Postby ezybike on Wed 1/Oct/08 11:32am

How about this plan of a rock net.
spartacus-1[1].0.pdf
Downloaded 125 times
ezybike
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Fire Rake (mcload) Heads

Postby ezybike on Wed 1/Oct/08 1:10pm

I have just picked up 36 lazer cut 3mm medium tensile steel heads. I will be mounting handles on some of them and offering them for sale. But if any one wants to buy just the blank head and can do some welding and grinding themselfs they will save money. So $15 ea and we can sort out shipping too.
The white paper is A4 size.
McLoad Head.jpg
ezybike

Postby G on Wed 1/Oct/08 3:00pm

Not being harsh but 3mm is going to bend pretty easy. i've had 3 fire rakes made of 4mm plate and over the last 2.5 years (building at Whare Flat, Dunedin) the tines have had to be bent back several times. maybe welding a bead down the back of each one or going up to 5mm plate would sort it. i'll be making some 5mm ones early next year.

nice outline though. are you sharpening the top edge or side edges? very handy for rots light scrub etc.
Cheers
G
G
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Mcloads

Postby ezybike on Wed 1/Oct/08 3:46pm

Our 3mm ones have never bent so maybe your one are just mild steel. Or are you over working them ie using them like hoes?
ezybike

Postby G on Wed 1/Oct/08 6:41pm

using them for what they're made to do (cutting, scraping, packing in dirt berms and dragging dirt/rocks) but yes like you say the upgrade from mild to medium tensile could be the difference too. will talk to the metal guys here tomorrow.
thanks for the tip though...will look into it for the next set.
G
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby evilknieval69 on Wed 1/Oct/08 7:02pm

What kind of handles are you going to mount to them? and how?
evilknieval69
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Mcload Handles

Postby ezybike on Thu 2/Oct/08 9:33am

Yellow Fibreglass Atlas Shovel Hande makes the tool cost $70ea inc GST
Cheap wooden shovel handle makes the tool cost only $40ea inc GST
Pics to follow friday.
ezybike

Postby jimmi on Tue 21/Oct/08 2:02pm

I rate the pants off my stealthy Fiskar folding pruning saw from Bunnings. Small enough to carry in a hydro pack, cuts like a hot knife through butter, can be used as a crude machete on the small stuff, has lasted waaaaaay better than previous saws, and was only about $30.

And its quiet....shhhhh....
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby heathen on Tue 21/Oct/08 2:27pm

herbman wrote: here is a online store
http://www.farmbike.co.nz/hand_tools.htm#1132

but we get ours from CRT or PGG, as they gives us better deals ;)

not super flash but last well if you look after them.

and if you are after wee fold out pruning saws

these silky f180 saws are we its at, will cut about the same speed as a chainsaw as long as you have the energy.
http://www.buywright.co.nz/pruning.html

Gomtaro saws rule..
got mine from fruitfed in Kumeu.
heathen
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Tools Of The Trade

Postby mark2c on Mon 2/Apr/12 6:33pm

Sorry for the epic dredge, but the Makara Peak track builders recently had trouble locating good quality grubbers (aka Mattocks). I figured we probably weren't alone, so hope this helps somewhat.

Regarding grubbers the MPS track committee have come to some conclusions:

1) 5lb grubbers are too heavy for all but the strongest and fittest workers. 2.5lb is the sweet spot head weight.

2) Cast and fabricated heads are simply too weak. Forged heads are optimal both strength and corrosion wise.

3) Plastic handles are the way to go - allows tool caches to be left up the hill in the wet without the handles degrading and causing splinters.

4) Loose heads on grubbers and splinters are hazards we can easily eliminate.

Just before Xmas '11 we bought our grubbers/mattocks via http://www.Amazon.com (the seller was: acehardwareoutlet):

10 only Truper Herramientas (Collins) 2-1/2Lb Cutt Mattock Th2.5F (Pick & Mattock) at NZD 17.94 each plus Courier & Handling: NZD 275.70.

The total was NZD 519.68 for ten. Note we bought 20 in the end (two lots of 10).

Delivery was fast (<10 days) with no Customs intercept. NZ$52 each total cost.

With 3 months hard use they are still like new. Strongly recommended.
20120229_Makara Summit Track_0048.JPG
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 2/Apr/12 8:00pm

For real men and people who like to get thru stuff without resorting to a million hits. There is NO substitute for a good full size Hickory wood handle and a 5 pound head. Go for either a pick or an axe head depending on what sort of terrain you are building on.
Personally I prefer a pick head and keep the grubber head. Man swings with a proper handle will allow you to cut thru roots no worries.
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby mark2c on Mon 2/Apr/12 9:00pm

Good point Ricky. For track building professionals and strong keen amateurs a well looked after 5lb hickory grubber is almost certainly the way to go.

For places with open loamy soil a 5lb grubber could be better for the mere-mortals too.

With rock and plenty of roots 2.5lb grubber appears to be the way to go for most people (ie mortals).

The axe head grubber appears to be the way to go at Makara because of the roots & if you need a pick you really need something a lot heavier than 2.5lb.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 4/Apr/12 8:03pm

mark2c wrote:Good point Ricky. For track building professionals and strong keen amateurs a well looked after 5lb hickory grubber is almost certainly the way to go.

For places with open loamy soil a 5lb grubber could be better for the mere-mortals too.

With rock and plenty of roots 2.5lb grubber appears to be the way to go for most people (ie mortals).

The axe head grubber appears to be the way to go at Makara because of the roots & if you need a pick you really need something a lot heavier than 2.5lb.

I wouldn't say mine is well looked after. But it's survived daily use for the last 18 months, all of which it has been left outside in the elements. No oiling of the shaft (oooer") wotsoeva.
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 4/Apr/12 9:50pm

DoC purchasing people will know where to buy good trackbuilding tools cheaply.
I spent four years working for them, much of it happily swinging on mattock. The ones with a 5cm high axe head are great for cutting roots and even soft rock, and still give you much of what you would use a pick for.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby ezybike on Mon 27/Aug/12 5:55pm

New rakes in stock now.
$120 ea including shipping.
PIC_Trail rake3.JPG
PIC_Trail Boss3.JPG
PIC_Mcloed2.JPG
PIC_HiltyHoe1.JPG
ezybike

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts