Bb Thread Damaged!

Postby desmondo84 on Thu 30/Oct/14 8:34pm

Hi

Have recently arrived over from the UK and had shipped my mountain bike over. I was trying to put the bottom bracket back in but managed to damage the thread on the frame. Can anyone recommend someone that could have a look at it for me? Based in Botany area of Auckland.
Cheers
Des
desmondo84
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Re: Bb Thread Damaged!

Postby happybaboon on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:00pm

I notice you're starting a thread about damage to the threads. Good thread. One of the Aucklanders will be along shortly to answer your question, once they've read all the threads about starting threads and stopping threads and subaru heads.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:31pm

Bruno at Cycleexpress in Panmure would be where I would go.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:36pm

happybaboon wrote:I notice you're starting a thread about damage to the threads. Good thread. One of the Aucklanders will be along shortly to answer your question, once they've read all the threads about starting threads and stopping threads and subaru heads.

You've damaged this thread about thread damage by talking about all the other damaging threads created tonight.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:37pm

I'll thread more carefully in the future to avoid damaging any more of the threads about threads. I hope someone can fix this guy's thread and also this thread.
happybaboon

Postby Farm on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:47pm

happybaboon wrote:I'll thread more carefully in the future to avoid damaging any more of the threads about threads. I hope someone can fix this guy's thread and also this thread.

Other than this thread thread and the threads about threads there are new threads about cleats and arnooses so I think the thread generation thread has served its purpose.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 30/Oct/14 9:49pm

I hope this guy can wrap his head around the threads and find Phunk's answer :huh:
happybaboon

Postby desmondo84 on Fri 31/Oct/14 6:49am

flip, wish I hadn't asked lol. :)
Cheers guys, will ring phunk's dude today - fingers crossed!! Flippin raging with myself - doh.
desmondo84

Postby danose on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:55am

desmondo84 wrote:flip, wish I hadn't asked lol. :)
Cheers guys, will ring phunk's dude today - fingers crossed!! Flippin raging with myself - doh.

you're not looking at it the right way, this is the PERFECT excuse to upgrade at least the frame, or indeed upgrade the ENTIRE bike (using the old 'well full bikes are much better priced than frames when you look at what you get' argument) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :satan:

unfortunately you've chosen to move to auckland, so you'll at least have to get a carbon santa cruz to cut it at the local cafe (make sure you get a roof mounted carrier so everyone can admire your ride whilst sipping lattes). Upside is since there's no riding in auckland you can forget about ever wearing it out (or even getting it dirty)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby amb236 on Fri 31/Oct/14 10:36am

Should be an easy fix (depending on how damaged it is). A bit of time with a thread file should clean up the thread enough
amb236
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 31/Oct/14 12:07pm

amb236 wrote:Should be an easy fix (depending on how damaged it is).

You can fix pretty much anything with a proper bb tapping/chasing/facing tool. Should be able to get it sorted no worries.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby desmondo84 on Fri 31/Oct/14 1:21pm

AgrAde wrote:
amb236 wrote:Should be an easy fix (depending on how damaged it is).

You can fix pretty much anything with a proper bb tapping/chasing/facing tool. Should be able to get it sorted no worries.

cheers for the reassurance - was bricking it last night. I think only the first 2-3 threads are busted so fingers crossed. Rang a local independant bike shop in East Tamaki who seemed really confident over the phone so will drop her round later.
desmondo84

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 2/Nov/14 6:42pm

danose wrote:
desmondo84 wrote:flip, wish I hadn't asked lol. :)

you're not looking at it the right way, this is the PERFECT excuse to upgrade at least the frame, or indeed upgrade the ENTIRE bike (using the old 'well full bikes are much better priced than frames when you look at what you get' argument) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :satan:

unfortunately you've chosen to move to auckland, so you'll at least have to get a carbon santa cruz to cut it at the local cafe (make sure you get a roof mounted carrier so everyone can admire your ride whilst sipping lattes). Upside is since there's no riding in auckland you can forget about ever wearing it out (or even getting it dirty)

I don't understand why you would need a light bike if its only on your car
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Sun 2/Nov/14 7:02pm

Mickyfinn :rolleyes:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby desmondo84 on Fri 7/Nov/14 4:00pm

well, managed to fix the thread - wee place in East Tamaki - Prestige bike repairs. Really nice guy.
desmondo84

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts