Re: Thread For General Discussion

Postby Trail on Sun 8/May/11 9:04pm

Simon_K wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Sultanas are raisins from white grapes, whereas raisins are raisins from dark grapes. Essentially the sultana is a subspecies of raisin.

Thread paying dividends already, learn something new every day

So Babs, how about currants? Also inferior raisins??
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 8/May/11 9:04pm

ratrod wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Sprinkley containers of parmesan are often near the actual parmesan, with the fancy cheeses. Hersheys syrup is in the "Mature needs" section with the whipped cream canisters, cucumbers and lube.

Why does there need to be a fancy cheese section and a regular cheese section. Fucks me right off when I get to the regular cheese section only to realise I have to go back to the fancy cheese section to get cheese that I think is pretty regular.

easier to convince people its worth more if ya put it near other "gourmet" stuff and
allows middle class mummmmmms to go in in grab something for a little dinner party, all in one place, like on the lurrrvly addz
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 8/May/11 9:07pm

Trail wrote:
Simon_K wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Sultanas are raisins from white grapes, whereas raisins are raisins from dark grapes. Essentially the sultana is a subspecies of raisin.

Thread paying dividends already, learn something new every day

So Babs, how about currants? Also inferior raisins??

Depends if they're blackcurrants
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 8/May/11 9:15pm

:lol:
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby istepinyards on Sun 8/May/11 9:35pm

istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 8/May/11 9:38pm

happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby wuffy on Sun 8/May/11 9:59pm

C-c-c-combo-breaker

:paranoid:
wuffy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 9/May/11 12:07am

Sultana grapes are a variety of white grape. Elongated, with tough skin and teeny seeds. If you bite the ends off a sultana you can shine a torch through it, same as with a nasty cheap chicken pie.

Raisin grapes must be similar but red skinned. Nobody has ever seen a raisin grape, their existence can only be deduced from the existence of raisins.

Currants (red or black) grow on currant bushes. Not prickly, not related to grapes or blackberries or prunes or chopped peel.
There are escaped currant bushes growing on the Port Hills eg above Victoria Park. Not at all tasty but the leaves still have that very distinctive smell that I love and many people hate. Someone should make a poll about that.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Mon 9/May/11 9:11am

Simonius_Titius wrote:Sultana grapes are a variety of white grape. Elongated, with tough skin and teeny seeds. If you bite the ends off a sultana you can shine a torch through it, same as with a nasty cheap chicken pie.

Raisin grapes must be similar but red skinned. Nobody has ever seen a raisin grape, their existence can only be deduced from the existence of raisins.

Currants (red or black) grow on currant bushes. Not prickly, not related to grapes or blackberries or prunes or chopped peel.
There are escaped currant bushes growing on the Port Hills eg above Victoria Park. Not at all tasty but the leaves still have that very distinctive smell that I love and many people hate. Someone should make a poll about that.

Nah, the currants you buy at the supermarket taste nothing like the red or black currants we get here in NZ. They are in fact a type of grape as well, and not too different to raisins... just smaller!

http://www.sun-maid.com/en/products/pro ... olden.html

Those black currants up the hills are pretty woody and tasteless. Good black currants from the newer varieties taste much nicer than those old things!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 9/May/11 10:44am

Sitting at home drinking coffee and downloading new music is good. Might even go for a pedal later :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Mon 9/May/11 10:58am

Trying to decide whether to head to Sydney for Queens birthday weekend.....
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby bugle on Mon 9/May/11 3:13pm

Kia ora kia ora kia ora

What goin on ere then?
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 9/May/11 4:35pm

Trail wrote:Nah, the currants you buy at the supermarket taste nothing like the red or black currants we get here in NZ. They are in fact a type of grape as well, and not too different to raisins... just smaller!

http://www.sun-maid.com/en/products/pro ... olden.html

Those black currants up the hills are pretty woody and tasteless. Good black currants from the newer varieties taste much nicer than those old things!!

Hmm, time for field research at Pak'n'Save.

I wonder if the woody blackcurrants on the hills were originally nicer but after being left to themselves for many generations have not found the niceness genes to be so important. I find it hard to imagine them ever being considered yummy as they are now.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby bugle on Mon 9/May/11 4:43pm

I had black currants in a cabbage salad, with coriander etc. at Salute in Greytown recently (oh and some pork belly) was nom nom nom
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 9/May/11 5:08pm

Black currants are better than red currants (an empirical fact), but unripe goosberries blow them all out of the water.

Official berriscopal ratings are at hand:

Gooseberries (unripe and stolen) 13.1 / 10
Gooseberries (unripe and legal) 12.2 / 10
Blackberries (wild and / or stolen) 11.0 / 10
Gooseberries (ripe and stolen) 10.9 / 10
Gooseberries (ripe and legal) 10.2 / 10
Blackberries (legal) 9.8 / 10
Boysenberries (any) 9.5 / 10
Raspberries (any) 9.3 / 10
Black Currants (stolen) 8.5 / 10
Black Currants (legal) 6.7 / 10
Red Currants (any) 5.2 / 10
*Cranberries (any) 1.0 / 10
*Blueberries (any) 1.0 / 10

*Ratings < 1.5 are subject to solar radiation, and carry inherently low levels of accuracy. Suffice to say, Cranberries and Blueberries, and all the other pseudoberries, are shite, and are only mentioned here as an indication of the scientific depth of the the data.
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Sifting - Latest Posts