Is It Time To Switch To Tea?

Postby crazychris on Tue 19/Jan/10 3:56pm

While the coffee machine in the office is not the best, being an automatic beastie loaded with cheap nasty beans, it does nonetheless produce an almost drinkable cuppa when you learn which buttons to push.

However, this morning I got an added extra in my cup - an earwig! It was dead (not sure if DOA, boiled or drowned tho) and has made me think that the appalling coffee is not just due to poor quality beans, but maybe poor quality cleaning too.

So, should I be switching to tea now? Or, should I just invest in a small sieve and remove the bugs and rodents as they fall into my cup and continue to drink the goop it produces?

Something to bear in mind is that I usually drink between 8 and 12 cups of coffee from this machine each day (espresso + black coffee + real milk) so breaking the habit might cause rage!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Is It Time To Switch To Tea?

Postby danose on Tue 19/Jan/10 3:59pm

maybe switch to tea - but with a few no-doz tabs disolved in it?
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RJD on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:00pm

Your assuming nothing is living in the tea bag?
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:02pm

A boiled earwig is merely extra protein and texture, maybe you should switch to decent (insect free) coffee?

Tea is a nice drink for soothing and calming, but is NO SUBSTITUTE for the holy bean.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:04pm

Earwig won't do you no harm. It probably just crawled into the dark damp spouty bit overnight, then spooged out in the morning.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:08pm

happybaboon wrote:Earwig won't do you no harm. It probably just crawled into the dark damp spouty bit overnight, then spooged out in the morning.

spooged? into my coffee? thanks.
crazychris

Postby nagem on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:13pm

teabags are dusty. You needa rinse them before you drop them in the cup.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:14pm

danose wrote:maybe switch to tea - but with a few no-doz tabs disolved in it?

Sadly, caffeine has no 'wakey wakey' effect (or is it affect? vorbii will advise I'm sure) on me. I drink strong coffees and nod off to sleep every single night.

I did try no-dose when I was trying to study back in the day when I did study, first try was a complete failure, woke up on the couch with notes spread all over the floor. Second attempt was an overdose, so I awoke with my face on the kitchen table snorting 2-minute noodle sachets my flatmates had opened and left under my nose. In neither case was I awake more than I would have been without the dumb things.

I think it would be cool if it worked. Sadly, it just smooths out the anger to a gently boiling rage.
crazychris

Postby danose on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:14pm

crazychris wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Earwig won't do you no harm. It probably just crawled into the dark damp spouty bit overnight, then spooged out in the morning.

you'd better not go read the FDA spec on what is the 'acceptable' level of contamination in stuff like chocolate then :

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManu ... 074443.htm

basically ignorance is bliss :o
danose

Postby danose on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:16pm

crazychris wrote:Sadly, caffeine has no 'wakey wakey' effect (or is it affect? vorbii will advise I'm sure) on me. I drink strong coffees and nod off to sleep every single night.

same here - it's cos we're both adapted to it (or addicted - you choose the word you feel happiest with). However if I suddenly cut my consumption I get splitting headaches - hence the suggestion of tea laced with no-doz
danose

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:17pm

crazychris wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of "non-dairy creamer"? The Yanks use it all the time (Hey, I just realised, that's probably why they're called Yanks)
happybaboon

Postby MattV on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:18pm

Spooged - for that creamy taste.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:28pm

Tea is definitely the way forward. It has almost as much caffeine in as coffee and it's more refreshing. My personal favourite is Earl Grey, but I'll understand if that frankly sounds a bit namby-pamby! :blush:
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:29pm

crazychris wrote:

a new kind of non dairy whitener?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:30pm

I find tea to be bland and boring.
happybaboon

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts