Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 3/Aug/10 6:34pm

Tim Shadbolt (mayor of Invercargill) has warned of unforseen side effects to John Key's national cycle trail: the Poo left behind by the
cycle-touring equivalent of "freedom campers".

He would like information or articles on the subject, and I'm sure he will get a certain amount of opinion along with it.

original article:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/ ... everywhere

A little help for the worried mayor?
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby nostromo on Tue 3/Aug/10 6:59pm

All these bike trails the Government is building are only going to make it worse, with all those cyclists eating scroggin and yoghurt. (They will have) huge bowel motions when pedalling on bicycles all day, and there will be no toilet facilities.

Huge bowel motions are the best. Only bettered by massive colonic evacuations.
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 3/Aug/10 7:26pm

thank you, I knew someone would stoop to the usual level.

It is actually a serious question, Tim's PA has asked for articles on "freedom cycling camping".
After all the trouble the Southern Lakes area has been having with rogue pooers, Tim sees the cycleway as a serious threat to public health.

:)
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby benw on Tue 3/Aug/10 7:49pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:thank you, I knew someone would stoop to the usual level.

It is actually a serious question, Tim's PA has asked for articles on "freedom cycling camping".
After all the trouble the Southern Lakes area has been having with rogue pooers, Tim sees the cycleway as a serious threat to public health.

:)

Shadbolt is a serious threat to what little dignity local government has.
benw
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Fango on Tue 3/Aug/10 8:33pm

Is this a problem on the Otago Rail Trail? If not, why should it be so on new trails?
Fango
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 3/Aug/10 9:23pm

So stupid. How about improving local water quality by controlling dairy cow poo, Tim? Once you've done that, you can start thinking about the relatively miniscule impacts from cycle tourists.
BrokenKonaRider
User avatar
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 3/Aug/10 9:27pm

The irony of Tim Shadbolt who in the late 80's (maybe early 90's) was on fair-go for building dodgy septic tanks, complaining about inappropriate shitting
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby bubbaa on Tue 3/Aug/10 9:49pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:So stupid. How about improving local water quality by controlling dairy cow poo, Tim? Once you've done that, you can start thinking about the relatively miniscule impacts from cycle tourists.


disagree.

he's talking about the future on cycleways - not the waterway issues from dairying (which I agree in certain parts of the country are a bloody disgrace)

think the article sums it up well - "freedom shitters" are making a mess.

Its a pretty easy connection to make - if you concentrate people in an area without sufficient and appropriate toilet facilities there will be plenty of freedom shitting going on. Its already happening in this country in with high levels of Freedom camping.
Cyclists aren't immune from shitting. Ther is no reason to think they will behave any differently from others.
plans for appropriate toilet facilities are a must - otherwise all users will suffer

If you don't believe me go up the hill behind the Craigeburn shelter - where there is a perfectly functional long drop that people don't want to use - and enjoy the hundreds of little scrunches of origami crap wrap flowers left to decorate the turds left behind by the freedom shitters.
nearly as bad as the Inca trail (is /was) - new thread? - worst literal shit holes in the world?
I'm off for a crap :D
bubbaa
User avatar
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Paul_Bags on Tue 3/Aug/10 10:25pm

Leave a (collapsible?) spade out every few kms. Need to shit? go dig a hole. Sorted.

Also 1984 style surveillance for, um, fining people purposes :paranoid:
Paul_Bags
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 3/Aug/10 11:28pm

this is a problem ALL over nz. those fucking van driving 'freedom' campers, they all shit everywhere. sorry to be generalist, but i've heard its mainly Germans, who think they're doing the environment a favour by NOT putting it in those nasty toilets nicely provided by DOC... cos, like, all that shit in one place cant be good, right? (even tho, a lot of socalled longdrops (like on the able tasman etc) get pumped out every few months and taken to a sewage treatment plant)

so, in general, Tim's probably got it about right...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby nzmatto on Wed 4/Aug/10 7:57am

Nah, I disagree with little timmy boy way down south. Most cycle tourists will be going from place to place, town to town choosing to stay in hotels / motels / bar lobbies. Every couple of hours they'll probably stop at a Cafe anyway. The problem with the freedom campers seems to be more that people are not staying in towns, just pulling up to any public place and sleeping the night in the van. It is the evening and morning evacuations that are an issue.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Fraser on Wed 4/Aug/10 8:33am

This is one of the main problems with Freedom camping/tramping/dogging whatever they call it in NZ.

A shit and a shower.

I think Tim could be highlighting a unforseen aspect of cyclists - the bushshitter. Those MTB types taking a dump next to the track and using an unpreceedented amount of the native plant Brachyglottis repanda.

However I like it how the Germans are to blame for the shitting in NZ they seem to be ok in Europe, I haven't had one shit in the forest near me.
Is there a kiwi watching them taking notes. :thumbsup:
Fraser
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby wuffy on Wed 4/Aug/10 8:34am

Nah they're just evil. :rolleyes:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby its that guy on Wed 4/Aug/10 8:38am

I talked to Tim Shadbolt once. He scares me.
its that guy
User avatar
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Tim Shadbolt Warns Of "huge Bowel Motions"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 4/Aug/10 6:52pm

Fango wrote:Is this a problem on the Otago Rail Trail? If not, why should it be so on new trails?


bubbaa wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:So stupid. How about improving local water quality by controlling dairy cow poo, Tim? Once you've done that, you can start thinking about the relatively miniscule impacts from cycle tourists.


disagree.

he's talking about the future on cycleways - not the waterway issues from dairying (which I agree in certain parts of the country are a bloody disgrace)

think the article sums it up well - "freedom shitters" are making a mess.

Its a pretty easy connection to make - if you concentrate people in an area without sufficient and appropriate toilet facilities there will be plenty of freedom shitting going on. Its already happening in this country in with high levels of Freedom camping.
Cyclists aren't immune from shitting. Ther is no reason to think they will behave any differently from others.
plans for appropriate toilet facilities are a must - otherwise all users will suffer

If you don't believe me go up the hill behind the Craigeburn shelter - where there is a perfectly functional long drop that people don't want to use - and enjoy the hundreds of little scrunches of origami crap wrap flowers left to decorate the turds left behind by the freedom shitters.
nearly as bad as the Inca trail (is /was) - new thread? - worst literal shit holes in the world?
I'm off for a crap :D


I'm sure Tim will appreciate the relevant views, keep it up :thumbsup:
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Lower South Island | National Cycleway | National Politics | New Zealand | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

62 Users browsing this website: DotBot, el_booto, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 58 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit