Re: Thread For General Discussion

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 9/May/11 5:24pm

:lol:
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 9/May/11 5:32pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Trail wrote:Nah, the currants you buy at the supermarket taste nothing like the red or black currants we get here in NZ. They are in fact a type of grape as well, and not too different to raisins... just smaller!

http://www.sun-maid.com/en/products/pro ... olden.html

Those black currants up the hills are pretty woody and tasteless. Good black currants from the newer varieties taste much nicer than those old things!!

Hmm, time for field research at Pak'n'Save.

I wonder if the woody blackcurrants on the hills were originally nicer but after being left to themselves for many generations have not found the niceness genes to be so important. I find it hard to imagine them ever being considered yummy as they are now.

Are woody black currants in the same family as juniper berries (Juniperus communis) ?, found on arid hills on bushes, mostly by people wearing jandels.

Am I correct in your supposition that if water is added to woody currants that are perhaps sultanas or maybe raisins a Gin like substance would result?
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Mon 9/May/11 6:20pm

nah juniper berries are actually little cone like things off conifer type trees. Black and red and white currants are very different little beasts. Full of vitamin C (unless Ribena happens to get hold of them!!) and if properly ripe they are quite sweet. Grow on little bushes that grow up to a meter or two high.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 9/May/11 6:25pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
I wonder if the woody blackcurrants on the hills were originally nicer but after being left to themselves for many generations have not found the niceness genes to be so important. I find it hard to imagine them ever being considered yummy as they are now.

There would have been original settler type homesteads up the hills farming. Those are probably some pretty original blackcurrants bought over from the motherland and have probably not changed their genes much. Pretty hardy, and grow like a weed, but dont taste great. I think that over the last one or two hundred years that a whole bunch of selective breeding has probably gone on to get the sweeter, nicer, juicier little black currants we now have!!
Trail

Postby Trail on Mon 9/May/11 6:29pm

EoinC wrote:Black currants are better than red currants (an empirical fact), but unripe goosberries blow them all out of the water.

Official berriscopal ratings are at hand:

Gooseberries (unripe and stolen) 13.1 / 10
Gooseberries (unripe and legal) 12.2 / 10
Blackberries (wild and / or stolen) 11.0 / 10
Gooseberries (ripe and stolen) 10.9 / 10
Gooseberries (ripe and legal) 10.2 / 10
Blackberries (legal) 9.8 / 10
Boysenberries (any) 9.5 / 10
Raspberries (any) 9.3 / 10
Black Currants (stolen) 8.5 / 10
Black Currants (legal) 6.7 / 10
Red Currants (any) 5.2 / 10
*Cranberries (any) 1.0 / 10
*Blueberries (any) 1.0 / 10

*Ratings < 1.5 are subject to solar radiation, and carry inherently low levels of accuracy. Suffice to say, Cranberries and Blueberries, and all the other pseudoberries, are shite, and are only mentioned here as an indication of the scientific depth of the the data.

eh? 13.1 out of 10?? What is this scale?? How far your mouth will turn inside out with the extreme tartness of the berry?

I really like Gooseberries!! Planted one in the back garden last year. Got 3 berries off it this year... and I am hoping for a whole bunch more next year!!
Trail

Postby Oli on Mon 9/May/11 7:24pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 9/May/11 8:07pm

Blueberries become paradoxically awesome when in the blueberry muffin though. It's strange.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Mon 9/May/11 8:08pm

Or in a pie :love:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Mon 9/May/11 8:10pm

Or a danish :love:
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 9/May/11 8:12pm

Trail wrote:eh? 13.1 out of 10?? What is this scale?? How far your mouth will turn inside out with the extreme tartness of the berry?
Difficult, but achievable, and a fully scalable architecture. It's all based on the good science... curses to those bad science protagonists, and the theorem they rode in on.

Trail wrote:I really like Gooseberries!! Planted one in the back garden last year. Got 3 berries off it this year... and I am hoping for a whole bunch more next year!!
According to the ratings, those gooseberries will taste even better when they're stolen. Please desist from any further harvesting, and PM address...
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 9/May/11 8:17pm

Yes. Pies and danishes too. So I guess it's just how if you combine pretty much anything with sweet cake/pastry it ends up tasting pretty good...
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 9/May/11 9:07pm

so....who wishes they bought Katy Perry tickets :paranoid:
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 9/May/11 9:08pm

did she get her cans out?
Wobbler