Re: Things I Hate.

Postby philstar on Wed 9th Aug 1:18pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Other Aucklanders jumping up and down to whinge about the traffic.
You live in Auckland. Deal with it. Or move.

:withstupid:

depends what they are complaining about though, roads 100% with you, but too many people (we could do with a few less poms and chefs), and not enough affordable HD housing close to work (people need to be willing to give up the back yard)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby beater32 on Fri 11th Aug 9:42am

The look of the new Kona Process..
beater32
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby 13daza on Sat 12th Aug 1:23pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Other Aucklanders jumping up and down to whinge about the traffic.

My wife and I hated the traffic in Auckland,we also hated not being able to afford a house ,our jobs ,and other things ...... we moved ,life is good the end
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 12th Aug 1:43pm

beater32 wrote:The look of the new Kona Process..

Luckily you don't have to buy one.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby beater32 on Sat 12th Aug 2:23pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

Yeah but I was going too!
beater32

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 12th Aug 3:06pm

beater32 wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

Then get an old one!
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby beater32 on Sat 12th Aug 4:05pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
beater32 wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

Then get an old one!

I do!
beater32

Postby dwgknz on Sat 12th Aug 6:35pm

I like it

dwgknz

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 12th Aug 6:39pm

beater32 wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:
beater32 wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

Then get an old one!

I do!

Or get one of the other very similar, also great bikes from another company...

Is anyone enough of a Kona fanboy to not look at alternatives? I know some brands get that kind of loyalty, but didn't imagine Kona was up there.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby catmannz on Tue 15th Aug 8:05pm

They can't move.

Too much traffic :p
catmannz
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 16th Aug 5:00pm

dwgknz

Postby mudguard on Wed 16th Aug 6:22pm

dwgknz wrote:Commercial deals getting in the way of sport.

https://pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html

I read the article and the rebuttal in the comments. And I honestly don't know where I stand on this.

On the one hand you have the Swedish Cycling Federation who presumably provide grass roots support, puts on races, sends junior teams to events etc, and have signed an agreement with POC, who's money will go towards to the previously mentioned activities, but in return want worlds riders to wear their kit.

And on the other hand, you have a professional athlete, who I assume enjoyed the benefits of the Swedish Cycling Federation in order to become a professional (she may have done so independently, I don't know) and has signed professional contracts which mean she can only use certain equipment.

So does becoming a pro rule you out of the world champs? That's essentially what has happened. Or should national bodies turn down funding offers in order to get professionals to race?

It's all very messy. The only parallel I can draw on is in professional golf. While you're an amatuer you can get enormous help from the national body. But the instant you turn pro, you're on your own.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby EoinC on Thu 17th Aug 8:05am

Contractually, it is quite simple. It is at will. A contract is being offered by the party that has the rights for selection. I disagree with the statement in the article that Swedish Cycling's position is illegal due to asking someone to violate their contract - Jenny is being told the condition of another contract. Whether she negotiates a waiver from either contracting party, acts without a waiver, or chooses to stick with her existing contract is up to her.
It may not be ideal, but it's not that different to anyonelse's employment contract crossover negotiations.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby NzidaR on Thu 17th Aug 6:16pm

As said its all a big mess that doesn't really seem to have any winners (and appears to have been brewing for a while). Core of the issue is the deal between POC and Swedish Cycling which states: "The cycle disciplines which will now wear helmets, apparel, glasses and armor from POC when they represent Sweden at international competitions will be road, track, BMX, Cyclocross, Mountain Bike, Trial and Para Cycling.'' Traditionally (at least on MTB side of things) riders only have to wear their national kit (Jersey/Bibs or Skinsuit) and that is accepted by the pro teams.

I see POC themselves put out a statement (not surprising considering they're indirectly being dragged into this).

http://news.pocsports.com/2017/08/16/poc-position-on-swedish-athlete-jenny-rissveds-not-attending-the-world-championships-in-cairns-australia/

With a bit over a fortnight to Worlds who knows what'll end up happening.
NzidaR
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Fri 18th Aug 1:18pm

NzidaR wrote:I see POC themselves put out a statement (not surprising considering they're indirectly being dragged into this).

they are at the centre Along with an sponsor that is refusing to let their (sponsored) riders ride under other kit. both companies want the advertising they believe they have paid for. if you want to race fir national teams, make sure your team sponsorship allows, or get a pre arranged exemption from national body before signing.

UCI could solver this problem by making some rulings (ie, world champs and are to be raced under national kit, simular to rule 40 in Olympics)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Sifting - Latest Posts