Re: Is This Justice?

Postby happybaboon on Sun 11/Jul/10 8:42pm

HDC you've been saying you're going to rule as all for years now, and still nothing. :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby VERT on Sun 11/Jul/10 8:43pm

IMO 2 years for killing someone is pretty good especially for killing a cyclist. The last time I heard about a cyclist getting killed was that women tourist getting killed near bulls which was once again by a truck driver. Although the truck driver got done with reckless driving they didnt even go to prison.

But the justice system isnt only fucked when it comes to killing cyclists, its killing anyone. Life in NZ aint worth shit.
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Sun 11/Jul/10 8:54pm

VERT wrote:IMO 2 years for killing someone is pretty good especially for killing a cyclist. The last time I heard about a cyclist getting killed was that women tourist getting killed near bulls which was once again by a truck driver. Although the truck driver got done with reckless driving they didnt even go to prison.

But the justice system isnt only fucked when it comes to killing cyclists, its killing anyone. Life in NZ aint worth shit.

But vert that other driver Didnt see the cyclist.
Never mind, he'll have his license back in a year and be driving around the central north island again, hope he's had his eyes checked, or..or.. I guess he'll lose his license again :blink:
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Sun 11/Jul/10 10:58pm

A driver who killed a German cyclist after falling asleep at the wheel of his heavily laden logging truck and trailer has been jailed for two years and three months.
Roberts was also disqualified from driving for two years.

:blink:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 11/Jul/10 11:04pm

That happens all the time - people suspended from driving for a term far less than their jail term :D I guess it's 'cos people almost never ever serve their entire jail term. As someone who'll probably be well behaved and unlikely to reoffend he'll be out on "home detention" or parole in about 9 months or so...
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Mon 12/Jul/10 7:46am

It's all about intent. The parking meter guy intentionally committed multiple offenses over a period of time. The truck driver intentionally circumvented a system designed to stop the very accident he had.
Wait, what? :eh:

Was he on salary, or wages, or getting paid for completed runs? Maybe bonuses for getting runs completed on time? My point is, how much did his employer know about/encourage his fudging of the books, and should they be investigated/charged/shut down?
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 12/Jul/10 7:49am

those parking meters are expensive
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby fatwombat on Mon 19/Jul/10 4:18pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3 ... used-death
What about this one? This must be as culpable as it gets, but setting a record for light sentence. I wonder how much care the kid gets anyway if the mother is off binge drinking.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 19/Jul/10 4:27pm

fatwombat wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3932886/No-jail-for-drunk-driver-who-caused-death
What about this one? This must be as culpable as it gets, but setting a record for light sentence. I wonder how much care the kid gets anyway if the mother is off binge drinking.

To me that sentence seems fair (of course it’s terrible for Mr Lee’s wife and those who love him etc). We don’t know the mitigating factors in her life up to that point (of course they are no excuse for excess drinking much less drinking / driving :angry: ).
Things including the early guilty plea and genuine remorse will hopefully mean a lot to Mr Lee’s kin and to a lesser extent, society.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Crashed on Mon 19/Jul/10 11:01pm

Ok same crime same wepon different out come
WHY did a handbag snacher get charged and found guilty of Murder after he ran over the lady and drove off(hit &run), she was running after him to get her bag back .Maybe because he was a criminal?
WHY dont drink drivers get chraged with Murder when they kill a cyclest and drive off (hit&run)?There drunk behind the wheel which is a crime,so they to are criminals. The drunk and handbag snacher used the same weapon so WHY not the charges or outcome ?
Hand bag guy got 12 years
you all know what drunk bitch got
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 20/Jul/10 8:28am

Crashed wrote:Ok same crime same wepon different out come
WHY did a handbag snacher get charged and found guilty of Murder after he ran over the lady and drove off(hit &run), she was running after him to get her bag back .Maybe because he was a criminal?
WHY dont drink drivers get chraged with Murder when they kill a cyclest and drive off (hit&run)?There drunk behind the wheel which is a crime,so they to are criminals. The drunk and handbag snacher used the same weapon so WHY not the charges or outcome ?

It's about INTENT.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby bubbaa on Tue 20/Jul/10 10:03pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:

It's about INTENT.

but handbag guy didn't intend to kill did he? - if so I would have thought he might go a bit faster
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 20/Jul/10 10:10pm

bubbaa wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:

It's about INTENT.

but handbag guy didn't intend to kill did he? - if so I would have thought he might go a bit faster

Yeah but...he/they intended to rob and intentionally drove into her (and possibly her son) to get away.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby bubbaa on Tue 20/Jul/10 10:31pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
bubbaa wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:

It's about INTENT.

Yeah but...he/they intended to rob and intentionally drove into her (and possibly her son) to get away.

I'm bored and arguementative - sorry
Buuut
he was punished for the outcome of his actions not the intent
he was punished for killing her - even though intent to kill was clearly not present

in the cases of cars v peds/cyslist /other cars frequently/always there was never any intent to kill but always there was a law broken.

whats the diff ?

nefarious motive versus indifference in the lesser crime?

[when there is neither intent or a law broken there are no charges laid (eg relative who ran over child on a bike :( or rather child rode under his wheels )]
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Cars | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts