Tim Wilding's 24 Hour N-duro Race Report

Postby T-Rex on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:00am

Cabin asked me to be a part of team Major Debt for the Ay Up 24hr N-Duro at around the right time; pre-Christmas. It had been well over a year since I'd done a 24 and over that time the memories of 4am laps in a cold Whakawerawera forest, sleep deprivation and temporary cessation of hygienic practices had been superceded by recollections of the thrill of emerging through the ardor as overall winners. And because, at that time, the race was some months off it was easy to say yes and not properly consider my options. My mind is responsible for great things at times.

Fast forward to yesterday (does that work?) and what i had once more let myself in for was starting to dawn on me. Not that I cared that deeply; it was 12.40pm and I was about to go out for my first lap. The fatigue, the subtle morphing of big ring climbs into middle ring grinds, would come later and for now immediate task at hand was to build on the lead that Cabin had hopefully gained for us in the first lap.

Lead he did, but only just. Ed from RnR Sport Wellington was hot on his tail and took the lead as we swapped transponders. RnR were also a team of 4, but all guys in contrast to our mixed status. That lap set the tone for the next 18 hours - close competition and hot times as we battled for the overall lead.

As I mentioned last week, I had been hoping to unveil my new race bike this weekend. Unfortunately delivery delays mean that it won't be revealed until next weekend. But if you visit http://www.oli.co.nz you'll get a sneak peak. Instead I was taking the Mojo into competition for the second time in it's life, and in as many weekends. Chasing Ed hard around the early flat tracks such as Tahi and Creek Trail required a little more front weighting than I would normally apply to a race bike with a steeper head angle but once I had that dialled the Ibis ripped, and continued to perform over the day. The 5 inches of rear travel came to be appreciated through the night.

Ed and I duelled through that first lap, swapping the lead intermittently before reaching an unspoken truce late in the piece and backing off ever so slightly. We came in with the fastest lap of the day, mine being faster by a matter of seconds having started slightly behind. And so my day started. We very quickly fell into a rhythm as a team, opting to ride double laps on subsequent cycles to provide adequate recovery time for teammates, and to justify the putting on clammy gear and warming up routine. The afternoon was pleasant, and the evening too, helped in no small part by the fantastic Ay Up light systems lent to us for the weekend. These lights are amazing and a huge step up on anything i've ever had before.

A diet of sausages, hot cross buns, rice, banana, divine carrot cake, pasta bake, lollies kept us trucking through to the start of Sunday. Heading out now into the crisp early morning darkness to complete laps was by now not as appealing a prospect as in the afternoon. Fatigue was beginning to take a toll and while the laps rewards were still there to be grasped the challenges of Princess Anne Rd and the Lion trail were becoming a little greater. The Lion trail is a weird climb. The gradient is forever changing, which on the one hand keeps things fresh, but on the other gives already tired legs further reason to complain.

It was on lap 2 during those night sessions that a thought continued to cycle through my mind; why oh why would you want to be a solo rider?

Thanks to the Hiace Modular Sleep System I was able to bed down through the night and grab a few hours of shut eye. I rode through dawn and, as the sun rose, calculated the prospect of riding further laps. We'd managed to crack RnR through the night and were carrying a 20min lead heading into the last 4.5hours. All of the team had performed with consistent lap times and as the morning sun emerged from the fog we could begin to contemplate easing back a bit. In the end, Cabin finished for us as he has started - in first place and with enough style left in him to wheelie across the line.

Highlights:
- Having clean and dry Pearl Izumi shorts to pull on for each of my turns. It's a small luxury that means a great deal in the wash up after.
- Carrot Cake cooked by Major Debts sous chef, Tamsin Gilbert
- Real coffee from Paul Anthony Larkin
- Riding Dragons Tail, for what may have been the first time. And then 2nd, 3rd, 4th...
- The sweet beats right through the event. No 'Dirty Dog' or Now Thats What I Call Music Volume 2001 here.

Lowlights:
- Running out of rear brake pad.
- Running out of go juice.
- Wasps trying to steal my buns.

So it was a good days racing. Thanks to my teammates Cameron Durno, Nic Leary, and Mark Leishman for a job well done, and thanks to my sponsors and those helpers that supplied me with the gear to get through the day.

Santa Cruz / Ibis Bicycles,
Pearl Izumi Tires,
Roadworks Wellington,
Maxxis Tires.

Next weekend, the Highlander. And a new bike. Whoop!
T-Rex
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Tim Wilding's 24 Hour N-duro Race Report

Postby sifter on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:22am

Great write up Tim. And great result.

Might have to sift down to Berhampore to check out the new steed in the flesh... :blush:
sifter
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:33am

good work, and good on R&R for pushing you guys.

nice write up too :cool:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:35am

Good stuff, T-Rex and Team! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby crossalis on Mon 30/Mar/09 11:30am

I didn't get much of a chance to congratulate you guys (I was not feeling too flash after my long stint in the early morning mist).

That was an awesome duel to be a part of, for 18 hours all we did was swap the race lead. We were pretty evenly matched, but we learnt some important lessons in enduro racing from your team in the hours that mattered.

Because it was so close, Ed and I decided to put in some longer stretches in the midnight to sunrise stretch to rest the other guys up for the sunrise to finish stretch. That tactic was working with Ed and I having some of our best laps in the cold, dark mist. Problem was we didn't have enough fresh cycling gear to stay warm and didn't eat enough. My long stint worked well till I hit the wall half way through my last lap (by which time missing my feed was starting to show in my energy levels), I keep pushing myself deeper to not lose time but that just meant I went deeper into negative!

In the end it was an awesome first 24 hour and the rematch is going to even closer and faster!

Other things that happened:
Jack "Whacko" Whattam rode the 24 hour like it was a normal ride on his single speed - he is the hardest man in NZ cycling!
Tony Hogg pinned the first lap like it was a one lap race, then just held that pace for the rest of the 24 hours!

Highlights:
Hitting the jumps with too much speed in the dark (and hitting a possum on the landing!)
Stace and R&R, for... well a hell of a lot to be honest!
AyUp lights
Rotorua single track at night
The DJ "Grubby Beats" for mixing some mean tunes to keep us all going!

Lowlights:
Not enough riding gear (you have to change after every stint of laps)
Stacking it really hard on an easy bit of track in the day despite riding some solid tracks and full speed in the dark
Putting a dent in the R&R car...

The R&R Wellington Team
Alistair Crossling (me, obviously)
Edwin Crossling
Tom Bradshaw
Connor Power

Till next next time (this is the first enduro of many!),
AL
crossalis
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 30/Mar/09 11:56am

crossalis wrote:some stuff about the race

Did Ed have some troubles in the early evening? He passed me early in one of the firs tnight laps, which was business as usual, then later in the lap I caught and passed him again, which was not at all expected.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Mon 30/Mar/09 1:14pm

way_downsouth wrote:
crossalis wrote:some stuff about the race

Did Ed have some troubles in the early evening? He passed me early in one of the firs tnight laps, which was business as usual, then later in the lap I caught and passed him again, which was not at all expected.

Never ask these question Pete. Just embrace it as the show of raw power and talent from yourself that it was.
Like the time I beat big Gav.
In a granny gear race...

Mad props to all who finished :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 30/Mar/09 1:33pm

Great race reports Tim and Al :)

You should all come down and race the Naseby 12 Hour next year ;)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby NDuroEvents on Mon 30/Mar/09 7:20pm

I can personally vouch for the carrot cake at the Team Major Debt campsite. It was fantastic!

Great reports Tim and Al - we are looking forward to the re-match next year. The NDuro report and race summary will be up soon...
NDuroEvents
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Nuttykiwi on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:52pm

Awesome results.....but where are all the women?
Nuttykiwi
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Bay of Plenty | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Night Riding | Regions | Rotorua - Latest Posts