Postby Francis on Sun 25/Sep/05 11:42am

I'm surprised at the number of people arguing that helmets are only as necessary as things like gloves, body armour, etc. Helmets are by far the most important form of protection as the brain is far less capapble of repair than other parts of your body. If you break your arm, it will generally heal, if you whack your head hard and damage your brain, that damage is permanant. About the only other type of injury that comes close in terms of the effect it will have on your life is spinal injury which is less likely to occur than head injury and at least you'll still be able to think, feed yourself, not vegetate, etc.

If you ride your bike, you will fall off. When you fall off, it is very easy to hit your head. The only forms of protection I wear when riding are my helmet and gloves. The only major bike related injury I've had was a broken arm that probably no form of protection would have prevented and that had very little long term effect on my life, yet there are many occasions where my helmet has prevented concussion and maybe even more severe injuries (for instance the time I was cornering hard and my rear wheel hit something, I was thrown off my bike and my head landed hard on a big, hard rock).

Basically your brain is very easy to damage, unable to repair itself and the consequences of brain damage are HUGE :(
Francis
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 25/Sep/05 12:39pm

In a nutshell.

Francis wrote:Basically your brain is very easy to damage, unable to repair itself and the consequences of brain damage are HUGE :(
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby apodtropehe on Sun 25/Sep/05 1:12pm

Francis wrote:If you break your arm, it will generally heal

Unless you break your elbow ;)
I'll never be able to straighten my arm fully again :(

Ah well! Least I can still ride :)
apodtropehe
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Lurker on Sun 25/Sep/05 4:49pm

DH_nutter wrote:
MycoolManic wrote:
DH_nutter wrote:Damn that sucks how you have to wear a helmet!
OMG!??!!?!?WTF!?!??!?!!?!?

umm, no.

;)

no, whoever doesint wear a helmet sucks :hmmm:

That's what I was saying :crazy:
Maybe you don't understand my weird use of sarcasm :)

Dont worrie, i understood!

i just didnt understand what MycooManic had to say :eh: :D
Lurker
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Lurker on Sun 25/Sep/05 5:04pm

Just thought you guys should know, my mate was doing a small jump and made a small mistake, cased it and went flying face first INTO the concrete! he ripped his nose, top and bottom lips and two front teeth out!

he Was wearing a helmate but it didnt do shit to protect his face!

My point is that you shouldnt underestimate little things AND that also little skid lids dont really do shit. If he really wanted to protect himself he wouldve worn a full face, goggles, body armour, gloves and knee and shin pads.

but he didnt because it was just a little jump and they didnt think much of it!

Motto is that you probably should wear lots of protection even when doing small jumps just to be safe. :thumbsup:
Lurker
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Fraser on Sun 25/Sep/05 9:30pm

Yep brakes are important. :) The old side pull brakes on wet steel rims are a bit of a liability. Thats one box you have ticked for your bike. :) Good for you.
My mates little Mongoose BMX only has a rear brake. Do I tell him not to ride, no I couldn't give a flying one.

Its the implentation of it that I find a bit of a grind. I suppose I feel the same about the way the 100kph speed limit is similarly biblically imposed. :hmmm: Punters passing at 108kph just scares the shitz out of me. It's not 1962 where your car just wouldn't go past 70mph. If it was so simple that staying under 100kph would save lives, then it would be easier to fit a limiter to all cars. Just like riding it isn't just putting on a lid and you are home and hosed. Other places have narrower streets, more cars, more bikes, more people and yet doesn't have the apparent problems that NZ does? :huh:
Fraser
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 26/Sep/05 1:48am

As you recommended that I "Go look at the stats for cyclist injuries before and after the helmet law was brought in." So I did. http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2019.pdf
For those who can't wait for it to be loaded, "Data on head injury rates following the NZ helmet law do not show any real benefit of legislation."

;)
Fraser

Postby apodtropehe on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:07am

Fraser wrote:"Data on head injury rates following the NZ helmet law do not show any real benefit of legislation."

So you're saying that because the statistics say that there haven't been many head injuries caused by not wearing a helmet.. we don't have to wear one :eh: :crazy:
apodtropehe

Postby jeremyb on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:10am

Fraser wrote:For those who can't wait for it to be loaded, "Data on head injury rates following the NZ helmet law do not show any real benefit of legislation."

But does it take into account if the person was actually wearing a helmet at the time? I see so many punters riding about with their helmet on their handlebars...

I love how they did a 'cost benefit' analysis on 5-12 year olds, apparently spending $180k on helmets for them is not good when if they didn't have helmets it'd only amount to $6000 in hospital costs.. did they forget that these were people getting seriously hurt not fucking numbers?? morons.

What cost is somones life?
Last edited by jeremyb on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby headwound on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:11am

deaths and injuries are treated seperately

people survive injuries

deaths arnt counted as injuries ergo head-injury is survivable
headwound
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:13am

Fraser wrote: "Data on head injury rates following the NZ helmet law do not show any real benefit of legislation."

Completely off topic. :hmmm:
phunk
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby apodtropehe on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:13am

"headwound"

What a name to turn up in this thread!

:D
apodtropehe

Postby apodtropehe on Mon 26/Sep/05 9:15am

headwound wrote:deaths and injuries are treated seperately

people survive injuries

deaths arnt counted as injuries ergo head-injury is survivable

It may be survivable, but what are you left as? :crazy:
apodtropehe

Postby Dougal on Mon 26/Sep/05 4:13pm

DH_nutter wrote:It may be survivable, but what are you left as? :crazy:

It varies.

Even a mild head injury will leave you with lifelong fatigue, rapid confusion, the inability to sustain relationships and hold down full time work. You become intolerant of motion, noise and end up with a very short fuse.
You may develop other mental conditions to go with your head injury but you will generally become a health and safety hazard for yourself and everyone around you.

The other end of the scale has a machine breathing for you for the rest of your life (however long that may be).

There is no good side. Other than still being alive.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 26/Sep/05 6:48pm

phunk wrote:
Fraser wrote: "Data on head injury rates following the NZ helmet law do not show any real benefit of legislation."

Completely off topic. :hmmm:

I feel like the scene from The Life of Brain where the guy says this meal is good enough for Jehovah. :D
Fraser

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts