Re: The Stuff.co.nz Thread

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 14/Jun/16 1:41pm

And while I'm at it, who can legitimately swerve to avoid a cyclist and swerve into a parked car. Was the cyclist in their lane coming towards them? Other than that I genuinely struggle to see how this could happen. Maaaaybe the driver came up too quickly behind the cyclist and couldn't use their brakes so had to swerve into the car? Cyclist on wrong side of the road in the middle of the lane and cycling head on into the truck? I don't understand. Maybe someone could draw me a picture?

It just irks me that the police aren't thoroughly investigating this shitbag.
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 15/Jun/16 10:16am

When it was a mysterious cyclists fault Paul Eagle was happy to point fingers, but now that the existence of a mysterious cyclist has been questioned Paul Eagle doesn't want to point fingers? Sad that, 1. the truck driver immediately sought to put the blame onto someone else (who is already marginalised) and 2. that Paul Eagle is encouraging this.

Where are these people's morals? How do they sleep at night? I just don't understand how people can not own their life choices and as a society we don't hold them to account.
Barbsarama

Postby Rik on Wed 15/Jun/16 10:45am

Okay just so I understand this, how I read it now is that the beef that people have is that the road is "apparently" too narrow to accommodate a parking lane, and a cycle lane, and a traffic lane.
I'm pretty sure the city planners would have ensured these all meet the minimum width requirements, but that not withstanding what the council have done have swapped the lanes around so that now when a driver attempts to squeeze through a gap that their vehicle won't fit, they are running into a parked car damaging their own and another (innocent) persons vehicle as opposed to damaging a person who just happens to be on a bicycle, with little if any damage to their own vehicle.

Of course local residents, who are highly likely to use the parking or traffic lanes as opposed the cyclelane are against the layout. They don't want to risk damaging their vehicles.

You would hope the council see things differently though. and ignore this storm in a tea cup.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 15/Jun/16 10:47am

:withstupid:
Barbsarama

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 15/Jun/16 11:18am

Why swerve to avoid a cyclist (assuming there was one) when you could just apply the brakes? Unless the cyclist suddenly teleported in, then popped back out again just after the crash... :blink:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 15/Jun/16 11:19am

Alien cyclists now... :blink:
Barbsarama

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 20/Jun/16 1:17pm

Can we just execute this shitball already?

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article ... d=11659791
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 30/Jun/16 8:20am

I don't get it
dwgknz

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 30/Jun/16 10:54am

just after the war, the Aus and NZ governments encouraged immigration from UK by paying the sea passage of migrants. The scheme when on for decades. Initially the migrants contributed 10 quid to the passage, and thereafter became know as 10 pound POMS.

guess it wasn't common knowledge then.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 6/Jul/16 9:01am

Saw this and thought oh no more nimbyism:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/81652580/antiskypath-group-claims-there-could-be-human-crushes-on-cycleway

But on reading the give a little page (sorry no sad face pic = no money) see that they have some really valid points that Stuff sensationalist reporting over looks. I didn't see any comparisons to mecca or mention on a crush.

So what's the real dealio? Is skypath a tourist attraction or a piece of transport infrastructure?
dwgknz

Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 6/Jul/16 11:21am

Stink!

Another black mark for 2016, and another for concussions leading to depression or mental illness.

Careful with your brains folks.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Kyle on Wed 6/Jul/16 11:28am

dwgknz wrote:Saw this and thought oh no more nimbyism:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/81652580/antiskypath-group-claims-there-could-be-human-crushes-on-cycleway

But on reading the give a little page (sorry no sad face pic = no money) see that they have some really valid points that Stuff sensationalist reporting over looks. I didn't see any comparisons to mecca or mention on a crush.

So what's the real dealio? Is skypath a tourist attraction or a piece of transport infrastructure?

It's entirely disingenuous to compare the crowd at a one off specific event using non dedicated infrastructure and designed to attract people for the novelty of it to what the sky path is actually designed to achieve. Then they try and claim it's a complete white elephant because no one is going to use it, it requires some pretty twisted logic for both these to be true at the same time. Their arguments about the costing/funding and support infrastructure either side of it hold some weight but are ruined by the chronic nimbyism they preface it with. They just don't want riff raff parking in "their" street side parking spot and by association bringing down property values.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Sifting - Latest Posts