: Each to their own though, Auckalnd certainly isn't me.

There is a lot of varied natural-ish riding in NZ, but minimal groomed stuff as I have seen in the trail centers in Dirt mag, with the exception of Rotorua and a few bike parks. Certainly a lot of great riding worth travelling around for, world class from what overseas riders have told me in the past.
In summary, Auckland, like London is shit, Rotorua is like Wales (but with fewer gingers) Wellington is like the Peak/lakes (but with bigger hills, but worse ale) The South Island is like Scotland (but with bigger hills, but worse whiskey) BC is like France but further away.

All comparisons are odious.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby kiwi_zg on Sun 15/Aug/10 1:04pm

ilikehills wrote:Now I like the UK. But I also like NZ. But which is better?? Only one way to find out............ FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't mean to start an anglo-kiwi war of words.....just wanted to know what the riding was like!
But thanks for the replies......that blog in particular is a good read.

Nobody has mentioned the ski resorts yet - are these open in the summer for riding? I would have thought these areas would be geared up for that type of thing. Also, I know you can cycle the Queen Charlotte Track - but what about the milford track or routeburn ??? off limits i imagine?

Yeah national parks are usually no go for bikes.

42 traverse is a good ride (well it was 15 years ago).
kiwi_zg
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Sun 15/Aug/10 3:41pm

i have had to deal with a tonne of POMS of late that just want to tell you how good the UK is. boring retards....
if it's that good, i just don't get why you all just don't head home.

if you want to live here, how about getting out and finding the gems, and look on the brightside you're not living in the UK.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Sun 15/Aug/10 6:52pm

bigJIMMY wrote:i have had to deal with a tonne of POMS of late that just want to tell you how good the UK is. boring retards....
if it's that good, i just don't get why you all just don't head home.

if you want to live here, how about getting out and finding the gems, and look on the brightside you're not living in the UK.

Fuck knows enough Kiwis moan about New Zealand - why shouldn't Poms moan too? :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Sun 15/Aug/10 7:10pm

I was going to say, why not send the whinging kiwis off to the UK while you are getting rid of the whinging POMs. The non-whinging kiwis, POMS and any other people who getting out and living life rather than sitting around whinging about it can stay!! :thumbsup:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Sun 15/Aug/10 7:16pm

Trail wrote:I was going to say, why not send the whinging kiwis off to the UK while you are getting rid of the whinging POMs. The non-whinging kiwis, POMS and any other people who getting out and living life rather than sitting around whinging about it can stay!! :thumbsup:
:withstupid:

Also, just because we all know New Zealand is the best place anywhere doesn't mean that the UK isn't almost as cool in it's own unique ways.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Jim on Sun 15/Aug/10 7:20pm

Trail wrote:I was going to say, why not send the whinging kiwis off to the UK while you are getting rid of the whinging POMs. The non-whinging kiwis, POMS and any other people who getting out and living life rather than sitting around whinging about it can stay!! :thumbsup:

:withstupid:

Signed by a brit.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts