Re: The Stuff.co.nz Thread

Postby philstar on Wed 30/Aug/17 8:30pm

philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby amb236 on Thu 31/Aug/17 11:05am

My fiancee works for BECA, its a long standing rule that staff aren't allowed to cycle to work commitments (other than to and from work). Nothing to do with cycle lanes, just a broad health and safety approach.
amb236
Member for: 4 years 11 months

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 31/Aug/17 11:29am

amb236 wrote:My fiancee works for BECA, its a long standing rule that staff aren't allowed to cycle to work commitments (other than to and from work). Nothing to do with cycle lanes, just a broad health and safety approach.

I work for another generic multi-national engineering consultancy. We recently had an edict from on high that no cycling was permitted for work in Australasia. It was received as a bit of 'ealf and safety gone mad, but the rule stands.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby amb236 on Thu 31/Aug/17 12:04pm

oldandlazy wrote:I work for another generic multi-national engineering consultancy. We recently had an edict from on high that no cycling was permitted for work in Australasia. It was received as a bit of 'ealf and safety gone mad, but the rule stands.

Agreed, not trying to justify it, just trying to clear up the facts in the typically rubbish media reporting.
amb236

Postby philstar on Thu 31/Aug/17 2:32pm

amb236 wrote:My fiancee works for BECA, its a long standing rule that staff aren't allowed to cycle to work commitments (other than to and from work). Nothing to do with cycle lanes, just a broad health and safety approach.

the implication is that if the cycle lanes were safe then it would not be a health and safety issue. and the irony of the compony building the lanes prohibiting there use while working.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby jo on Thu 31/Aug/17 3:01pm

Are they allowed to scooter?

Just wondering if they've done a comprehensive risk review rather than a reflexive "cycling is dangerous so therefore we dont want to impact our risk metrics".

Our CEO has been talking about the risk metrics lately - I think theres increased visibility of these things at a group reporting level.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby amb236 on Thu 31/Aug/17 3:18pm

philstar wrote:the implication is that if the cycle lanes were safe then it would not be a health and safety issue. and the irony of the compony building the lanes prohibiting there use while working.

Do cycle lanes go door to door from every office to every other office/meeting venue/site location? No. So singling out the cycle lanes as the reason why these companies have decided to implement this policy is entirely incorrect.

But yes, I can see why some people find it funny.
Last edited by amb236 on Mon 4/Sep/17 3:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
amb236

Postby EoinC on Mon 4/Sep/17 1:57pm

philstar wrote:...the compony...
Is that a small horse-like creature, having Marxist tendencies?
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Tue 5/Sep/17 2:01pm

jo wrote:Are they allowed to scooter?

Just wondering if they've done a comprehensive risk review rather than a reflexive "cycling is dangerous so therefore we dont want to impact our risk metrics".

Our CEO has been talking about the risk metrics lately - I think theres increased visibility of these things at a group reporting level.

taking something easy to measure instead measuring the correct thing is the bane of my employment (or one of).

this cartoon illustrates it with a risqué subject

http://smbc-comics.com/comic/2014-08-28
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby dwgknz on Thu 5/Oct/17 7:06am

Woot! Porirua is the best location for this as it's most accessible from all over the region. Just got to sort out the local NIMBYs

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/97533853/this-is-the-big-one-21m-adventure-park-a-gamechanger-for-porirua-economy

Hope someone slows down and gets engagement from all the groups in the area. I hope this doesn't impact any access in other areas in Wellington, the Hutt or Kapiti because diversity is important.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 24/Nov/17 10:44am

swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Claude on Sun 26/Nov/17 9:24pm

Kind of swtchbckr - I was racing but had been dropped off the group and was about 100m behind it all when the sh.t hit the fan. Not nice to see it from that angle, there were bodies and bikes flying everywhere.
Was essentially three bunches (which themselves were a combo of other bunches that come together earlier in the race) all coming together at the finish of the handicap race (spot on handicapping really) - about 45 riders forming up at the time everyone was starting to sprint. Two of the guys on the front got tied up and it all went to hell.
The Stuff report was later updated with an interview with the most seriously injured young girl (crushed vertebrae), she has a 3 month recovery ahead. Bit of a bugger as there were two other U17's in the injured list too. Typical youngsters perhaps, but I've been told they're taking it well and wearing their scars with a bit of pride :) Everyone is on the mend anyway.
Just one of those racing incidents we all try to avoid, but still a big shock even to the older brigade who have lost some skin themselves at some time.

Cheers
Claude
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby 13daza on Mon 27/Nov/17 10:09pm

This drivers probably going to get a slap with a damp tea towel, someone needs to pay him an old fashioned visit with a baseball bat while hes on home D ..... what a wanker.

props to the dude for getting his picture while he drove away at least hes been caught, scary there are idiots like this out there

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/992770 ... -hitandrun
13daza
Member for: 4 years 0 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 28/Nov/17 12:38am

If it was an 'accident' then yeah, just a $50 fine and some demerit points but I think clear deliberation like that will get you in pretty big trouble. I hope.
Wish the guy a speedy recovery.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby matnz on Tue 28/Nov/17 8:42am

Wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (max 14 years) seems about right to me. Twerp will claim he had a brain fart and had no intent despite 'stalking' the cyclist for a time. He probably won't even get an Aggravated assault (maximum penalty – three years), so will get let off with a slap on the wrist with a wet bus ticket.

I love our 'justice' system.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 11 months

Sifting - Latest Posts