Re: Time To Lose The Gears

Postby dave_sharpe on Fri 1/May/15 11:47am

Assuming this relates more to MTB than Road SS, but not having a bunch of mud/grit/sand/water through the shifters/cables/derailleurs/cassette/chainrings is a great reason to go SS when the trails aren't dry - anyone who rides a lot during winter can probably expect to add a fair bit to their maintenance cost during these months, I'd expect.

On another note, as the days are shorter and people more pressed for time to ride, SS affords the opportunity to smash oneself over more thoroughly in less time :D
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 1/May/15 11:54am

Sums it up pretty well. :love:

I also like how quiet it is, and I don't get all sweary when my gears don't change.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 1/May/15 12:32pm

dave_sharpe wrote:Assuming this relates more to MTB than Road SS, but not having a bunch of mud/grit/sand/water through the shifters/cables/derailleurs/cassette/chainrings is a great reason to go SS when the trails aren't dry - anyone who rides a lot during winter can probably expect to add a fair bit to their maintenance cost during these months, I'd expect.

On another note, as the days are shorter and people more pressed for time to ride, SS affords the opportunity to smash oneself over more thoroughly in less time :D

This.

Also why to spend much of winter on a hardtail.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Kev on Fri 1/May/15 1:18pm

I can't imagine going offroad on a single speed. I'd either have to get off and push every hill or top out at 10kph on the flat because it's geared so low. I guess I just accepted rattling chains and gears that don't quite work when they get muddy as part and parcel of mountain biking. Mind you, it's been a couple of years since I've been on a trail that wasn't bone dry and dusty.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 1/May/15 1:30pm

You'd be surprised how good you get at reading trails and using body language to help you up and over things when you can't just dump down a few gears. I treat it a little bit as a skills session during winter.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby MattV on Sat 2/May/15 5:44pm

Kev wrote:I can't imagine going offroad on a single speed. I'd either have to get off and push every hill or top out at 10kph on the flat because it's geared so low. I guess I just accepted rattling chains and gears that don't quite work when they get muddy as part and parcel of mountain biking. Mind you, it's been a couple of years since I've been on a trail that wasn't bone dry and dusty.

You'll be quite demoralized to see how quick some of these single speeders can actually climb and stuff ... I know I was :(
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Sat 2/May/15 5:54pm

Scotty wrote:You'd be surprised how good you get at reading trails and using body language to help you up and over things when you can't just dump down a few gears. I treat it a little bit as a skills session during winter.

^^This.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Sun 3/May/15 10:08am

My bike is currently singlespeeded too. I do think it makes a difference what your local trails are like? Some places are steep and quite hard to singlespeed unless you are fit and strong - other places are more flowy and more suited to the one gear.

Rotorua works well for one gear.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Sun 3/May/15 1:05pm

^^Also this.
Singlespeeding in Vegas = awesome.
Sinflespeeding the Port Hills = not so much
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months