Re: If There Is A Crash In This Situation, Who Is In The Fault?

Postby Conners on Mon 27th Feb 2:04pm

Wait, you're saying this was all a hypothetical question?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 27th Feb 2:24pm

supernovah wrote:Lol at people telling me I had a scare and came here for affirmation. It never happened, I was wondering. My brain wonders, hopefully yours do too.

supernovah wrote:I wasn't hit but the driver yelled at me and I thought I'd done nothing wrong.

yeah, whatever.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Fraser on Sat 11th Mar 2:25am

Oh for fks sake this never happened?

Next week on "Just say Know" we will be discussing rape and sexual assault law for people who have never been in the situation but would like to speak about it with more confidence in the future to others.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 16th Mar 9:58am

So what is the situation with 'courtesy crossings', which seem to create a semi-pedestrianised area?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/9043867 ... heim-safer

most of the comments seem to imply a belief that cars have right of way (and at least one uses they 'we pay taxes' argument. Some also appear to claim that pedestrians also have a legal responsibility to look and wait before crossing, even on a zebra crossing, as oppoosed to drivers needing to observe that someone is approaching the crossing and slwoing down. Most the upvoters seem to support this opinion (also good to see a bit of cycle bashing gets in there as usual :rolleyes: )

I always thought pedestrians have right of way. You can't just run them down just because they have stepped on to the road
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 16th Mar 12:01pm

We have them at Paraparaumu Beach in 30km zone. Essentially they're there for traffic calming but people use them to cross so it makes a very messy situation. There's one raised crossing with no zebra crossing. Then 3 zebra crossings within 100m....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby neels on Thu 16th Mar 1:12pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:So what is the situation with 'courtesy crossings', which seem to create a semi-pedestrianised area?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/9043867 ... heim-safer

most of the comments seem to imply a belief that cars have right of way (and at least one uses they 'we pay taxes' argument. Some also appear to claim that pedestrians also have a legal responsibility to look and wait before crossing, even on a zebra crossing, as oppoosed to drivers needing to observe that someone is approaching the crossing and slwoing down. Most the upvoters seem to support this opinion (also good to see a bit of cycle bashing gets in there as usual :rolleyes: )

I always thought pedestrians have right of way. You can't just run them down just because they have stepped on to the road

The subject of the article is a weird blenheim thing, the council built them to make the town centre more pedestrian friendly, but they're not legally pedestrian crossings and are not marked as such.

The locals in cars were doing their best to run over aimless wandering pedestrians when I lived there 20 years ago, my understanding was that pedestrians had no legal rights on the crossings and car drivers were only obliged to make their best effort not to kill them.

I wonder if things have got worse since the advent of the smartphone, and people are even more oblivious of their surroundings.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 16th Mar 2:20pm

there are a few in Wellington, such as by the z station on Featherstone St. Raised foorpaths that seem to continue from the footpath, across the roads. Some drivers treat them like roads, but then some drivers treat the entrance to the z station across the fototpath as their right of way.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby 13daza on Thu 16th Mar 9:58pm

They have these tight down the main shopping street here in Masterton ,all the locals stop and treat them as a pedestrian crossing when people walk out onto them. The only ones who seem to have an issue with them are visitors or recent immigrants from cities like Auckland and Wellington ,in saying that pedestrians here just walk out onto proper pedestrian crossings and these courtesy crossings without looking anyway,I have been astounded at some of the close calls Ive seen from people stepping out in front of cars and trucks they wouldn't last more than ten minutes in downtown Auckland.
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Cycling - Latest Posts