The World's Fastest Human-powered Vehicle Just Topped 85 Mph

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Sat 19/Sep/15 11:53pm

It might look like a kayak on its side, but that vehicle above has just broken the human-powered land speed record. The pilot, Todd Reichert, managed 85.71mph (139.74kph) in his "Eta" speedbike on Thursday morning, comfortably besting the previous record of 83.13. Reichert is the pilot for team AeroVelo, and is competing in the World Human Powered Speed Challenge, taking place in Battle Mountain, NV this week. The WHPSC is basically where cyclists put their knees where their mouth is, and attempt to beat the record for pedal-powered speed. The 16th event of its kind, cyclists have a 5-mile run-up to gain speed, before hitting a 200 meter speed trap on a stretch of road hand-picked for its flatness. The magic 200 meter stretch was even specially repaved with the annual event in mind.

If you were to describe what the team at AeroVelo does, "human-powered world firsts" would be a fair answer. The team's Snowbird ornithopter (flapping wing craft) managed a world-first 19-second self sustained flight in 2010. In 2013, the crew would bag the coveted Sikorsky prize, which required a controlled human-powered helicopter to fly for one minute. The land speed record, therefore, was the next logical prize. The record may have been broken, but with the event running for two more days, Reichert and the other competitors aren't done yet -- there's still chance it might be broken again before the weekend is out. In the meantime, you can see the team's efforts from last year below.

aerovelorecordjt.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: The World's Fastest Human-powered Vehicle Just Topped 85 Mph

Postby 13daza on Sun 20/Sep/15 10:23pm

Anyone know what the current records for NZ are ..... could be an interesting project for some enterprising kiwis
13daza
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Mon 21/Sep/15 10:26am

13daza wrote:Anyone know what the current records for NZ are ..... could be an interesting project for some enterprising kiwis

That is the first thing I pondered when they mentioned the road used. I got to thinking "Hmm Canterbury has a few very long, very flat, straight roads"

Google returns nothing relevant for "new zealand human powered land speed record".
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby OliverBendix on Mon 21/Sep/15 10:54am

I got to thinking "Hmm Canterbury has a few very long, very flat, straight roads"

And an engineering school...
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 24/Sep/15 6:54am

I once did 70 down Rapaki with a tail wind - does that count?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Thu 24/Sep/15 7:34am

RHR_Rob wrote:I once did 70 down Rapaki with a tail wind - does that count?

Depends, What was your two-way average? :sly:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 24/Sep/15 9:31am

Rik wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:I once did 70 down Rapaki with a tail wind - does that count?

Depends, What was your two-way average? :sly:

Hmm, I've gone over 65 down Ngauranga on 26" knobblies on a SS, but the 2-way could ruin that slightly too.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling | News - Latest Posts