Re: This Is Just Wrong

Postby philstar on Tue 24/Mar/15 4:03pm

Rik wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11421919

I know we have some rowers on here, and many rowers have come across to cycling. So I'd like to hear their perspective on this or anybody else's for that matter).

But to me this is just wrong.

Crew mates encouraged the boys to jump on the carousel. One boy filmed their antics. The other boys were not punished.

my thoughts are the crew mates are at least as morally capable as the people who did it and the code of conduct should say " will not encourage others to break the code of conduct.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Fraser on Tue 24/Mar/15 10:23pm

Douche move by the two rowers. Just like a All black missing the plane cause you were on the piss and then lost your place on the team. This is the same beast. They have been dropped from a rowing team for a while. Not in jail
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 24/Mar/15 10:34pm

How many All Blacks had small offences swept under the carpet before getting into a regional or national squad and before one finally had a consequence placed upon them.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 25/Mar/15 3:57am

dwgknz wrote:How many All Blacks had small offences swept under the carpet before getting into a regional or national squad and before one finally had a consequence placed upon them.

Errr don't know? What are these small offences being swept under the carpet?

I would put my money on their parents taking the School to court for banning them from Maadi so they can take part won't make their chances of getting picked in a future team any better either.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 25/Mar/15 8:47am

Fraser wrote:I would put my money on their parents taking the School to court for banning them from Maadi so they can take part won't make their chances of getting picked in a future team any better either.

Unfortunately the culture in sport in NZ would never support that.

stuff wrote:Canterbury Rowing Association regional manager John Wiley said the pupils' airport antics were unlikely to affect their future rowing prospects.

"I can't mind-read for the selectors but they're a fairly level-headed group of people.

"They're very much looking for people that have to ability to move fast out on the water. It's about rowing ability, not about psychological assessment."
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 25/Mar/15 9:03am

Having taken Juniors away on competition before, and used Code of Conduct contracts, I can attest that the value in having the privilege of competing removed as a consequence of knowingly misbehaving is greater than the lost opportunity. If they are good rowers, perseverance will get them future opportunities that court actions will not. National sporting development bodies (at least in Oz) tend to be more behaviour-intolerant than schools, and the earlier they learn this, the sooner they can move on.

I think the parents and their offspring missed out on a great learning opportunity by following this path.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 25/Mar/15 9:47am

EoinC wrote:I think the parents and their offspring missed out on a great learning opportunity by following this path.

They've learned something all right - how to side-step the consequences of your actions by the application of money! Something most kids, like mine, won't have the opportunity to learn.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Wed 25/Mar/15 9:57am

Parents of kids in low decile schools should be able to apply for legal aid. It only fair.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Wed 25/Mar/15 11:06am

znomit wrote:Parents of kids in low decile schools should be able to apply for legal aid. It only fair.

I would expect them to be smarter than that.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Orphan on Wed 25/Mar/15 7:29pm

Having been an ex-NZ rep, similar to what Scatter said. Extensive rules that say you're out if you misbehave.
This current situation is utterly reprehensible. How can breaking a signed contract be overturned just because "boys will be boys"?
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 25/Mar/15 11:56pm

OliverBendix wrote:
EoinC wrote:I think the parents and their offspring missed out on a great learning opportunity by following this path.

They've learned something all right - how to side-step the consequences of your actions by the application of money! Something most kids, like mine, won't have the opportunity to learn.

Its a real gift to your children to let them learn that there are consequences to their actions. Many parents don't seem to understand that (yes - Ive got 3)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 30/Mar/15 9:52am

Seems there is some form of justice in the end:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6754436 ... -nationals

The fathers have done their boys a massive disservice here, this will follow them around for a long time. Great sledging ammo for their future competitors (if sledging exists in rowing, I don't know)
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby davidg on Mon 30/Mar/15 10:22am

davidg
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 30/Mar/15 10:43am

Kennedy told The Press he would not speak to the newspaper again if it published a story about how the boys were not listed as trialists.

sook harder champ
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 30/Mar/15 11:05am

ShoreBoy wrote:S Great sledging ammo for their future competitors (if sledging exists in rowing, I don't know)

a bit goes on in the big boats, teams, bravado and bullshit etc... small boat crews however, all the talking is done with performance. especially in the single. On the water its game on, off the water many of the small boat guys [even from different clubs ] have each others back.
I can remember sitting on the beach at the Blue lake in my first year rowing the single, yakinag away with some of the best in the world, not an ego to be seen......until the starters gun went :satan:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Paddling | Sifting - Latest Posts