Re: Things I Hate.

Postby dwgknz on Fri 8th Sep 11:19am

EoinC wrote: If you can't count the number of freckles on the back of the neck of the driver in front, another driver, whose freckles you can count, will insert their vehicle into the copious waste space you have created in front.

There's no different on the morning commute into Wellington. Apart from the cunzors with the Moses lights who put their indicators on then drive into spaces that don't exists.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 13th Sep 10:30pm

Straight pull hubs with 2different flange heights per flange....
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Slapheid on Thu 14th Sep 9:51pm

Last edited by Slapheid on Tue 19th Sep 2:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby EoinC on Tue 19th Sep 8:16am

dwgknz wrote:
EoinC wrote: If you can't count the number of freckles on the back of the neck of the driver in front, another driver, whose freckles you can count, will insert their vehicle into the copious waste space you have created in front.

There's no different on the morning commute into Wellington. Apart from the cunzors with the Moses lights who put their indicators on then drive into spaces that don't exists.

Having spent my fair share of time communting in both Wellington and Kuala Lumpur, I can verify that there is a difference - In KL the freckle-counting distance is applied whether traffic is traveling at 5kph, or 140kph.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 3rd Oct 12:46pm

Having to hear the sound of dry, lube-less chains on some fellow commuters bicycles - seriously folks is friction & lubrication so hard to understand? The (young-ish) guy in front of me today on a poorly maintained Merida hardtail could barely crank the thing along, and fingernails on a blackboard would have made a less distressing sound .....
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 3rd Oct 9:22pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:Having to hear the sound of dry, lube-less chains on some fellow commuters bicycles - seriously folks is friction & lubrication so hard to understand? The (young-ish) guy in front of me today on a poorly maintained Merida hardtail could barely crank the thing along, and fingernails on a blackboard would have made a less distressing sound .....

Watching the school trythlon with kids struggling on bikes with saddles 6 inches too low, and the real unlucky ones also with this :withstupid:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 4th Oct 1:14pm

mfw wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:Having to hear the sound of dry, lube-less chains on some fellow commuters bicycles - seriously folks is friction & lubrication so hard to understand? The (young-ish) guy in front of me today on a poorly maintained Merida hardtail could barely crank the thing along, and fingernails on a blackboard would have made a less distressing sound .....

Watching the school trythlon with kids struggling on bikes with saddles 6 inches too low, and the real unlucky ones also with this :withstupid:

and flat tires! people riding their bikes through town, rusty squarking chains and flat tires... no wonder they hate biking anywhere. it isnt rocket science. tires, pumped up + chain, oiled = easy cycling.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby 13daza on Thu 5th Oct 6:27pm

I hate hiccups .... had op on my shoulder last week there were complications due to previous old injuries and op took a while longer which meant I got a hefty dose of morphine ,it was slighty confusing waking up in room attached to all sorts of machinery and a breathing bag with someone telling me to breathe as that was not the plan discussed pre op but got past that pretty quick, felt great for a few hours ...... then the hiccups started ,12 hrs later they finally abated ,apparently a side affect of the horse sized dose of morphine I got .
Bloody nurses labelled me the hiccup monster after finding me shuffling round the ward at 3am Hic.....Hic .
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 5th Oct 7:28pm

local suppliers that take a week to deliver. If I wanted to wait I could have bought overseas and probably for less.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 6th Oct 9:22am

13daza wrote:I hate hiccups ....
Bloody nurses labelled me the hiccup monster after finding me shuffling round the ward at 3am Hic.....Hic .

swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Monday 8:13pm

Meeting a walker on a downhill only mountain bike track.
Not only walking uphill, but with earbuds on at such high volume that I could hear the music from five metres away when I’d finished yelling at him.

Thank fuck he wasn’t 30 seconds further up the track, would’ve hit him at warp speed on a blind corner :crazy: :angry:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Monday 10:57pm

Where did you find a downhill+bikes only track in this town?
Or do you mean a "bikes priority" + "we'd rather you didn't go up this one please" track?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Tuesday 9:44am

Superplus.
Pretty specific sign at the top, (which of course I can't find a photo of just now) which states "Downhill only, no walkers". A council sign too - not an ice cream led with vivid writing on it.
Not sure that the same signage exists at the bottom though - one would hope so given that is where it would be most useful.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't ride within our limits and be ready to stop at a moments notice, but we all know that's not possible on a lot of tracks if you are to carry any kind of speed. and a sign like the one is there very much tells me I shouldn't expect to see anyone walking in my direction.

It also would be a very unenjoyable track to walk up, and the use of headphones at high volume is the bit that really tipped me over the edge.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby philstar on Tuesday 12:34pm

Conners wrote:I'm not arguing that we shouldn't ride within our limits and be ready to stop at a moments notice, but we all know that's not possible on a lot of tracks if you are to carry any kind of speed. and a sign like the one is there very much tells me I shouldn't expect to see anyone walking in my direction.

what about a crashed rider ? or is running over someone who is injured something we willing to accept? Its like the comparison that we would be able to drive on the roads much faster if there was a man on the corner with a yellow flag like motor sport. but if we did mountain biking would not be as fun? would it be possible to build an ap that warned people of crashed riders, you would probably need to be on the same wifi network. i guss it is not that common as people tend to bounce out of blind corners when they crash
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Tuesday 9:42pm

I don’t hate a crashed rider.
I would feel empathy for a crashed rider.
I would hate crashing into a crashed rider.
The crashed rider could have been me.
I really relate to that guy.

I hate a muppet walking where he shouldn’t be with headphones on and music too loud.
I can’t relate to that guy.
That guy couldn’t have been me.
While I may chcoose to ride my bike with semi reckless abandon down a track marked as downhill only + no walkers, I don’t choose to do things which are completely fucking stupid.

The comparison to driving faster if there was a man waving a flag for a crashed car is flawed.
A more relevant comparison would be rounding a blind corner on the motorway at 100km/h and finding someone not only stoped in the middle of the road - but actually approaching you at 25km/h. Would you expect that? Would you be able to stop? Would you?

Because I can think of a fair few motorway blind corners that we all round at 100k (including when being followed by a police car) with no way of stopping if there was an oncoming vehicle in our lane.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Sifting - Latest Posts