This Is Why We Do What We Do

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 12:09pm

So we know we're still alive.

I went out for an epic alpine mission on Sunday with James and Mel. We were out for a bit under 8 hours and got up to around 1,850 vertical metres. There was quite a bit of bike carrying up and some scary exposure on the main descent but the beech forest singletrack pay off was sublime. There was a river bed ride at the end which was surprisingly enjoyable too. Unfortunately the ride ended with an hour on the road with a few hundred vertical metres of steepish climbing to put the hurt on.

Here's some photos from the day - this is in the Craigieburn Ranges about 1½ hours drive from Christchurch. I'm not going to give details about the trip as it's the sort of thing you should really only attempt with heaps of alpine experience, good maps (thanks Trail and neels), a strong knowledge of the area, the right equipment (burly bikes, lots of gear), a good base fitness, and the mindset to really really hurt yourself for epic singletrack/ alpine views payback. And all of you who have those things will have already worked out where we were, what we did and how to re-create it :)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: This Is Why We Do What We Do

Postby Colin on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:30pm

Awesome
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:53pm

Colin wrote:Awesome

Agree. I want to do a ride like that, not sit in an office and stare out at the amazing weather.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:55pm

Looks Epic!
I have so got to get down for some south island riding :cry:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:07pm

I hurt now
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby skint on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:18pm

Stunning ride!
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby heathen on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:28pm

was that Ritchie lurking in the bushes with his mattock ?? :D
heathen
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:42pm

heathen wrote:was that Ritchie lurking in the bushes with his mattock ?? :D

Nah, he was at home looking after the twins like a good boy :D
Tama

Postby inzane on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:07pm

Tama wrote:Unfortunately the ride ended with an hour on the road with a few hundred vertical metres of steepish climbing to put the hurt on.

Looks like you got a primo day for it :thumbsup: just like the one we got a couple of weeks ago!!

I did mention it is a damn good idea to organise transport for that last bit rather than riding the road :lol:

If we had not been able to organise the transport we would have sent one of the party out to show some leg and hitch a ride back to the Van!! :sneaky:
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby inzane on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:09pm

Oh and I would have been keen to come with you, but I had a date with a Kaka :paranoid:
IMG_3957.JPG
inzane

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:15pm

Camera phone was a bit blurry... but the ride was rad to the power of sick. :thumbsup: The beech forest section is one of the funnest bits of singletrack I've yet ridden, anywhere!

And yes, next time there will need to be a bit of a car shuttle that last little climb on the highway before turning back onto the dirt access road nearly killed me.

Also, uploading photos in new vorb is very convenient!
29032009066.jpg
29032009065.jpg
29032009063.jpg
29032009059.jpg
29032009052.jpg
29032009044.jpg
29032009045.jpg
j2hyde

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:18pm

I appear to be touching myself and grinning: rez_viewattach.php?id=112899 :huh: :blush:

Oh yeah, and the commitment needed to head over the gradient change off the ridge is sizeable. All you can see is the valley floor - 700 odd metres below :blink: :crazy:
Tama

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:26pm

Even better was when I got back to C's place the guys had just finished building a fire bath - ie an old iron bath with a fire in a pit dug underneath. Soaking the day's exertions away in a nice hot bath under the stars with a glass of red. :)

Probably gave the neghibours a bit of a thrill too :satan:
j2hyde

Postby inzane on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:27pm

j2hyde wrote:Camera phone was a bit blurry... but the ride was rad to the power of sick. :thumbsup: The beech forest section is one of the funnest bits of singletrack I've yet ridden, anywhere!

And yes, next time there will need to be a bit of a car shuttle that last little climb on the highway before turning back onto the dirt access road nearly killed me.

Also, uploading photos in new vorb is very convenient!

Some cool pics! However I find it does not matter how good the camera is, when I get home and look at the pictures they never quite convey just how good and wonderful the experience was :huh:

Some photos from our trip up there a couple of weeks back http://www.flickr.com/photos/13388519@N ... 108542464/

This was my favourite from the day. :)
Craigie.jpg
Last edited by inzane on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
inzane

Postby inzane on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:30pm

Tama wrote:I appear to be touching myself and grinning: rez_viewattach.php?id=112899 :huh: :blush:

Oh yeah, and the commitment needed to head over the gradient change off the ridge is sizeable. All you can see is the valley floor - 700 odd metres below :blink: :crazy:

That bit of the ride really does ya head in huh?? :lol:

Rolling rolling... everything is fine, and then the vista just opens out in front of you :crazy: and your brain goes crazy and ya head starts to freak out a bit :butbut:

Is great :thumbsup:
inzane

Canterbury | Cycling | Epic Riding | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts