Re: Is It Time To Switch To Tea?

Postby crazychris on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:32pm

stiffeeslicker wrote:Tea is definitely the way forward. It has almost as much caffeine in as coffee and it's more refreshing. My personal favourite is Earl Grey, but I'll understand if that frankly sounds a bit namby-pamby! :blush:

Wikipedia disagrees with oyu, kinda...
Although tea contains more caffeine than coffee, a typical serving contains much less, as tea is normally brewed much weaker.

Espresso style brewed tea... Hmmm... I wonder....
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby danose on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:34pm

stiffeeslicker wrote:Tea is definitely the way forward. It has almost as much caffeine in as coffee and it's more refreshing. My personal favourite is Earl Grey, but I'll understand if that frankly sounds a bit namby-pamby! :blush:

by 'almost' you mean 'roughly half' (40mg per 'serve' vs 80mg for 'typical' coffee)

wonder how many mg a c1 quad shot short black has :)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:36pm

crazychris wrote:Espresso style brewed tea... Hmmm... I wonder....

I don't think you can get caffiene out of tea as easily as you can from coffee beans.

I extracted caffiene from tea leaves once ages ago. The yeild from a shittonne of teabags was pathetic (I forget the actual numbers, but I was hopeful of obtaining enough caffiene to kill an elephant, but I ended up getting enough to kill approximately a few sparrows).
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:37pm

happybaboon wrote:I find tea to be bland and boring.

I have had 2 x mugs of gumboot tea so far this afternoon (desperate for a hot beverage) and I would have to agree. Smells better than it tastes, and it don't smell that great.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:42pm

happybaboon wrote:but I ended up getting enough to kill approximately a few sparrows).

small bits of high speed lead work better for that
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:45pm

crazychris wrote:

I have had 2 x mugs of gumboot tea so far this afternoon (desperate for a hot beverage) and I would have to agree. Smells better than it tastes, and it don't smell that great.

You're both drinking the wrong kinda tea....
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:47pm

Its only an earwig you'll be fine. Its not that uncommon to find bugs especially cockroaches in coffee machines. They love the warm moist environment. Gumboot teabags probably are wores its just the bugs are mground up so you don't notice them :D

I definatly wouldn't stop coffee suddenly. I used to drink maybe 12 coffees a day and stop suddenly suffering a few weeks of horrible headaches. I now drink a much more resonable 6 coffees a day but still find I get headaches if I don't have coffee for more than a few hours.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 19/Jan/10 4:48pm

crazychris wrote:

That's the big disappointment with teas. Some of them (even the lesbo flower/fruit ones) promise so much with the smell test, but then when you taste them all you get is thinly flavoured hot water. Not worth the effort.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 19/Jan/10 5:29pm

Spyder wrote:
crazychris wrote:

That's the big disappointment with teas. Some of them (even the lesbo flower/fruit ones) promise so much with the smell test, but then when you taste them all you get is thinly flavoured hot water. Not worth the effort.

I totally agree about fruit teas, they mostly taste of sweet FA (although adding honey makes it a lot better) But proper black teas are different. If you want something with a bit of balls, try Assam or Lapsang Souchong, they're pretty strong and smoky. :thumbsup:
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 19/Jan/10 7:55pm

danose wrote:
crazychris wrote:Sadly, caffeine has no 'wakey wakey' effect (or is it affect? vorbii will advise I'm sure) on me. I drink strong coffees and nod off to sleep every single night.

same here - it's cos we're both adapted to it (or addicted - you choose the word you feel happiest with). However if I suddenly cut my consumption I get splitting headaches - hence the suggestion of tea laced with no-doz

you only get headaches, lucky you, No coffee, I turn into a total asshole (well more of a asshole)

after I gave up my cafe job a few years back,my partner wondered why for 6 weeks I was a total asshole (going from 6 - 8 doubles a day , to 2)

and it still affects me now, If I don't get 2 in the morning and one in the arvo, I jus can't deal with the phones (and some of the moron client shops)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 19/Jan/10 8:02pm

good thing i'm not at a shop anymore eh?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 19/Jan/10 8:05pm

shmoodiver wrote:good thing i'm not at a shop anymore eh?

Brad, if ONLY you were the hardest client I ever had to deal with on the phone

OMG, there are some fuckmunts in cycle retail,

Oh and some truely wonderful people, that I love dealing with
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 19/Jan/10 8:08pm

thats pretty grim brah
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby danose on Tue 19/Jan/10 8:28pm

Spyder wrote:That's the big disappointment with teas. Some of them (even the lesbo flower/fruit ones) promise so much with the smell test, but then when you taste them all you get is thinly flavoured hot water. Not worth the effort.

the same is true of coffee of course - the trick with both is to get DECENT raw materials. Chanes of a nice tasty cup of tea from something in a teabag is about the same as getting a drinkable coffee from instant
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 19/Jan/10 8:31pm

dilmah
shmoodiver

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts