Re: Things I Hate.

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 5th Nov 8:24am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Wow people actually use those?

And the little steel Rotor safety plates too, he's running belt and braces.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Mon 5th Nov 8:37am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Wow people actually use those?

And the little steel Rotor safety plates too, he's running belt and braces.

But as yet, I've never had a rotor or a caliper just fall off. Really don't know how you guys can sleep at night - such renegades flying in the face of safety like that.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5th Nov 9:06am

Haha I've never had a caliper fall off.
If does come loose it's usually the bolt attaching the adaptor to the frame.
Those things don't work on my stainless hardware either ;)
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Mon 5th Nov 9:18am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Haha I've never had a caliper fall off.
If does come loose it's usually the bolt attaching the adaptor to the frame.
Those things don't work on my stainless hardware either ;)

I was being extra sarcastic about stuff falling off.

However, I must say I was impressed with the single bolt lever clamp hinge locking mechanism (needing to press a small recessed release before the hinge will open fully).
Not sure of the ultimate intent, but it was quite handy for just clipping the lever to the bar during install without faffing with the bolt - and I guess if there was to be a (highly unlikely) catastrophic bolt failure then the lever won't part company from the bars.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5th Nov 4:27pm

Only thing that would make it better is having a captive clamp bolt.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby AgrAde on Mon 5th Nov 5:27pm

I hate that feature. Anything where additional tools are required is bullshit. I should be able to install or remove a shimano brake with a 5mm allen key and nothing else. But nope I need a 4mm, 5mm and a pin or small allen key to open the damn clamp. And then a torx bit to install the rotor.
If I didn't need four tools to install the thing, then I wouldn't need to juggle the damn tools and so I'd be right there with the right allen key to nip the bolt up and wouldn't require the locking clamp at all.

Almost as bad as pivot hardware that has the same sized allen head on both sides. How about letting me tighten my pivots without requiring two sets of allen keys? My YT Tues was the worst for this, which required two T55 torx tools. I loved buying half inch drive bits for the stupid aluminium caps that wanted a grand total of 12Nm of torque...
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Mon 5th Nov 6:31pm

AgrAde wrote:Almost as bad as pivot hardware that has the same sized allen head on both sides. How about letting me tighten my pivots without requiring two sets of allen keys? My YT Tues was the worst for this, which required two T55 torx tools. I loved buying half inch drive bits for the stupid aluminium caps that wanted a grand total of 12Nm of torque...

I’m with you on that one - stripped all my pivots yesterday and cursed the same sized allen heads on each side of my Trance. I mean we’ve all got spare Allen keys lying around, but the first world problem of needing to find one is pretty painful. Not quite as bad as needing two Torx’s though :satan:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5th Nov 6:38pm

Wait, you don't just use your multitool for the other side?
Then swap it out for the torque wrench for proper tightness?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 5th Nov 7:01pm

Proper Bondhus allen on one side, torque wrench with bit on the other... Multi tool takes bits anyway.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby AgrAde on Mon 5th Nov 7:33pm

Multitools are not for garage use. I could fish it out of my pack but I'd rather have something that doesn't suck.

Torque wrenches are overrated and torque ratings are mostly worthless. I wonder if Shimano have changed their torque rating on their rotor bolts since last time I read the manual, where the rated torque didn't even get the bolt head to the rotor because of the preapplied loctite.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5th Nov 9:01pm

Protip: get a multitool that doesn't suck.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby Conners on Mon 5th Nov 10:27pm

Selection of real Allen keys live in my bag, the only thing that gets used on my multi tool is the chain breaker.

No torque wrench either, I go with the “good and firm feel is tight enough” theory.
But I don’t have anything carbon...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Sifting - Latest Posts