Re: Think You Have A Food Allergy? You Probably Don't

Postby scatter on Thu 20/May/10 3:26pm

bubbaa wrote:hair split but i think palatability or not and nutritionally benefit or not don't really count as a cause of "intolerance" . Digestability/ indigestibility definitely are about intolerance - example "FODMAPS". Allergy must be an immune mediated (eg gluten sensitive enteropathy) reaction by definition and many/most food reactions won't be immune mediated therefore are intolerances or something else.
Howerer I suspect that the majority of "allergics" out there are self diagnosed or diagnosed by someone without a robust diagnostic process or testing.
I reckon eating well is essential to good health and the poorly planned and managed withdrawl of major food groups on the basis of symptomatology without any diagnostic approach is truely throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Probably people need to eat less and better, drink less booze, exercise more, manage stress and understand that life can be pretty shitty at times and expecting to feel fantastic the whole time is silly.
Like the financial people say - If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. If simplistic models and manipulation of diet sound to good to be true - they probably are
RANT OVER. biking now
before the wave of vorb abuse starts - yes I know here are genuine intolerances and allergies - I wasn't talking about any individual in particular - dont take it personally :butbut:

Amen :) You just said all I would want to say on the matter.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby neels on Thu 20/May/10 3:31pm

bubbaa wrote:drink less booze

Now you're just being silly.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby dəRosa on Thu 20/May/10 4:50pm

bubbaa wrote:hair split but i think palatability or not and nutritionally benefit or not don't really count as a cause of "intolerance" . Digestability/ indigestibility definitely are about intolerance

My point was, there's a spectrum of effect. Celiacs (gluten intolerant) are between 0.5 and 1 percent of the population in the States - one end of the spectrum maybe. On the other hand, I can eat a few slices of a loaf of standard white or wholemeal bread and find it makes me feel bloated and sluggish. I'm not intolerant, but I'm also not alone in finding these kinds of run-of-the-mill breads to be less readily digestible than other kinds of bread.
dəRosa
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby dəRosa on Thu 20/May/10 4:52pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Hippy.

It's true that I do own at least one hemp hat.
dəRosa
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby bubbaa on Thu 20/May/10 7:16pm

neels wrote:
bubbaa wrote:drink less booze

Now you're just being silly.

woops my mistake

drink less more booze :blink:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby bubbaa on Fri 21/May/10 9:30pm

dəRosa wrote:
bubbaa wrote:hair split but i think palatability or not and nutritionally benefit or not don't really count as a cause of "intolerance" . Digestability/ indigestibility definitely are about intolerance

My point was, there's a spectrum of effect. Celiacs (gluten intolerant) are between 0.5 and 1 percent of the population in the States - one end of the spectrum maybe. On the other hand, I can eat a few slices of a loaf of standard white or wholemeal bread and find it makes me feel bloated and sluggish. I'm not intolerant, but I'm also not alone in finding these kinds of run-of-the-mill breads to be less readily digestible than other kinds of bread.

My point is that if you haven't been through a robust diagnostic process you don't know if your problem is even in the same spectrum as Coeliac disease . Coeliac is an immune mediated condition, it does not necessarily follow at all that someone who feels like you do after bread has an immune mediated disease ie the same spectrum. Without further details and testing it is speculation to suggest it is gluten sensitivity that is the problem. I'm afraid there are a large number of people taking this speculation as fact (for themselves) about gluten and many other food sensitivities and intolerances and then removing foods and even whole food groups from their diets. This is potentially dangerous to their health longterm through either nutritional inadequacy (eg osteopenia or osteoporosis) or failure to diagnose accurately and manage properly may result in increased risk of complication eg lymphoma in Coeliac diease.
Unfortunately it almost seems to have become fashionable to have a food intolerance, a trend which is supported by a plethora of poorly trained "nutritionists" who have a tendency to diagnose allergy/intolerance at the first symptom and recommend removal of multiple foods immediately. The consequences to the individual have the potential to be quite serious.
I'd re-iterate that anyone with suspicion of food intolerance/allergy needs a robust diagnostic process before embarking on treatment or food exclusion. :)
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Demo on Fri 21/May/10 10:01pm

Allergy is defined as;

al·ler·gy
   /ˈælərdʒi/ Show Spelled[al-er-jee] Show IPA
–noun,plural-gies.
an abnormal reaction of the body to a previously encountered allergen introduced by inhalation, ingestion, injection, or skin contact, often manifested by itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing, skin rash, or diarrhea.
hypersensitivity to the reintroduction of an allergen.Compare anaphylaxis.
Informal. a strong dislike or aversion, as toward a person or activity: He has an allergy to hard work.

What some call an intolerance is actually ignorance. I have several allergies. Being diagnosed by a professional third party and learning what I am allergic too has allowed me to navigate the culinary highway a lot easier.
Demo
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts