This Is Just Wrong

Postby Rik on Tue 24/Mar/15 9:13am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11421919

I know we have some rowers on here, and many rowers have come across to cycling. So I'd like to hear their perspective on this or anybody else's for that matter).

But to me this is just wrong.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: This Is Just Wrong

Postby znomit on Tue 24/Mar/15 10:29am

The high court???

I'd like the CAA decision not to prosecute reviewed.

Something something Gerry.
znomit

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 24/Mar/15 12:28pm

when presented the in this report it all seems quite reasonable

actually bullshit.
the kids new they could get kicked off for misbehaving and misbehaved
the warning by the police and aviation security is enough evidence of the action.

action >>consequence - unless you can afford a very expensive lawyer
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Tue 24/Mar/15 12:35pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:action >> consequence - unless you can afford a very expensive lawyer

Which is kinda my reading of the situation.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby dwgknz on Tue 24/Mar/15 12:41pm

I think there has to be some kind of allowance for teenage boys to be teenage boys.

Yes they should be punished but the punishment should be considered and fit the offence which is what the parents are saying.

Coaches shouldn't have left the kids alone in an airport knowing they could cause trouble.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:00pm

dwgknz wrote:I think there has to be some kind of allowance for teenage boys to be teenage boys.

How much allowance?

Having just traveled away with a representative team, we were ALL (no matter if you were Masters, U15, U17, accompanied or not) made to sign a extensive Code of Conduct. I'm sure that these boys would have signed similar.

Under consequences, this was said:
"if you breach any of the expectations listed above, the Centre may:
a. suspend you from competition; and/or impose a penalty or sanction;
b. withdraw you from selection in representative squads
c. withdraw you from any official event"

Pretty clear huh?
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ryda on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:02pm

dwgknz wrote:Coaches shouldn't have left the kids alone in an airport knowing they could cause trouble.
16 and 17 yr olds are old enough to know what right and wrong, even read signs....

Should they have been kicked of the team? not sure, but then they broke rules that allowed them to be!

Should the parents undermine the school Authority, definitely not.

Pretty clear message here... do what ever you want, break what ever laws you want so long as you have rich mummy and daddy.
The sad thing is pottentially the crime may one day be bad enough Daddy's lawyer may not be able to bail them out.
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby ryda on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:06pm

scatter wrote:Having just traveled away with a representative team, we were ALL (no matter if you were Masters, U15, U17, accompanied or not) made to sign a extensive Code of Conduct. I'm sure that these boys would have signed similar.

Stuff wrote:But the school said the code of conduct, which the boys and their parents signed, required them to comply with instructions, school rules and societal laws, and warned that any serious breach might lead to them being sent home.
ryda
"WTF"

Postby dwgknz on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:07pm

Stuff had the code of conduct:

ST BEDE'S COLLEGE CODE OF CONDUCT

Comply with instructions given by director of sport, coaches, managers, parents in charge and host families.
    Inform coaches of health or attendance problems.
    Respect and care for all equipment, including returning uniforms.
    Respect others and their property.
    Be correctly equipped at all times.
    Wear the St Bede's College uniform correctly and with pride.
    Ensure you are at the right place at the right time.
    Turn off cellphones during meal times, after 10pm and as requested by director of sport, managers, coaches and parents in charge.
    Keep your environment clean and tidy.
    Respect yourself and your training programme. Alcohol, drugs or cigarettes are not permitted.
    Abide by all school and societal rules and laws.

"Any serious breach of this code of conduct will result in you being sent home/withdrawn from the team, tournament or trip at your own expense."
dwgknz

Postby dwgknz on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:13pm

ryda wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Coaches shouldn't have left the kids alone in an airport knowing they could cause trouble.
16 and 17 yr olds are old enough to know what right and wrong, even read signs....

Should they have been kicked of the team? not sure, but then they broke rules that allowed them to be!

Pretty clear message here... do what ever you want, break what ever laws you want so long as you have rich mummy and daddy.
The sad thing is pottentially the crime may one day be bad enough Daddy's lawyer may not be able to bail them out.

16 and 17 year olds are old enough to know right from wrong, but sitting on a baggage conveyor is not the kind of thing you spend a lot of time drilling into your kids. At that age you're focused on teaching them to respect other people and their choices.

The litigious parents issue is becoming a much larger part of society though so we just have to accept it, schools need to have policies and processes that protect them and allow them the ability to make measured decisions.
dwgknz

Postby ryda on Tue 24/Mar/15 1:24pm

dwgknz wrote:
ryda wrote:

16 and 17 year olds are old enough to know right from wrong, but sitting on a baggage conveyor is not the kind of thing you spend a lot of time drilling into your kids. At that age you're focused on teaching them to respect other people and their choices.

The litigious parents issue is becoming a much larger part of society though so we just have to accept it, schools need to have policies and processes that protect them and allow them the ability to make measured decisions.
open your eyes...sitting on a baggage conveyor is not the issue... if they had just ridden it around the public area they would have got bollocking and end of story
ryda
"WTF"

Postby scatter on Tue 24/Mar/15 2:31pm

dwgknz wrote:16 and 17 year olds are old enough to know right from wrong, but sitting on a baggage conveyor is not the kind of thing you spend a lot of time drilling into your kids. At that age you're focused on teaching them to respect other people and their choices.

My 4yo nephew knows not to sit on the baggage conveyor (in fact, to stay away full stop). What's a 16/17yo's excuse?
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby hpg on Tue 24/Mar/15 2:46pm

They broke the law by going through the curtain onto air side. Thats a serious breach. Perhaps they could have been facing charges. If an adult not named Brownlee, then you probably would I suspect. Shoot first would have negated this discussion. The school made a decision to stop them from competing and return home. This was a punishment for breaking the law by breaching airport security. Seems fair to me. Instead they see how things can be manipulated to suit them. I agree, this is just wrong. Roast busters anyone?
hpg
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 24/Mar/15 3:08pm

There's no excuse to what they did, but they got quickly and officially punished by way of a formal warning from the relevant authorities, Avsec and the Police, which was proportional to the offence. So absolutely nothing like Roastbusters.

But then they were given a punishment from their school that wasn't proportional to the offence (in my opinion anyway). These kids were entering into a major sporting competition that being stood down from could have a significant impact on their future in the sport. The schools decision, like any stand down period in NZ schools, is open to legal challenge so the school should have of ensured that they followed due process in applying and deciding on the punishment.

The parents are just in their view protecting their kids best interests, nothing wrong with that essentially. Better than sending them to school with no breakfast or lunch which most of NZ doesn't seem to worry about.
dwgknz

Postby ryda on Tue 24/Mar/15 3:28pm

dwgknz wrote: These kids were entering into a major sporting competition that being stood down from could have a significant impact on their future in the sport.
it's alright "League" would have signed them up pretty quick :paranoid:

dwgknz wrote:The parents are just in their view protecting their kids best interests,
if saying being a F'wit is there best interest...fine
ryda
"WTF"

Paddling | Sifting - Latest Posts