Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 3:45pm

looking at a new roadie to replace my beloved colnago, have a few options but am really liking the look of a gtr carbon pro, full ultegra, nice wheels, etc etc...

any peoples have recommendations for or against these

or suggestions for different bikes
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby musket on Tue 28/Jul/09 3:49pm

Budget?
musket
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 28/Jul/09 3:57pm

musket wrote:Budget?



I think he's after a decent one :paranoid:
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:04pm

shmoodiver wrote:looking at a new roadie to replace my beloved colnago, have a few options but am really liking the look of a gtr carbon pro, full ultegra, nice wheels, etc etc...

any peoples have recommendations for or against these

or suggestions for different bikes



surely going from a colnago to a GT is like going from a ferrari to a hyundai! :crazy: plus they're ugly

how about a nice ti bike? or a master x-light? or a pegoretti?
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:31pm

danose wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:looking at a new roadie to replace my beloved colnago, have a few options but am really liking the look of a gtr carbon pro, full ultegra, nice wheels, etc etc...

any peoples have recommendations for or against these

or suggestions for different bikes



surely going from a colnago to a GT is like going from a ferrari to a hyundai! :crazy: plus they're ugly

how about a nice ti bike? or a master x-light? or a pegoretti?


budget is a new bike at staff/wholesale for what i gets for the colnago.

colnago is a 1977 master running 07 carbon chorus and 07 eurus wheels
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby musket on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:36pm

I'd stay with that - honestly. If you wanted a ride of a new carbon wonder bike for a bit, then get a deal on a frame and transfer the kit. The 07 Chorus / Eurus are still great.

If you were looking for a new frame to ride for a bit, then I'd look at a GT, or an Avanti, or an EMC, or any number of other frames.

Not much sense in selling the current bike to downgrade to Ultegra and shitty wheels.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:48pm

yeah i thought about that but nobody has any frames in a 54/55 the colnago is a beautiful ride but it is a bit of a slug up the hills... my ironhorse feels like a rocketship compared, need something stiff to handle the power of shmoo
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby musket on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:50pm

Well, keep the existing wheels for sure. Any wheels you'll get on a new bike will be sloppy compared. The 07 Eurus were great wheels.

What brands does your shop stock?
musket
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:55pm

we can get anything, all the wholy's love us. don't actually stock any bikes tho.

could buy a complete and do the big swapsies but if that backfires then i'd be in the pooooooooo
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:55pm

shmoodiver wrote:colnago is a 1977 master running 07 carbon chorus and 07 eurus wheels


so replace a bonafide classic with third-rate junk? :crazy:

if it ain't broke....
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jul/09 4:58pm

shmoodiver wrote:yeah i thought about that but nobody has any frames in a 54/55 the colnago is a beautiful ride but it is a bit of a slug up the hills...


the problem ain't the bike - new bike won't make sod all difference, laying off the pies and getting some decent fitness however will make a huge difference

mate I ride with is on an olde schoole carlton - has no prob hanging with the guys on their weight weenie bikes (and he's even older than me - he's just fit and tough)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 5:01pm

danose wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:colnago is a 1977 master running 07 carbon chorus and 07 eurus wheels


so replace a bonafide classic with third-rate junk? :crazy:

if it ain't broke....


but it is danose, it's flexy as fuck.

ok for a whippet but put a couple of thousand watts through it and it turns pearshape pretty quick.

like i said before, my ironhouse (853 reynolds) is heaps stiffer and feels like a rocketship to me.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jul/09 5:22pm

shmoodiver wrote:ok for a whippet but put a couple of thousand watts through it and it turns pearshape pretty quick.

like i said before, my ironhouse (853 reynolds) is heaps stiffer and feels like a rocketship to me.



sounds to me like you need to work on your pedalling technique - if it was good enough for merckx it's good enough for you
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby Chickenman on Tue 28/Jul/09 5:26pm

danose wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:ok for a whippet but put a couple of thousand watts through it and it turns pearshape pretty quick.

like i said before, my ironhouse (853 reynolds) is heaps stiffer and feels like a rocketship to me.



sounds to me like you need to work on your pedalling technique - if it was good enough for merckx it's good enough for you


Nah porn detective turns tarmac into gravel!
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Thinkin Bout A New Roadie

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 28/Jul/09 5:28pm

danose wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:ok for a whippet but put a couple of thousand watts through it and it turns pearshape pretty quick.

like i said before, my ironhouse (853 reynolds) is heaps stiffer and feels like a rocketship to me.



sounds to me like you need to work on your pedalling technique - if it was good enough for merckx it's good enough for you



so you're saying merckx would be just as fast on a bike made in 77 as a modern light weight carbon bike?

thats just fuckin backwards
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Cycling | Post Your Bike | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts

Who is online

74 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 72 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop