This'll Pee Off A Few People

Postby cruiser on Sat 16/Oct/10 8:51am

An out-of-work artist is setting up a taxpayer-funded "beneficiaries' office" in downtown Wellington to promote the virtues of being unemployed.

He is part of a $53,000 performance art installation series paid for by Creative New Zealand and Wellington City Council.

Creative NZ is defending its decision to provide a $40,000 grant but said last night it was unaware of the installation's "precise content" when the grant was signed off.

Tao Wells, 37, advocates the opportunities and benefits of unemployment and says it is unfair that long-term beneficiaries are labelled bludgers for exploiting the welfare system.

Wells' installation, The Beneficiary's Office, urges people to abandon jobs they don't like rather than suffering eight hours of "slavery".

"We need to work less, so we consume less. The average carbon footprint of the unemployed person is about half of that of those earning over $100,000." full story here
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: This'll Pee Off A Few People

Postby RJD on Sat 16/Oct/10 9:09am

I guess its 'art' for creating controversy but still...
RJD
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby dented on Sat 16/Oct/10 9:41am

We love bludgers. LOVE them, I tell ya
dented
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby MTBChick on Sat 16/Oct/10 9:54am

By the way guys this man is an ex-Economist with the Treasury, he knows his stuff!

;)
MTBChick
"Learning from the big kids"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sat 16/Oct/10 10:37am

Thats subversive. I like it. I would rather my money (I am a taxpayer, barely) went to that than say paying Chris Carter's salary. Or J Kizzle's for that matter.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Colin on Sat 16/Oct/10 10:50am

I want my share of the $40,000 back and given to someone trying to get themselves off a benefit.

Actually I'm also a Welli rate payer so I want my share of what they stumped up redirected too.

it is unfair that long-term beneficiaries are labelled bludgers for exploiting the welfare system.

Stupid.

Exploit = To make use of selfishly or unethically

Those exploiting the welfare system are fucking bludgers.

And those in 8 hours of slavery need to focus a better fucking job rather than sponging off my efforts on the mines
Colin
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby kiwi_zg on Sat 16/Oct/10 11:10am

Bludger = those who can work, but choose not too and are getting a benefit.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Sat 16/Oct/10 11:11am

MTBChick wrote:By the way guys this man is an ex-Economist with the Treasury, he knows his stuff!

;)

So he is a smart bludger then.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Barks on Sat 16/Oct/10 11:17am

Stuff.co.nz wrote:Artist paints noble picture of dole

So I'm guessing he hasn't painted a picture of the guy asleep on his couch wearing a wifebeater, surrounded by empty KFC buckets and Lion Red bottles then?
Barks
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:05pm

:lol: That's awesome. WINZ axed his benifit as soon as they heard about it.

This is a reasonably decent idea in term of art though IMO. One interesting thing that art can do is challenge the way we look at the world and unlike so much modern art (that I consider to be just pointless innane drivel) this at least makes an interesting point, and it does make you think...

Consider that, for example, maybe what this guy is really trying to comment on is the way that our modern nanny state has allowed people to become so disconnected from reality that some people have no idea how they would get treated outside a modern society. Ie: killed for being useless, or never born in the first place.

And is our society a prison? Well, maybe. But it's a less restrictive prison than other societies and this particular artist (like so many artists who rail against the man) suggests no better alternative, other than bankrupting the country like Greece has.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:05pm

Barks wrote:
Stuff.co.nz wrote:Artist paints noble picture of dole

So I'm guessing he hasn't painted a picture of the guy asleep on his couch wearing a wifebeater, surrounded by empty KFC buckets and Lion Red bottles then?

That would be a massive invasion of my privacy :hmmm:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby ThingOne on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:13pm

Its just crazy that people have this mentality, surely an economist knows that the money for his benefit doesnt grow on trees, and even if it did who would harvest it to deliver to him.
Nor for that matter would he have anywhere to spend his $$ if everyone was on the dole, forcing him to grow his own food which = work.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:19pm

If someone's happy being on the dole then that's not really what I have a problem with. But when he's rubbing it in my face by spending close to the equvalent of my year's income in taxes on something he knows is gonna piss alot people off, frankly, he deserves a boot to the neck.

But that's just my opinion. :angry:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:23pm

If he is an economist he'll know that a lot of economic theory is based on some rather questionable assumptions.

I theorise that he's a trackie :(
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 16/Oct/10 12:27pm

I'd say all he's going to achieve is harm by way of suspicion of legitimate long-term unemployed who would like to work but cannot. What a dick.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts