Calendar Event: October 10, 2009

The Wildcoaster

Postby AJ123 on Tue 26/May/09 3:55pm

October 10th 2009
Cycle the stunning Coastal Highway from Greymouth to Westport. 109km.
Ride solo or team up with a mate and share the distance (changeover at Punakaiki).
Online entry will open soon.
See http://www.nelsonevents.co.nz for more details.
AJ123
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: The Wildcoaster

Postby chchbob on Tue 26/May/09 5:10pm

Can you promise better weather than last year !!!!!! :lol: :lol:
chchbob
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby AJ123 on Wed 27/May/09 9:03am

Working on it ...... at least it can't get any worse? Or could it?
AJ123

Postby AJ123 on Tue 2/Jun/09 10:34am

Online entries are now open - go to https://regonline.activeglobal.com/wildcoaster09 to enter now!
AJ123

Postby RJM on Tue 2/Jun/09 12:37pm

Hope you get a few North Islanders down there for this - it makes 'anything' we have up here lame by comparsion.
RJM
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby 84millsy on Tue 2/Jun/09 6:11pm

chchbob wrote:Can you promise better weather than last year !!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Just looking a the times from last year wondering what the hell the story was compared with 07. I guess the weather played a part huh? :satan:

Anybody going from chch to do this? I'm considering it if anyone down the track wants to share a car (obviously a while away but I have to organize months in advance if I half any hope of getting away).
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby tony_11 on Tue 2/Jun/09 7:27pm

RJM wrote:Hope you get a few North Islanders down there for this - it makes 'anything' we have up here lame by comparsion.
84millsy wrote:
chchbob wrote:Can you promise better weather than last year !!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Just looking a the times from last year wondering what the hell the story was compared with 07. I guess the weather played a part huh? :satan:

Anybody going from chch to do this? I'm considering it if anyone down the track wants to share a car (obviously a while away but I have to organize months in advance if I half any hope of getting away).

I did this event last year and the conditions were the worst I've ever ridden in.. Closer to home i would have pulled the pin.. One or two did pull the pin after signing on.

We were getting our safety brief in the confines of a rugby grandstand while the horizontal rain lashed the park and lightning struck the hills overhead. Probably a good reason why the times were so down on the previous year..
tony_11
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby AJ123 on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:10pm

Calling all previous WildCoasters ... if you did the event in 2007 or 2008 and are coming back for 2009 then get yourself a free event t-shirt by introducing a new rider. See the event website for more details. Cool design, and this year on a light blue tee.
AJ123

Postby tony_11 on Tue 9/Jun/09 8:24pm

What if we have ridden 2008 and bring a team?
tony_11

Postby AJ123 on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:17pm

Not sure what the question is ... I'm sure we can work something out though. Email admin@nelsonevents.co.nz when you enter, and if you introduce a new relay team at the same time (ie two new riders to the event) then we will give you an event t-shirt. Is that what you mean?
AJ123

Postby AJ123 on Wed 17/Jun/09 12:03pm

Get on your bike for a wicked ride

Circle Saturday October 10th in your road cycling diary now. Why? Because the rugged wilderness of the South Island’s West Coast beckons and will be out ot welcome you in the 3rd WildCoaster.

The 109km route from Greymouth to Westport presents the most superb scenery – reason why it was voted one of the top ten tourist drives in the world by both Lonely Planet and Rough Guides. So don’t deny yourself the opportunity to be on the 2009 startline and along the journey be ‘pedalling for a purpose’ supporting St John West Coast.

Leaving Greymouth you proceed through the coalmining towns of Runanga and Rapahoe, then onto Barrytown, once a hive of industry and reputed to have boasted a population of around 10,000 during it’s 1860 gold days.

Next is Punakaiki – ‘the Bay of Good Food’ – best known for the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. But it is also the centre of the Paparoa National Park, 30,000 hectares of varied landscape from lush native rainforest to rugged, wild beaches. Flora feature though is the Nikau (Rhapalostylis Sapida) – ‘barren coconut’ – New Zealand’s only palm which can grow up to 10metres, sometimes more, producing bright red fruits which are very popular with Kereru (Wood Pigeons). The township is also relay point changeover for those wanting to split the distance, first rider having 43km to pedal before handing over to their team mate.

From Punakaiki the historic trail continues along the road that’s actually only 80 years young being completed in 1929 to offer ‘Coasters’ and others an alternative to the inland route. Look out for penguins over the next 10km – with signs warning you the furry fellows may jump out of the Tasman to take their chances with the traffic…..!

Fox River is the next settlement – or what’s left of it. Originally Brighton – named after the English seaside resort, and once home to 53 hotels!

From Fox it’s inland and the Nikau give way to impressive stands of Rimu (Dacrydium Cupressinum). Just as well Captain Cook didn’t land here on his second voyage back in the 1770’s as the beer he brewed further north with a mixture of leaves from the rimu and manuka may have been perfected even more! ‘We at first made it from a decoction of the spruce leaves (Rimu); but finding that this alone made the beer too astringent, we afterwards mixed it with an equal quantity of the tea tree plant (manuka) which partly destroyed the astringency of the other, and made the beer exceedingly palatable, and esteemed by everyone aboard.’

Charlestown – originally named ‘Charlies Town’ and then Charles Town, before settling on it’s current name was the site of Hannahs Shoes very first shop. Established 1867. Plus it was also home of the first cement buildings in the country and a butter factory. In 1867 Wellington’s Postmaster was awared a promotion to the Charlies Town Post Office which was considered a big step in his career. Population wise the 1867 census recorded 5000 trying their luck on goldfields – all very thirsty after a hard days work as the remains of 99 hotels were found by bottle collectors and documented during 1975-79. The area is now an adventure tourist village noted for it’s limestone caves and caving experiences.

From here it’s not far to Wilsons Lead Road, the turnoff that points you back to the coast. Hopefully as you head towards Cape Foulwind the ‘breeze’ will be at your backs! Don’t be fooled though as Holcim Cement’s chimney stack is still a few clicks away but once there the Carter’s Beach finish shute is soon in sight. The aroma of a wriggling whitebait fritter waffles through the air twitching your nostrils, the thought of your complimentary lager from West Coast Brewing stimulates your saliva glands to replace the liquid spent in your efforts now fully satisfied knowing why the event logo says ……..if there’s one event to put on the list for the ride of a lifetime…….it’s the WildCoaster.

Full details including a training programme written by Greg Fraine to prepare you for the event are available on www.nelsonevents.co.nz
AJ123

Postby AJ123 on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:04pm

Wildside Travel Deals for The WildCoaster

NELSON LOCAL-YOCALS DEAL NZD$155 per person
This weekend package includes:
Pick-up Friday Nelson central. Bus & bike transfer to Greymouth, comfort stop Murchison enroute
Overnight Greymouth - standard motel style
Transfer to registration and start line all riders
Transfer to Punakaiki for relay riders
Transfer to Westport for incoming riders at Punakaiki
Personal gear transfer to finish line in Westport, all riders
Bus and bike transfer back to Nelson after prizegiving
*accommodation based on 'twin-share' unless specified.
*race entry not included

AUCKLAND & NORTH ISLAND BUDDIES DEAL NZD$295 per person
This 3 night package includes:
Pick up from airport and overnight in Nelson Thursday 8th Oct.
Pick-up Friday 9th Oct. Nelson central. Bus & bike transfer to Greymouth, comfort stop Murchison enroute (5 hrs driving time)
Overnight Greymouth - standard motel style
Transfer to registration and start line all riders
Transfer to Punakaiki for relay riders
Transfer to Westport for incoming riders at Punakaiki
Personal gear transfer to finish line in Westport, all riders
Bus and bike transfer back to Nelson after prizegiving
Overnight in Nelson Saturday 10th Oct.
Airport transfer on Sunday 11th Oct.
*accommodation based on 'twin-share' unless specified.
*race entry not included

Call 0800 874 748 to book your package or email: info@wildsidetravel.co.nz
AJ123

Postby tony_11 on Wed 1/Jul/09 4:59pm

Can't believe this is on the same day as the 12 Hour Mtb Event in Chch and the same day as round the Gorges Pegasus race..

I would have gone over to ride this as the course is pretty demanding. But will be riding one of the local events above.
tony_11

Cycling | Greymouth | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | West Coast | Westport - Latest Posts