Postby Bigfoot on Tue 25/Jan/05 7:22pm

ya ive probably seen as many taped back on as i have in good condition... dosent instill much confidence
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 25/Jan/05 7:55pm

Exactly.

Which helmet would people rather be wearing if Mike Tyson was about to punch them in the face?
I wouldnt want to be wearing a Parachute or a switchblade.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 26/Jan/05 7:50am

True...

The giro mad max looks good but £$£$!
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby radical_edward on Wed 26/Jan/05 12:05pm

There are some fine deals on 661 full face helmets at the moment. They can be had for much less than the cost of a nice cross country lid. If you are doing DH/Shuttling/Drops you really have no excuse for not wearing one.

While head injuries provide us with amusement now and then, in the cold light of day they are not funny.

For agressive trail riding, a swank pisspot like a giro semi with lots of vents is nice as (like the xen) it has good coverage on the back of the head.

My head is dead on 60cm which makes most helmets too small or too large. Am wearing a large xen at the moment as the medium makes my eyes bug out. Is a bit wobbly though. It seems to hold on ok but i havent had a crash in it yet. In Western park i did a great breakdancing catterpillar to sliding along _headstand on my pisspot_ to general ragdoll so i know what 'stresses' a helmet can go through. Anybody know brands with good inbetween sizing?
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby fraserb on Wed 26/Jan/05 12:31pm

Percy Pig wrote:Exactly.

Which helmet would people rather be wearing if Mike Tyson was about to punch them in the face?

dont think i would want to be standing in the way of a punch from tyson even if i was wearing a full face :crazy: .
i have said it before and will say it again- they are not ment to be "real" full face helmets
but what would you rather be wearing if you were landing on your face coming off your bike? a pisspot/halfshell or a switchblade?
they are ment to give a bit more protection for aggressive trail style riding not as a brain bucket for full on downhill.
i find mine is good as it gives me a bit more protection than a standard helmet but i dont have to take it off every time i stop or go up a hill before i start to overheat as you do with most full face lids. when or if i do get into serious DH i will get a full face.
fraserb
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Lamedoggo on Wed 26/Jan/05 12:41pm

fraserb wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:Exactly.

dont think i would want to be standing in the way of a punch from tyson even if i was wearing a full face :crazy: .
i have said it before and will say it again- they are not ment to be "real" full face helmets
but what would you rather be wearing if you were landing on your face coming off your bike? a pisspot/halfshell or a switchblade?
they are ment to give a bit more protection for aggressive trail style riding not as a brain bucket for full on downhill.
i find mine is good as it gives me a bit more protection than a standard helmet but i dont have to take it off every time i stop or go up a hill before i start to overheat as you do with most full face lids. when or if i do get into serious DH i will get a full face.

WORD.
Lamedoggo
"Like Elmo but without the fluff."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Stun on Wed 26/Jan/05 1:32pm

Here's the thing.
It doesn't matter what you're doing... XC, DH, trail riding, 4X or even road riding...
You can NEVER predict when you're gonna crash, or how big the crash will be.

Wear the most armour you can get away with (comfortably)... helmet included.

The Giro Switchblades etc are a compromise - and when you compromise on something, you always end up as the loser... you may get part of what you want, but not ALL of it!

I have a Dakin pack coming that lets me strap a full face helmet to it, so I can ride the uphill / road sections with a XC lid on, then strap on the DH lid for the DH bits.

S.
Stun
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby radical_edward on Wed 26/Jan/05 3:04pm

Stun wrote:The Giro Switchblades etc are a compromise - and when you compromise on something, you always end up as the loser... you may get part of what you want, but not ALL of it!

I second that. The sort of crash that the Met/Switchblade is going to protect you during isn't going to leave a graze worth crying about!

Having said that, the switchblade looks a lot sturdier than the Met. With the guard extending so far foward makes it look like it will catch and pull the helmet round during a real thumping crash, especially offroad. A proper full face fits tight against your jaw so it aint going anywhere.

These compromise helmets should do ok sliding on nice 'smooth' tarmac. Better suited to the agressive commuter?
Last edited by radical_edward on Wed 26/Jan/05 3:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."

Postby atsunD on Wed 26/Jan/05 3:05pm

Percy Pig wrote: I dont rate any of those removable chin guard helmets,the chin guard cant be strong enough to do more than keep bugs and branches off your face.

keeping branches off my face is enuff for me sometimes - some of those backcountry trails are a bit overgrown at times
but yeah they're only meant as a bit more protection than an openface helmet - most fullface helmets are just too hot for riding for more than 30mins
atsunD
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby AarowNZ on Wed 26/Jan/05 3:28pm

atsunD wrote:
Percy Pig wrote: I dont rate any of those removable chin guard helmets,the chin guard cant be strong enough to do more than keep bugs and branches off your face.

keeping branches off my face is enuff for me sometimes - some of those backcountry trails are a bit overgrown at times
but yeah they're only meant as a bit more protection than an openface helmet - most fullface helmets are just too hot for riding for more than 30mins

Yea I agree, its alright if you are shuttling cause you can take it off every 10 mins for the drive up, but for riding at woodhill in summer in 25 degree heat its just to hot.

At Hunua I was sweating hard enough just in my bucket helmet.
AarowNZ
"What?"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby radical_edward on Wed 26/Jan/05 3:45pm

We rode Hunua just after Christmas and it was over 30 degrees in the carpark (i have a thermometer on my camelback zipper). No wind in that valley.
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."

Re: Thoughts On The Met Parachute

Postby mark2c on Mon 30/Nov/09 10:14pm

I've been using a Met for about 2 years and it works well for me. Good ventilation and fit for me, 1kg with 900 lumen light, battery and tail light fitted.

Anyone can kiss the ground at 20km/h with long lasting results. Nobody's fashion statement though...
mark2c
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 30/Nov/09 10:15pm

Epic dredge
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/Nov/09 10:23pm

I'm dissapointed. When I read "met parachute" I envisioned a parachute mounted on the back of a helmet, either as a drag chute for emergency braking (like the space shuttle has) or so you could ride your bike off a cliff and then float down to the ground (ie, sikkkk hucks). So, yeah, the helmet is a total letdown for me.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Drogen_Omen on Thu 6th Feb 9:00pm

2 years ago i got a Met Parachute for BMX racing, these helmets are awesome. light and strong and heaps of ventilation.

I also managed to get it approved as one of only 2 mips helmets allowed with BMX NZ.

Now we use Met Parachute helmets for all our mountain biking.

The reviews in europe are awesome for the Met helmet, they are used for all types of bike events.

The Parachute is a seriously lightweight and durable helmet for serious riders. It aims squarely at the enduro crowd where breathability during the climb is as important as protection during timed downhill runs.

You don’t race? That’s ok… the Parachute does not discriminate, as it protected me, too!

With such a high standard of protection at such a low weight. On that note, consider the Parachute as two helmets in one: almost as breathable as a half shell, yet much safer. This 2-in-1 characteristic is a convenient and cost-effective option for those who want both a full face and a half shell, but don’t want to juggle between the two.

Theres a bunch of reviews at the bottom of this linked page.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/ ... prod152953

There is also a new Met helmet out called the Met Parachute MCR, unlike the original this new MCR one has a detachable chin bar. i'm not too keen to find out how strong or safe that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhgE1q5Sv8

I highly recommend the Met Parachute, specially after the amount of crashes we have had over the last 2 years with BMX racing, XC mountain bike racing and downhill riding.
Drogen_Omen
Member for: 6 months 1 week

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts