Is it time to ban fireworks?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total voters : 46

Re: It's Time To Ban Fireworks

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 5/Nov/14 7:51pm

jo wrote:Not raining or windy enough to put people off tonight in wellys.

In any event, I'm sure they've all stockpiled them for my delight for the next 3 months. :crazy:

That's the thing ah, if it was limited to just one night, I could get over it, but people drag it out for so long...
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 6/Nov/14 12:05am

It never used to be like that. Unless delayed by rain it was just one night back when I was a lad.

Respect for tradition has sadly declined. I bet people who let off fireworks on random days also eat with their elbows and bring cellphones to the table. If they even have a table. I imagine them slurping tinned spaghetti off the deck with Golden Rain fireworks stuck in their bum and Nicky Minaj on the stereo. :angry:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Thu 6/Nov/14 12:20am

Simonius_Titius wrote: I bet people who let off fireworks on random days also eat with their elbows

How the fuck do they do that?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Thu 6/Nov/14 12:23am

I think you're looking at past through rose-tinted glasses - in the *cough* 1960s I remember plenty of fireworks in the days and nights around Guy Fawkes Night, many of which me and my equally dodgy mates were deploying oblivious to any harm we might be causing.

I'm talking blowing up thunder bungers in cans to make them noisier, strings of pohas and Tom Thumbs being chucked at each other and anywhere else we could think of, and skyrockets fired into the bush and the sea.

I can't remember how many days they were on sale for, but I sure remember stashing as many as possible for random use during the year. My Dad was an accomplice too, pulling them out for New Years Eve, birthdays and parties, and we were by no means the only family to do this as we were growing up. We were obviously oblivious to any effect they were having on our animals.

I reckon fireworks carnage in Wellington peaked in the late 70s, when Oriental Bay was like a warzone, with rockets being fired across the road into cars and random passers-by.

Even into my 30s there would inevitably be several scrub fires in Owhiro Bay the days around the 5th...
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 6/Nov/14 7:24am

Sounds awesome :D
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 6/Nov/14 8:13am

Oli wrote:I think you're looking at past through rose-tinted glasses - in the *cough* 1960s I remember plenty of fireworks in the days and nights around Guy Fawkes Night, many of which me and my equally dodgy mates were deploying oblivious to any harm we might be causing.

I'm talking blowing up thunder bungers in cans to make them noisier, strings of pohas and Tom Thumbs being chucked at each other and anywhere else we could think of, and skyrockets fired into the bush and the sea.

I can't remember how many days they were on sale for, but I sure remember stashing as many as possible for random use during the year. My Dad was an accomplice too, pulling them out for New Years Eve, birthdays and parties, and we were by no means the only family to do this as we were growing up. We were obviously oblivious to any effect they were having on our animals.

I reckon fireworks carnage in Wellington peaked in the late 70s, when Oriental Bay was like a warzone, with rockets being fired across the road into cars and random passers-by.

Even into my 30s there would inevitably be several scrub fires in Owhiro Bay the days around the 5th...

Anyone know when they banned pohas and tom thumbs? I remember in the 80s being at primary school and being able to buy them at the vege shop. I have a vague recollection of maybe the dairy across the road from my school selling them also but I would have been real young for that.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 6/Nov/14 8:26am

Pohas. Fuck yes. :lol:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 6/Nov/14 8:46am

pre pohas there were canon crackers. my brother (older by 7 years) and his mates used to stuff them into a hunk of 1 inch galv piping, crimp the end somehow, stuff an AA battery in the other end, and when you fired it straight up the battery would go out of sight. or if you fired it through the paling fences so common around suburban chch they'd go through to the next property over, ie, through two fences!!!

i wonder why they were banned? :lol:

but pohas? they were harmless! :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby EoinC on Thu 6/Nov/14 10:34am

swtchbckr wrote:pre pohas there were canon crackers. my brother (older by 7 years) and his mates used to stuff them into a hunk of 1 inch galv piping, crimp the end somehow, stuff an AA battery in the other end, and when you fired it straight up the battery would go out of sight. or if you fired it through the paling fences so common around suburban chch they'd go through to the next property over, ie, through two fences!!!

i wonder why they were banned? :lol:

but pohas? they were harmless! :D

Aaaah, the Mighty Cannon! I used to (when I could afford it) wrap ~8 Mighty Canons together with insulation tape, and join the fuses with the extra that used to hold strings of Double Happy's together. That made for a mighty Mighty Canon. Will no-one think of the letterboxes?

When I was younger and had zero funds, my pyro-flauntings came from scrounging up all the misfires of other richer folks, and re-packing spent skyrocket cases - Run a Double Happy fuse through, and wrap up in masking tape for another happy childhood memory.

The only fireworks education I remember (other than 'how to's' from older kids), was when one kid over in Porirua blew off his hand or fingers, and we all got a bit of a lecture at primary school about being careful when packing one's own Guy Fawkes kit.

Guy Fawkes night down on the beach at Plimmerton used to be a hoot, with a mega bonfire, and the Fire Brigade putting on a great display of their mad skilz.

When I was an older lad and living in Wellietoon, skyrockets inside waterpipe, with Thunders or Mighty Canons strapped on was de rigeur, as Oli has noted. Certain bus shelters were more like urban bomb shelters at that special time of year.

Bad time to be a pet, though. Now that I've had my fun, I'll be like Alex' droogs in Clockwork Orange, and say "Ban 'em".
clockwork orange turns 40 wb chandler 615.jpg
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 6/Nov/14 10:43am

OMG. When will the madness end???!!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1070916 ... oman-slept
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby danose on Thu 6/Nov/14 10:52am

EoinC wrote:Aaaah, the Mighty Cannon! I used to (when I could afford it) wrap ~8 Mighty Canons together with insulation tape, and join the fuses with the extra that used to hold strings of Double Happy's together. That made for a mighty Mighty Canon. Will no-one think of the letterboxes?

it didn't take me long as a kid to realise I could pop into the local garden shop and buy everything I needed to make my own gun powder (actually being cunning I'd pop into 2-3 since buying a bag of sulphur, a bag of powdered charcoal and a bag of potassium nitrate all in one place is a bit obvious). And the best thing was it was available all year around!!! :thumbsup:

plus of course this was back before they bastardised matches so you couldn't make matchbox bombs (fun in their own right, but also a damned useful detonator)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 6/Nov/14 10:59am

Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 6/Nov/14 11:01am

danose wrote:
EoinC wrote:Aaaah, the Mighty Cannon! I used to (when I could afford it) wrap ~8 Mighty Canons together with insulation tape, and join the fuses with the extra that used to hold strings of Double Happy's together. That made for a mighty Mighty Canon. Will no-one think of the letterboxes?

it didn't take me long as a kid to realise I could pop into the local garden shop and buy everything I needed to make my own gun powder (actually being cunning I'd pop into 2-3 since buying a bag of sulphur, a bag of powdered charcoal and a bag of potassium nitrate all in one place is a bit obvious). And the best thing was it was available all year around!!! :thumbsup:

plus of course this was back before they bastardised matches so you couldn't make matchbox bombs (fun in their own right, but also a damned useful detonator)

you're on a list
Henry Dorset Case

Postby danose on Thu 6/Nov/14 11:04am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
danose wrote:

you're on a list

pah, gunpowder is for just playing around - now a concrete mixer truck and a drive out to ravensdown to fill er up.....
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 6/Nov/14 11:32am

moving up the list now.
Henry Dorset Case

Sifting - Latest Posts