Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby burls on Mon 18/Jan/16 3:45pm

Hi All

I'm over in Christchurch for work for two weeks and I have a weekend spare to hit the trails. I've been doing some research on what would I could ride to from the city - looks like Port Hills is the go? I was hoping people could suggest some routes and suggest places I could hire a decent bike from. So far I have found Natural Highs is the only one. At home in Adelaide I typically ride XC/trail and race XC. I'm ok with techy trails & small jumps but nothing too extreme (i.e. big drops & gaps). I've been told that black diamonds back home aren't really black diamonds compared to NZ... but hey we'll see how I go :)
burls
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby adikt on Mon 18/Jan/16 4:08pm

Never rode Port Hills while I was living there, but I used to ride at McLeans Island regularly, it's a reasonable but not excessive ride from the CBD, and (from memory) about 10-12km XC loop.

Also, look at Bottle Lake, rode there a few times, and know people who go there regularly, so must still be reasonable - cool thing about this track is you can literally ride down onto the beach & go swimming :)
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby AgrAde on Mon 18/Jan/16 4:28pm

Bottle Lake (there's no lake) and McLeans Island (not on an island) are flat, pedally XC-trails. Good if you want to smash out a workout, no climbs or descents. The corners can be fun.

If you want rocky technical traverses and some good views of the harbour and the plains, and want "trail" rather than XC, then riding up rakapi and along the traverse trails to greenwood park, down the greenwood park track, along the godley head tracks and down anaconda (smooth, flowy, mad corners) to finish at a nice little beach is a great ride. You spend a bit of time on a closed road, which is actually pretty nice. You ride the following trails:
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... aki-track/
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... hill-track
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... ock-track/
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... ark-track/
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... ead-track/
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/rec-and-sport/cy ... nda-track/
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby burls on Mon 18/Jan/16 4:50pm

Brilliant thanks for the suggestions so far. I like the idea of some trail riding with good views! (no lake? no island? :eh: )

Any ideas on decent bike hire? anyone willing to lend me one for beer?
burls
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 18/Jan/16 5:19pm

I'd suggest something along the lines of a couple of options:

riding up (c)Rapaki, turning left, and taking in singletrack on Witch Hill, along the Summit Rd, Castle Rock track, then more Summit Rd under the Gondola, then up over Mt Pleasant, Greenwood track, Godley Track, down Anaconda. Then back over from there...

Otherwise, up (c)Rapaki, hang a right, round Mt Vernon, the Traverse track, the two Thomsons, to Dyers Pass, up the road, and a couple laps of the Flying Nun, then back up the road and down Worsley Track, and find a local to show you around in the forest there... Most people seem to just go there these days and ride up and down for a few hours... there's many options, 10-15 minute descents, 15-20 minute ascents... repeat. then finished off by going down the road, and hitting one of the 'Farside' tracks (on the left)

if timing works out you'll probably find a friendly vorber to guide you about. (just pm us)
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby jimmi71 on Mon 18/Jan/16 5:32pm

swtchbckr wrote:I'd suggest something along the lines of a couple of options:

riding up (c)Rapaki, turning left, and taking in singletrack on Witch Hill, along the Summit Rd, Castle Rock track, then more Summit Rd under the Gondola, then up over Mt Pleasant, Greenwood track, Godley Track, down Anaconda. Then back over from there...

Otherwise, up (c)Rapaki, hang a right, round Mt Vernon, the Traverse track, the two Thomsons, to Dyers Pass, up the road, and a couple laps of the Flying Nun, then back up the road and down Worsley Track, and find a local to show you around in the forest there... Most people seem to just go there these days and ride up and down for a few hours... there's many options, 10-15 minute descents, 15-20 minute ascents... repeat. then finished off by going down the road, and hitting one of the 'Farside' tracks (on the left)

if timing works out you'll probably find a friendly vorber to guide you about. (just pm us)


What he said. As a non local who has ridden in Chch a few times, head to the Port Hills. The trails are great and the views are epic. The best ride I did was a kind of best of everything: We started off up Rapaki, then did Flying Nun before heading as far east as we could. We then turned around and meandered back. You will love it!
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby AgrAde on Mon 18/Jan/16 5:34pm

burls wrote: (no lake? no island? :eh: )

I know. It's very misleading.

burls wrote:Any ideas on decent bike hire? anyone willing to lend me one for beer?

The Ellsworth in this photo is very lendable. 150mm travel (I think, at least the fork is), 19" frame that fits me at 5'11". XT brakes and drivetrain, 11-40 cassette and 32t chainring. Flat pedals but i think i have some spds somewhere.
http://i.imgur.com/jluvUSF.jpg
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby sjb on Sun 24/Jan/16 8:31pm

swtchbckr wrote: then finished off by going down the road, and hitting one of the 'Farside' tracks (on the left)

I've not heard of these trails. Where do they bring you out? Are they far down from the parking area?
sjb
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby AgrAde on Sun 24/Jan/16 10:46pm

They're in here:
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Wes ... 9ec6?hl=en

Start at the top of the very steep bit of the road. Finish at either the hairpin or go into Westmorland.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 25/Jan/16 7:37am

AgrAde wrote:
burls wrote: (no lake? no island? :eh: )

I know. It's very misleading.

Once upon a time there was a lake, and there was an island. Mcleans was once an island in the Waimakariri River, but something about the city founders not wanting the Waimak rampaging through the city every winter made stopbanks change it's course. Coutts was an Island too...

And Bottle Lake was apparently huge. Travis Swamp Wetland is a final leftover of a 'lake' that extended quite a ways up through that whole area...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby burls on Tue 26/Jan/16 5:57pm

Big thanks to AgrAde for a bike to borrow and others in this thread for tips on places to ride! For a unplanned short work trip I sure made the most of it. Only trouble now is n+1 has kicked in after riding something with so much squish :D Oh and if anyone needs tips on riding in Adelaide, let me know. Cheers.
burls
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby AgrAde on Tue 26/Jan/16 6:28pm

:thumbsup:
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Tips For A Quick Christchurch Trip

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 28/Jan/16 2:26pm

swtchbckr wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
burls wrote: (no lake? no island? :eh: )

I know. It's very misleading.

Once upon a time there was a lake, and there was an island. Mcleans was once an island in the Waimakariri River, but something about the city founders not wanting the Waimak rampaging through the city every winter made stopbanks change it's course. Coutts was an Island too...

And Bottle Lake was apparently huge. Travis Swamp Wetland is a final leftover of a 'lake' that extended quite a ways up through that whole area...


Thanks for the history lesson :-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

67 Users browsing this website: Alexa [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], matnz, rachelr, Scotty and 58 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop