Re: Things I Hate.

Postby Conners on Tue 14/Nov/17 9:59pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Where did you find a downhill+bikes only track in this town?
Or do you mean a "bikes priority" + "we'd rather you didn't go up this one please" track?

IMG_5603 - Copy.JPG
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Nathan007 on Tue 14/Nov/17 10:29pm

Had a similar issue on this track a few weeks ago. I caught up to a guy running down the track listening to music and had to sit and ride behind him for a while before I could get his attention to let me passed. He would have gone passed that sign.
Nathan007
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 14/Nov/17 11:20pm

HCC huh? Who knew?
The WCC won't ban walkers on any track on council land. (AFAIK)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Wed 15/Nov/17 1:35am

Conners wrote:
I hate a muppet walking where he shouldn’t be with headphones on and music too loud.

The comparison to driving faster if there was a man waving a flag for a crashed car is flawed.
A more relevant comparison would be rounding a blind corner on the motorway at 100km/h and finding someone not only stoped in the middle of the road - but actually approaching you at 25km/h. Would you expect that? Would you be able to stop? Would you?

sorry my comment was not a criticism of hating on the walker (hate away, but use that hate to check id there is a sign at the bottom and get the council to put one there if not), more a comment on the inherent problem or riding at (near) race speed without race conditions. and I am not advocating not riding at fun speeds just commenting on the inherent risks and the nativity of some riding codes

there are a fare few comers in 100km zones that are not safe to do 100 around, but would be safe to go faster under race conditions, which is the comparison I was trying to make.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Wed 15/Nov/17 12:32pm

philstar wrote:but use that hate to check id there is a sign at the bottom and get the council to put one there if not

This is a valid point - I really should investigate the exit. And given there are a couple of ways people could get into the track then I'm picking there is a possibility its not fully signed.

philstar wrote:riding at (near) race speed without race conditions. and I am not advocating not riding at fun speeds just commenting on the inherent risks and the nativity of some riding codes

To be fair "race speeds" for me are not that fast :lol:
But definitely faster than what would be required if a controlled stop possible within line of sight at all times. Definitely in the "fun speeds" range.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 15/Nov/17 2:37pm

UK_Exile wrote:https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98894073/government-will-absolutely-ensure-gst-is-paid-on-internet-shopping-purchases

It's been on the cards for years but no ones come up with a mechanism to achieve it.

Can't see it being any different now.

There's too many moving parts:
- the $50 entry fee and MPI levy is unsustainable on low value items
- the cost of setting up a system is too high
- the delay and dwell time that gets placed on the postage system will crush things
- the physical inspection service needed
- the space required to hold items awaiting payment would be massive
- the management of bad debts and returns would be complex and massive
- the projected impact on volumes if they do it could nullify the need
- protectionism in the days of free trade agreements
- the impact on Joe citizen
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Wed 15/Nov/17 3:50pm

dwgknz wrote:
UK_Exile wrote:https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98894073/government-will-absolutely-ensure-gst-is-paid-on-internet-shopping-purchases

It's been on the cards for years but no ones come up with a mechanism to achieve it.

Can't see it being any different now.

There's too many moving parts:
- the $50 entry fee and MPI levy is unsustainable on low value items
- the cost of setting up a system is too high
- the delay and dwell time that gets placed on the postage system will crush things
- the physical inspection service needed
- the space required to hold items awaiting payment would be massive
- the management of bad debts and returns would be complex and massive
- the projected impact on volumes if they do it could nullify the need
- protectionism in the days of free trade agreements
- the impact on Joe citizen

Foreign companies that sell more than A$75,000 (NZ$83,000) of goods to Australians each year will have to collect GST on those sales from July next year

seems reasonable achievable, what to do if they don't, is the problem. if you can identify where packages are from then you can say "if you don't we will impose the tax and a $50 fee"

you can't call it "protectionism in the days of free trade agreements" that is nonsensical
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby LaniH on Thu 16/Nov/17 10:41am

I hate when I go to swim in the pool and there is a lot of people :D
LaniH
Member for: 1 year 1 month

Postby 13daza on Fri 17/Nov/17 9:10pm

Waiting at the start /finish line of a TT on Thursday night when a car comes past with a kid about 11-12 hanging out the passenger window screaming "get off the fucking road ya filthy maggots" to the departing rider (who happened to be in a cycle lane) obviously got stellar role models coaching him through life
13daza
Member for: 4 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 9/Dec/17 2:18pm

troy lee xc gloves changing fit with generations, the sprint gloves have the same problem on my hand, too tight around the pinky/next finger over gap. Tried 2 different size of the xc and its either too tight overall or tight in that spot and loose everywhere else

i dont want to try and find new gloves :(
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 9/Dec/17 5:44pm

Wobbler wrote:troy lee xc gloves changing fit with generations, the sprint gloves have the same problem on my hand, too tight around the pinky/next finger over gap. Tried 2 different size of the xc and its either too tight overall or tight in that spot and loose everywhere else

Boo! Those are my go-to reliable. I hope the spare pair I got last crc order still fit right.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 9/Dec/17 8:17pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Wobbler wrote:troy lee xc gloves changing fit with generations, the sprint gloves have the same problem on my hand, too tight around the pinky/next finger over gap. Tried 2 different size of the xc and its either too tight overall or tight in that spot and loose everywhere else

Boo! Those are my go-to reliable. I hope the spare pair I got last crc order still fit right.

The airs seem to fit closer to the old xc, not my gloves preference but I tried a bunch of options today and they were all pretty zzzzy
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby el_booto on Sun 10/Dec/17 5:40pm

Wobbler wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

The airs seem to fit closer to the old xc, not my gloves preference but I tried a bunch of options today and they were all pretty zzzzy

i crossed over from the XC to the ace, no diff in sizing
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 11/Dec/17 6:17am

What size are you after? I’ve got a spare pair of Medium in Black that didn’t fit. Went back to
Large. (Also got a spare pair of those because CRC replaced the pair I’m wearing a season ago because some stitching came loose but I’ll keep those)
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Sifting - Latest Posts